Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2009, 06:30 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1978 29' Ambassador
Walnut Cove , North Carolina
Whale watching

I am throwing out this inquiry in the hopes that the forum members who have been such a wonderful help with so many questions can once again rescue me. I have a 7 year old granddaughter who has a dream of being a whale trainer, excuse me a Behaviorial scientist. I am looking for an opportunity to take her whale watching on the east coast, hopefully along the Outer Banks or Virginia (VA is actually closer) if any of you have had this experience or have suggestions, this Grandma would really appreciate any information.
Old 06-12-2009, 08:28 AM   #2
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by danalee View Post
I am throwing out this inquiry in the hopes that the forum members who have been such a wonderful help with so many questions can once again rescue me. I have a 7 year old granddaughter who has a dream of being a whale trainer, excuse me a Behaviorial scientist. I am looking for an opportunity to take her whale watching on the east coast, hopefully along the Outer Banks or Virginia (VA is actually closer) if any of you have had this experience or have suggestions, this Grandma would really appreciate any information.
The Whales have most likely moved north for the winter. Their winter calfing is the Georgia and Northern Florida Coasts. My former company has the contract for tracking the whales and making sure ships stay away while birthing.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 08:50 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
2005 25' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Athens , Georgia
Sounds like a fun trip you have to plan danalee, I remember seeing whales off of the northern Fla. coast a couple of years ago, it wasn't expected so it was even more exciting to us. Hope you are doing well.

Roy B
Roy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 09:33 AM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
North might mean Maine or New Brunswick, if not even further. Those areas are very scenic anyway, even if you don't see any whales.

The only time I tried whale watching, Greenpeace showed up and tried pushing me back in the water.
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 12:46 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Anywhere & , Everywhere
Go to Newfoundland, Bay Bulls on the Avalon Peninsula south of St John's. Took a great whale watching trip out of there several years ago and also saw lots of puffins. Well worth it.
Al - K4GLU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 04:57 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
My wife saw whales on Cape Cod a couple of weeks ago.
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 06:00 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
I used to live in Seattle and would fly a Cessna out to Orcas Island, but I never did see any whales.

Only whales I ever saw were in Daytona, FL, wearing 2-pieces bikini's (they really should not have!)

All jokes aside, good luck with this. I've seen tons of dolphins on the east coast. Rehobeth Beach Delaware is a good place for dolphins. But I've never seen a whale.

I wish you the best of luck,
Old 06-12-2009, 06:15 PM   #8
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Whales.

Whale watching is great during the "watch" season, in Hawaii.

They have ships that take tourists out everyday, and not very far from land.

But, the season is over, for now.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 10:51 PM   #9
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatsandi View Post
The Whales have most likely moved north for the winter. Their winter calfing is the Georgia and Northern Florida Coasts. My former company has the contract for tracking the whales and making sure ships stay away while birthing.
Ok Brain dead. Moved north from winter to summer grounds.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 07:45 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
North/East , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by danalee View Post
danalee....The Stellwagen Bank Marine Sanctuary is north of Cape Cod, Mass and has whale sightings from May to Oct. There are numerous boats that leave Cape Cod and Boston to do whale watching at Stellwagen. The New England Aquarium has whale watching boats and also has a program "Be a Trainer For An Afternoon" that your granddaughter may be interested. Trainer for the afternoon