Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-16-2010, 06:27 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2017 30' Flying Cloud
2008 23' International
Keremeos , British Columbia
Thanks for all the information about Yellowstone. We'll be heading there for a few days after the "Hands across the Border" rally in Helena, Montana in September. Can't wait!

2017 30' FC | 2002 Chinook Destiny | 2008 23' Int. CCD (written off: hail!)
bolerama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 06:33 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatlakes View Post
We'll be there the whole month of September. Where did you see the most, around Tower Falls? Thanks.
Hey there Frank,

We saw the sow with the three cubs at the north end of the Hayden Valley above the bison herd. The place is called "Grizzly Overlook" by the rangers.

We then moved a mile or so north and witnessed the wolf pack sorting out the elk herd stragglers. Our Grandson, when we mentioned it was time to head out for our dinner reservations said, "I'd rather watch wolves than eat!" That was the quote of the trip to date.

Have fun in the park.
Old 08-16-2010, 06:34 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolerama View Post
Thanks for all the information about Yellowstone. We'll be heading there for a few days after the "Hands across the Border" rally in Helena, Montana in September. Can't wait!
We met some of your wonderful fellow countrymen here in the park and from your neighborhood too! Have a great time and safe travels.
Old 08-30-2010, 07:24 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
We just returned from 6,115 miles of travel across this great land from The Commonwealth of Virginia to the Tetons, Yellowstone and The Beartooth Wilderness! What an adventure and yet we're still speaking and still married. We saw wildlife galore but the best part was seeing so many Grizzly Bears in Yellowstone, seven in all. It's the year of the bear for certain. Flyfishing Rock Creek in The Beartooth, my brother-in-law and I looked up and had a huge bull moose standing between us in the water! Did that big fella ever make that stream look small. What a photo op for a sporting goods calendar and I left the camera in the truck! The quote of the trip was out of our grandson's mouth while watching a wolf pack cut out elk from a herd up on the Yellowstone River. We reminded each other that we would miss a dinner reservation at The Old Faithful Inn when he told us, "I'd rather watch wolves than eat". Indeed. The Bookies and Bows co-operated in The Haylite and on Rock Creek. We had a blast fishing, sightseeing, getting lost and most of all laughing. As for fellow Airstreamers; you guys were out in great numbers and we quite counting and just flashed headlights and waved when passing each other. In camp we conversed with everyone we met in Bauxite and there were lots of you. Airstreaming is indeed alive and well across America and Canada too. We're beginning to talk up next Summer and hope you are as well. Until then.....
Old 08-30-2010, 07:47 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB International CCD
Leesburg , Virginia
We, too, are from Virginia and are beginning a similar trip on September 10th, but only for two weeks. We have a new Airstream and are so excited to start our Big Adventure, we can hardly stand to wait till the 10th! Hope we don't freeze out there...
WBCCI #2515
TAC #VA-9
golfgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 06:00 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
Golfgal, You'll love it. Take full tanks of propane as you'll most likely use your furnace, especially in the mornings to take the chill out. The coldest temperature we experienced was 37F and it warmed up quickly. Jackets were the order of the day for the early mornings. Our Grandchildren swam in the rivers and enjoyed the warmth of the hot springs flowing into the streams here and there to warm themselves. The crowds had begun to leave the parks while we were there due to schools beginning to start across the land so not all the camps were full to capacity. We found no need for reservations on the trip home which was nice. Much to our pleasure, the Interstate Highway System and bridges are or have been under repair and for the most part the roadways were smooth and free of chug holes. It's about time! We graded the system at about 85% and it was nice to see the long overdue improvements. Have a great time out west. Dick and Annie
Old 08-31-2010, 08:21 AM   #27
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Thanks for the report, Zoomin - it's a beautiful country and the only bad thing is that so much of it is so danged far away from here!

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 10:00 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
Right you are Pat BUT from Acadia, ME to Key West, FLA there's still lots to see for we 'Right Coasters' wouldn't you agree? Have fun out there and......
Old 08-31-2010, 12:13 PM   #29
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
And right you are as well! We're going to take a slow drift down the Blue Ridge Parkway next week. No particular destination, just get up into the cooler hills and enjoy the ride.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 01:57 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
Pat,

The older we get the more we enjoy "Slow Drifts" . Our trip out west was taken in five easy segments of 400 or so miles per day. We arrived refreshed and rested. Ditto for the trip home. We may even do smaller segments in the future now that we experienced how nice this worked out for us. It's nice to be retired and able to do that. When we were younger with more energy and less time we rushed around and came home to rest.
Old 08-31-2010, 04:59 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

Leesburg , Virginia
Thanks, Dick and Annie, for your words of wisdom. I think we'll also throw in a snow scraper! My brother and sister-in-law were just out there in Yellowstone visiting their daughter (our niece), who is a park ranger in Yellowstone. The morning they were leaving to fly home, there was ice all over their car and they had no scraper. Yikes! I think we'll be packing everything from soup to nuts in the way of clothing - even some gloves - and I'll make sure we have two full propane tanks before we get out there. We have reservations at Fishing Bridge RV Park, since it's near where my niece is living. We'll be at Colter Bay RV Park in Grand Teton NP as soon as we leave Yellowstone. We're going to attempt to get up to the Beartooth Highway on one of our Yellowstone days. (We've been to Yellowstone before.) Anyway, I'll let you know how it goes!

Ann Sue
WBCCI #2515
TAC #VA-9
Old 08-31-2010, 07:10 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
Colter Bay RV was good for us and had a good grocery store, gift shop, laundry and shower which some of our party used. Since two different management companies run the two parks we felt Teton was run better than Yellowstone when it came to conveniences. Just our opinion. Fishing Bridge looked good to us; however, we stayed in Grants this trip. Have a great trip and send a note now and again to let us all know how it's going. Warm regards, Dick and Annie
Old 08-31-2010, 07:38 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Great report. I can add that the temps are dropping, we just left Colter Bay a couple of nights ago, it was 31 degrees one morning. The full hookup side of the camp was full every night.

5 bars of 3G ATT available at the Jackson Lodge and Willow overlook. 5 bars of Edge in Colter Bay with a Wilson Amp but things acted wierd, I could received everything but could only send text messages with no attachments.

We left and headed south...here's our travel Blog

Airstream Forums - HiHoAgRV
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 07:48 PM   #34
1 Rivet Member

1993 21' Sovereign
Scaly Mountain , North Carolina
Westward Ho!

We are also heading west in our 21 ft 1993 Sovereign on Sept 11. This will be our first long trip in our AS. We're spending a couple of nights in Highline State Park on the western slope of the Rockies before heading to Jackson Hole and on to Yellowstone. Thanks for the information about being prepared for cooler weather at this time of year. I just bought a Flip Video camera for the trip so I can post videos for friends and relatives. We also can't wait.
earlwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 07:50 PM   #35
2 Rivet Member

Leesburg , Virginia
Hey, HiHo, sure enjoyed reading your blog and looking at those gorgeous pics! Hope we're as lucky as you've been in seeing the sights. Loved the Ball of Twine! Who knew?
WBCCI #2515
TAC #VA-9
Old 08-31-2010, 08:36 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2008 23' Safari FB SE
Boulder , Colorado
Beartooth etc

Zoom -

I loved reading your report. This is my stomping grounds - lived in Bozeman MT and Colorado for 8 years and I love the Rockies. I am amazed that you saw 7 grizz and wolves. That is quite rare so enjoy it! (and be safe!)

Glad you enjoyed your visit. The Beartooths are spectacular, aren't they?

Thanks for sharing your experience. Made me want to hitch up my AS and head out to the park!

Sandy
bonginator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 06:25 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
Should any of you plan on doing some fly fishing while out in or near the parks, we found a honey hole of a stream out of Bozeman, MT...The Haylite below Haylite Resevoir. It was loaded with the darkest wild "Bows" that were beautiful. We could have caught hundreds in half a day if we wanted. Brookies were abundant as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0063.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	501.7 KB
ID:	109897  
Old 09-01-2010, 06:29 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
Over in The Beartooth we found Rock Creek held abundant Brookies and Bows. Fish the "Moosie" looking flats. This photo is from a small island that held Bookies on one side and just upstream less than fifty yards were the Bows. Quite a spot.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMGP0181.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	533.3 KB
ID:	109898  
Old 09-01-2010, 09:04 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2008 23' Safari FB SE
Boulder , Colorado
Hyalite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoominC6 View Post
Should any of you plan on doing some fly fishing while out in or near the parks, we found a honey hole of a stream out of Bozeman, MT...The Haylite below Haylite Resevoir. It was loaded with the darkest wild "Bows" that were beautiful. We could have caught hundreds in half a day if we wanted. Brookies were abundant as well.
Yes - this is a great stream. It is on the South side of town and is off 19th ave toward Hyalite Reservoir. By the way, you can sight fish for giant cutthroats at the inlet to Hyalite reservoir if you drive up there and the water level is low enough. Very fun. Also a couple of nice camping sites along the way that are national forest campgrounds.

Also not far from the Gallatin river where A River Runs Through It was filmed.

Have fun!

Sandy
bonginator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 06:09 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
Average sized Rock Creek "Brookie" up off The Beartooth. Fun on a three weight!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PICT0076.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	633.9 KB
ID:	109951