Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by aap View Post
do I have the wrong tool for the job?
I don't think anybody can answer that except you, but, Airstreams are not designed for extreme roads as some other specialized trailers are.

Keep in mind for the future even small tree branches will scratch through your clear coat into your aluminum skin.

What are you towing with?

Old 08-28-2016, 05:41 PM   #44
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by featherbedder View Post
I don't think AS gives a dam about Owners after pur. a AS new. I am registered owner of a New 1976 AS in 1977. Suburban furnace had recall because some people died from failure of furnace. I had this prob. but caught before we died I pur furnace replaced, only found out out recall when neighbor that used to work in repair at JC. So far zilch from AS about this recall, so is this proper custmr. care I think not. I retained all paper from pur. As of this date nada from AS. This was my 5th AS + 1 Argosy. I still own 76 AS. but no more......................
That was a recall by the furnace mfg., not AS.AS repaired the units, your complaint is with the furnace mfg.

Old 08-28-2016, 05:52 PM   #45
aap
2 Rivet Member

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
Very well stated. Thanks
Just for the record, we agree on overall quality and did tons of research before selecting the Airstream.

I also pride myself on figuring out the best way to do things, and we purchased the best components to meet our anticipated needs/desires.

We went above and beyond to make sure we did all the right things before this 1st major outing.

As a new owner and beginner in this world, I read everything I could, but depended on the dealers expertise - its obvious that the hinges and latches are problematic, but I would never have thought so - why would I have to upgrade these items after spending what many might spend on a home - it just wasn't logical from my perspective.

Perhaps I was naïve to believe everything that Airstream talks about regarding Brand, Quality, Service - and, if you look at their homepage, most everyone of the trailers is in some type of offish road situation, in some cases way worse than this state hwy we traveled.

I take ownership and driving this item very seriously, but there is a theme on this thread and it doesn't speak as well for Airstream as they speak of themselves - live an learn.

Funny thing is, I purchased the trailer to "disconnect" I never anticipated spending hours on a forum discussing dollar items that failed...I would have upgraded all of these things had I been told be the dealer ahead of time - does the dealer have no responsibility to their customer?

I just want our trailer back, we are ready for our next evolution
Old 08-28-2016, 05:58 PM   #46
aap
2 Rivet Member

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
I don't think anybody can answer that except you, but, Airstreams are not designed for extreme roads as some other specialized trailers are.

Keep in mind for the future even small tree branches will scratch through your clear coat into your aluminum skin.

What are you towing with?
Now you have me worried about hail

We tow with a 2010 F150 FX4x4 with the large v8 and the Blue Ox hitch/wds

I think we have right item, we never intended to do anything extreme, nor did we - but we were hoping to goto AK, and take it a few miles in on some "good" forest roads that we know of, and some that we don't just yet...this has been a great learning experience and I think in the end, we have the right tool, the tool needs a few modifications as does the tool driving it

I would love to know the cost of goods on this thing...
Old 08-28-2016, 06:03 PM   #47
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
I know the road in glacier. Took my 94 down it with regrets. My regret was the time. I crept along. No damage just beer I could not open right away.I use an Air Ride hitch system and it was still rough going. If your intention is off roading I am afraid you bought the wrong trailer. AS is a great product but I am pretty sure Jackson Center is more concerned with us retired snowbirds than a millennial off roader. As a campground host I have seen several off road trailers and motorhomes. Right now we have an off road pop up in the park. these units are built to withstand the rigors if unpaved roads, the Airstream is not. Let me offer a compromise. State Parks, Federal Forests, Army Corps Parks. We never, never stay at an RV park and our Airstream is like new after 22 years of service and tens of thousands of travel miles. As for that road in Glacier, I learned my lesson and will stay away from it and others like it. I wish you happy travels and lots of fun with your new trailer.
Old 08-28-2016, 06:04 PM   #48
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Sherwood , Oregon
We have the Blue Ox Sway Pro with 1K bars as our tongue wt. is 812#. Three dots on the bar indicate 1K, two dots, 750#. I count from the bitter end of the chain and have the eighth link in the slot on the rotating head. I recently tried the ninth link but over the same road found a lot more items in the AS on the floor indicating a rougher ride. You should have approx 2-1/2" of bar deflection. Good luck in resolving this.
Old 08-28-2016, 06:04 PM   #49
aap
2 Rivet Member

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGlen View Post
When we purchased our new 2014 23 ft we had very similar problems to yours. We took it to the dealer several times after 3 different trips and ALL the repair work was done under factory warranty.
We had problems with the microwave, refrigerator, drawers and cupboards, water pump, fridge fan and sensor for water levels, black and great tank.
We estimate we have about 30,000 miles on the trailer now and aside from needing to replace the tires, fixing the hinges periodically etc., all seems to be ok.
You should definitely start with the dealer and go to the President of Airstream if you don't get satisfaction on these issues.
Good luck.
I love Canada

Good to know, there is hope around the corner - thanks!
Old 08-28-2016, 06:08 PM   #50
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
The roads probably aren't any better up there.
Old 08-28-2016, 06:11 PM   #51
aap
2 Rivet Member

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaplain Kent View Post
I know the road in glacier. Took my 94 down it with regrets. My regret was the time. I crept along. No damage just beer I could not open right away.I use an Air Ride hitch system and it was still rough going. If your intention is off roading I am afraid you bought the wrong trailer. AS is a great product but I am pretty sure Jackson Center is more concerned with us retired snowbirds than a millennial off roader. As a campground host I have seen several off road trailers and motorhomes. Right now we have an off road pop up in the park. these units are built to withstand the rigors if unpaved roads, the Airstream is not. Let me offer a compromise. State Parks, Federal Forests, Army Corps Parks. We never, never stay at an RV park and our Airstream is like new after 22 years of service and tens of thousands of travel miles. As for that road in Glacier, I learned my lesson and will stay away from it and others like it. I wish you happy travels and lots of fun with your new trailer.
This is music to our ears, and something we have been researching, as the thought of being regulated to RV parks is a big turn-off.

We ate lots of dust created by other vehicles on the road, but the benefit was a filthy, non-shiny airstream - it was awesome.

We stopped after 10 miles because of the pace and all the other vehicles creating a dust storm.

Thanks for the info-

Anthony/Angela
Old 08-28-2016, 06:11 PM   #52
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bev1940 View Post
I feel sorry for all those folks who finally bought a new AS only to realize it's not what they expected! I would never buy an AS built after 2002. That's when Thor bought AS and the quality has gone rapidly downhill since then. My 1978 is not a posh as a new one but after many thousand miles the only thing I've had an issue with is the bottom cupboard door hinges I replaced them with piano hinges and no problems.
My 1994 is a Thor built AS and a great trailer.
Old 08-28-2016, 06:12 PM   #53
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaplain Kent View Post
There ya go, advice from an experienced owner whose traveled the road you were on.
Old 08-28-2016, 06:19 PM   #54
aap
2 Rivet Member

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWRVR View Post
We have the Blue Ox Sway Pro with 1K bars as our tongue wt. is 812#. Three dots on the bar indicate 1K, two dots, 750#. I count from the bitter end of the chain and have the eighth link in the slot on the rotating head. I recently tried the ninth link but over the same road found a lot more items in the AS on the floor indicating a rougher ride. You should have approx 2-1/2" of bar deflection. Good luck in resolving this.
This sounds exactly like the setup we have, which leave 3.5 links showing on the bottom end

What kind of gas mileage you getting in the F350? - I want to upgrade to an F250 for sure. Interestingly enough, and a Kudo for Airstream, our gas mileage was only 1mpg less than normal on the way to Montana, and close to normal on the way home...
Old 08-28-2016, 06:52 PM   #55
PKI
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
The roads probably aren't any better up there.
Actually they were this spring. And even the repaving transitions were smooth. The problem is that fuel costs were a bit higher. Pat
Old 08-28-2016, 06:57 PM   #56
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by aap View Post
Hey Everyone -

My wife and I have been lurkers on the forum until now - we very much appreciate all of the fine/detailed information we have found to date - thank you all very much. Its our hope that we can/will contribute in some way in the very near future.

We just got back from our 1st major trip, which happens to be the 2nd time we have used our purchased new in Feb of this year, 2015 FB Flying Cloud.
We put a total of 1987 miles from Seattle to Montana. The trip was mostly great with some major disappointments related to, what I consider, manufacturer defects, although the dealer says I need to put these things on insurance - would love to know your thoughts on the following:

Let me start off by saying during purchase, we spent an extra 5k or so on a Lift Kit and 15 rims/tires as we wanted to be able to take the trailer to Alaska and on forest service roads, with RV parks being a last resort.

Well on our first foray on a non-paved, but relatively smooth gravel road, resulted in a wide variety of internal damage - approximately 10 miles up this road in Glacier National Forest - we stopped for lunch and were horrified to find this disaster on the inside:

[*]Microwave was not secured and came out hitting the refrigerator door[*]Refrigerator door bottom plate had come off due to Microwave hit[*]One closet door came completely off[*]One closed door had lost its bottom hinge[*]The TV had come completely out[*]One Window shade came off[*]One of the windows came open and bent the hinges out which secure it[*]2 drawer slid out completely and were laying on the floor

I had my wife pull the trailer when I was in it for a minute and was shocked to see how much EVERYTHING vibrates/moves even on a paved road.

Our assessment (keep in mind this is our 1st trailer), the latches on the cabinets stick, and the hinges come loose...the Microwave wasn't secured at all it was just sitting inside its respective hole, not sure what the heck happened to the TV...I believe the window shade came off due to faulty hinges that keep in place.

Our ask to the forum
We did some searching on the forum and see more than a few folks experienced some heart ache with cabinets, in my mind everything we experienced was due to manufacturing defects, and yet the dealer, Airstream Adventures NW in Covington WA is saying I need to file an insurance claim - this just seems wrong.

Final thoughts
I'm not sure at this point how any of you folks boondock on forest roads or travel off the beaten path - is this a matter of custom modifications on my part...we spoke to another Flying Cloud owner at an RV park outside of Missoula (Jim and Mary's - very nice!!!) she told us that one of their main upper cabinets structures just came off during a trip...do I have the wrong tool for the job?

Thanks in advance for listening and any words of wisdom/guidance.

Anthony/Angela
My 2 cents worth, considering the number of issues you have with your trailer I would invest the time and effort and take it Jackson Center. I don't know of any Airstream dealer capable to deal with all your issues you to your satisfaction. I had a number of issues after purchasing our 2013 30' International and got everything redone by the factory service center 100% in a very timely manner.