Old 06-11-2011, 12:16 PM   #1
Islander

2005 28' International CCD
Deer Harbor , ORCAS ISLAND WA
Westward HO! Towards the Oregon trail

Well the BuckEYE tour has closed...we spent a wonderful tour of Ohio. We stopped at numerous state parks in the southern half of ohio and closed out the tour with a brief stop at the Palooza and a final stop at St Mary's Ohio and Dillion Lake state park.

This was after the receiver hitch twisted off the truck at Indian Lake state park and then an electrical short that fried the shore power connection on the airstream and my laptop was attacked by a virus and died . And all the while in Ohio my verizon ULM 290 4G aircard was on the blink and after numerous hours on the phone with verizon tech support and a new device....i decided to switch to a verizon MIFI and it is great.....

Then it was on to Indiana and a stay at Prophetstown state park at west lafeyette.....a beautiful park....we really enjoyed all of the stops in indiana.

Then on westward to Illinois and first stop Clinton and Weldon Springs state park ...where the air conditioner on the truck started acting crazy..... But onward to the Moraine View rally near Le Roy, Ill where we are now with a great group of folks......

Headed out tomorrow for the first Iowa stop at a Corp of Engineers park on the Mississippi river near Montplier, IA.......

WBCCI 2541

4CU
kingfisher24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 12:26 PM   #2
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
You guys sure get around! Sorry to ear about the issues you have had, but you have been to some great placed on you travels.

BTW, the UML290 has been nothing but trouble for me at work. Verizon swapped them all (20) out for the LG VL600 which have worked very well.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 03:18 PM   #3

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Great trip report, kingfisher24. I'm glad to see that you are getting to so many places. Sorry for your technical difficulties. I've had the same grief with the GM OEM receivers. They are junk. I guess GM doesn't think that you will tow anything of any substance or use a WD hitch.

We have also dealt with the cell phone internet thing for a number of years. Internet is very important to us as we run our business on-line. We are with Verizon also (Came from Alltel). We used a hard wire tether from SuEllyn's phone for about 4 years. This worked well. We recently went with a hotspot off SuEllyn's new smart phone. This seem to work very well and we can both be on at the same time.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 03:15 PM   #4
Islander

on the road

overnight temps near bloomigton, Ill were in the 50's....great....sat by the fire with all the great folks and then hooked up and headed west about 9AM.

Interstate 74 was not bad on a sunday morning.

we arrived in Iowa, our first stop is on the mississippi river. a beautiful corp of engineers facility at clarks ferry. parked on the banks of the river literally, less than 100 yards to the river.

we will spend two nights here and then continue onward to rock creek state park near newton, iowa
WBCCI 2541

4CU
Old 06-12-2011, 06:45 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
One of the several score trips I want to take is to follow the Oregon Trail. Several years ago was an anniversary of it—probably 150 years. There should be books available to tell you how to find it and the historical info. Of course, towing an Airstream along the actual trail may be difficult and you may lose another hitch receiver.

I'm eager to read about what you find and see some photos of the Trail.

Gene
Old 06-13-2011, 01:19 PM   #6
Islander

Clark's Ferry, iowa

Along Iowa route 22...a scenic river road between buffalo, iowa and muscatine there are at least four great camping spots located right on the river.....beautiful spots.

we made a day trip today following route 22 and US Hwy 61 along the river and up and among the soybean and corn fields of Iowa...great country side frull of scenic wetlands and endless fields of crops.

This area has great access to the mighty river,, we also stopped at wildcats den state park and it too would make a great stop in the area....

onward thru the fog.....
WBCCI 2541

4CU
Old 06-13-2011, 02:14 PM   #7
Full Timers/Diesel power.

1983 31' Airstream310
Cactus Hug , Arizona
Are you following the L&C Trail all the way to Astoria, Oregon? We followed the route from the Rockies to the Pacific. A neat site is :

Lewis and Clark Expidition
Old 06-14-2011, 08:27 AM   #8
Islander

raining in iowa

awoke about 1 am and it was raining cats and dogs...and it continued to rain the remainder of the night....it has stopped as of now...sky is still overcast and we continue our journey in a little while...west to rock creek state park near newton, iowa....

rain is moving east.......
WBCCI 2541

4CU
Old 06-15-2011, 03:48 PM   #9
Islander

rolling countryside of iowa

we are really suprised at the terrain in southern iowa...thinking it would all be very flat.....not....it is beautiful rolling terrain...hills and dales much like missouri.

I find Iowa to be very beautiful...with its terraced farm land full of soybeans and cotton and large wooded area.

We have avoided the interstate for the most part across iowa...taking route 22 west and then up to US 6 for the journey to rock creek state park at kellogg, iowa....a beautiful lake and campground.

one highlight today as we motored west on route 92...was winterset, iowa....HOME TOWN of John Wayne....it also is in Madison county ...as in the Bridges of Madison County...the movie...it is full of covered bridges......

we have now arrived in Nebraska...crossed the folloding Missouri river at Council Bluffs...with no problem and then found our way to Louisville. NE and a great state parke on the platte river.....

here for one night and then west to Grand Island, NE for a stay of one night at Windmill SRA.....

we came upon a "tractorcade"...this morning....a procession of about 50 or so antique tractors,,,rolling down route 14 north....had traffic backed up for miles....luckily I was going in the opposite direction

rain is over...it appears
WBCCI 2541

4CU
Old 06-15-2011, 06:23 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I don't think there's any cotton growing in Iowa, honey, but lots of corn and soybeans.

Glad you found Winterset! A beautiful town, and such a well-maintained and developed old Main Street. Lots of locals were extras in "Bridges of Madison County", which was filmed there, including hubby's cousin and his wife.

Travel safe,

Maggie
Old 06-17-2011, 03:21 PM   #11
Islander

pressing on west

and there is no cotton either in iowa or nebraska, or illinois and any where north of the mason dixon line......my mind wandered back to texas...

any way...we move on...last night at another nebraska state park...windmill SRA near Gibbon...exit 275 IH 80. a beautiful overnight stay.....about midnight the wind began to howl and lighting and rain brought a wonderful coolness to the night......

up this morning and westward ho...down uS 30 keeping off the interstate where possible to our next stop at ogallaga, nebraska and a commercial campground...country view....a fairly nice place if not somewhat expensive @$36....but only a stop over and then onward tomorrow to terry bison ranch at cheyenne, wy.... another commercial...but then a treat after that, i hope as we make our way to seminoe state park north of rawlings, wy......should be just beautiful...right on the continental divide........and my 65th birthday
WBCCI 2541

4CU
Old 06-17-2011, 08:40 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Lamy , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfisher24 View Post
and my 65th birthday
Well HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU! We will tip a cold one in your honor.

TAC NM-1
Four Corners Unit Treasurer
WBCCI 5279, AIR #24915
KF5RGU
Howard E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 08:54 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
HAPPY BIRTHDAY, CARROLL!

Travel safe,

Doug & Maggie
Old 06-18-2011, 09:56 AM   #14
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
I suppose you are already too far west but in Minden, Neb. there's a great Pioneer Museum. They have a campground, but it's really only a place to stay w/hookups. Camping fee includes 1 admission to the museum so it makes it a good overnight value. Nothing else to see or do in the area but the museum is worth the overnight stop.

Enjoy the world.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote