Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-07-2011, 07:14 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas
Western New Mexico ?

I know that New Mexico have suffered severe wild fires recently. Ive tried to reasearch and see how badly the exstent of the damages are but Im not really getting the info I need. We are planning a Western trip across Texas into New Mexico and staying in the Gila National Forrest, then from there up I-25 through Albuquerque, SantaFe, to Bandelier National Monument. And finally from there on into Colorado.
I would hate to drive all that way and view nothing but burnt landscape, that would be such a disappointment.

Can anyone give me any feedback on the conditions of these areas?

We are kinda leaning on our plan B which leaves out New Mexico since we are uncertain of the conditon. We have until September the 3rd to make our choice of path. Any suggestions or information will be appreciated.
Mr & Mrs S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 07:28 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
There appears to be lots of info on this site:

Gila National Forest- Home

It looks like there might still be some areas closed to visitors, but the notification is dated last month. Since they have received some rain in the past couple of weeks (I think), that may have changed.

There is lots more to see in New Mexico. Don't forget Carlsbad Caverns National Park and the areas around Ruidoso and Cloudcroft, which are in the mountains east of the Silver City area. Also, White Sands/Alamagordo/Valley of Fires area is beautiful, but may be very hot at this time of year.

While I wouldn't avoid New Mexico, the Colorado Rockies got a lot of snow last winter; and it's really green and cool there.

Others that have recently visited (or live in) New Mexico can probably provide more details.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 07:50 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
The area near Bandelier National Monument as well as some of the Bandelier backcountry was damaged by the very large fire. The main monument itself was, however, saved from destruction, as was nearly all of the Valles Caldera National Preserve.

Lynn
Old 08-07-2011, 08:30 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Oh, also don't forget the Catwalk National Recreation Area (The Catwalk:Southern New Mexico Travel and Tourism Information) and the Very Large Array (NRAO Very Large Array) in southern New Mexico.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 09:28 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2016 28' Pendleton
Currently Looking...
Scottsdale , Arizona
Hi from GA. . . We found the VLA very interesting & then visited Bosque del Apache NWR just below Socorro (great birds & critters). And if you're that close, have a green chile cheesburger at the Buckhorn Tavern in San Antonio, NM.(2nd best in the state). Regards, Craig
Old 08-08-2011, 03:11 AM   #6
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
If you skip anything, skip the parts before New Mexico and after. New Mexico is by far my favorite place to go. To miss it would be a sin.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 07:24 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
If you skip anything, skip the parts before New Mexico and after. New Mexico is by far my favorite place to go. To miss it would be a sin.
Yah, I agree.
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 09:47 AM   #8
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
We were in NM about 10 days ago. It is still there and we saw no fire, smoke or burned trees.

The 2 major fires in the north central part of the state—one near Los Alamos (the biggest by far) and the other near the Santa Fe ski area both appeared to be out. Both were for the most part in remote areas.

We drove on US 285 from Colorado to Santa Fe, US 84 from near Espanola to Colorado and I-25 from Santa Fe to Albuquerque. It rained most days we were in NM and that helps a bit with the dry conditions.

I believe there were some fires in the SW part of the state, but we weren't there.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 10:14 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1988 25' Excella
corrales , New Mexico
NM Travel

Heron

Hello. I live and camp all over NM and we just got back from Heron Lake. It is open, the first two campgrounds have water and electric hookups. At Blanco, you can reserve in advance if you want to be sure to have a spot, but there were many open to first come first served.

If you are going into Colorado through Chama, it is really convenient.

It is my understanding that some of the campgrounds have reopened after the fires. Jemez Falls is very nice and reopened. It is not too far from Bandaleir.

NM is starting to get rain, not very much, but a shower in the afternoon is very refreshing after the heat of the day.

Let me know if you have any questions about a particular area of the state of NM and I will try to give you an answer.

Happy travels.
Airstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 10:46 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1961 16' Bambi
Las Cruces , New Mexico
land of enchantment

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
agreed! New Mexico is awesome. many, many things to appreciate. amazing cable car ride in abq, walk the taos gorge bridge and look down.... bandeleir is not to be missed, stop by giggling springs and chill, have a laid back day in madrid, go to the pueblo breakfast and lunch at loyola's (abq rt66)
goes on and on

it is to be our next home as soon as we can make it happen.

don&karen
alclad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 12:19 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
1959 22' Flying Cloud
fairview , New Mexico
The northern part of NM has not had the fires. Or at least north of Espanola. I've been going to Heron all through the Conchas and Pacheco fires and had a little bit of smoke but still enjoyed myself. Two weeks ago I went to Redriver to the Elephant Rock Campground and it was great! NM is still the Land of Enchantment!!!

Avion C11
1959 Flying Cloud
1969 Tradewind
1973 Safari
1983 34 ft Limited
2004 F250 superduty ext cab
2014 F350 longbed superduty crewcab
arodriguez60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 12:47 PM   #12
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
One neat spot in W.NM is El Morro Nat. Monument south of Grants. Inscription Rock has carved names and stories from Indian petroglyphs, to the early Spanish settlers in the 1500's, to travelers in the 1800's. Nice little camp ground or there is a small RV park next to it.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 01:25 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblinManGa View Post
Hi from GA. . . We found the VLA very interesting & then visited Bosque del Apache NWR just below Socorro (great birds & critters). And if you're that close, have a green chile cheesburger at the Buckhorn Tavern in San Antonio, NM.(2nd best in the state). Regards, Craig

Yes, they are good, but the VERY best green chili cheeseburger is at The Bobcat Bite in Santa Fe. It is on the Old Trail just outside of Santa Fe proper and is only open from 11am-7:50pm, yes that's right. And if you try and get there during normal eating hours, expect a LONG wait. A few years ago this hamburger was rated the #1 burger in the entire USA. I have to admit, it's one of THE best burgers I have eaten.

Travel from Soccoro,NM to Globe,AZ is an interesting and pretty drive.

Pap
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 01:43 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
A good green chili cheeseburger in Santa Fe? Maybe so. Ultimately, though, there are a bunch of places that have been nominated in the contest:

Nominated locations, Green Chili Cheeseburgers in New Mexico

Lynn
Old 08-08-2011, 03:12 PM   #15
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I had the BEST burger of my life last week. It was by far the most unusual one I have ever had also. I ate it here in Taos.
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040015.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	347.7 KB
ID:	137094
Mary Janes is on the left side of the road heading North toward the Plaza on the main drag.

Name:	P1040013.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	266.6 KB
ID:	137095
It is "Mexican Burger" on the menu. That is an ordinary factory burger fried till it is very crispy. Then it wrapped in flour tortillas. The entire thing is smothered in green or red chile sauce(green is my favorite) then cheese, tomato, onion, lettuce, and more chili. I was blown away by how intense an eating experience it was. This burger was a 18 on a scale of 1 to 10.

The place in Espanola on the left, heading North just before you turn toward Ojo Caliente is awesome also...

Name:	IMG_4991.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	248.1 KB
ID:	137096
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 04:36 PM   #16

2010 27' FB International
Frisco , Texas
Mr and Mrs S,
We're heading on a very similar trip (but from Dallas) in about a month, and haven't decided on a route yet, but would like to end up in northern NM instead of southern. It would be great if you could post what you find!
Safe Travels!
TiffaniW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 05:29 PM   #17
Liberator

1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
New Mexico

Start at post #21
We did top to bottom on the west side... lots of photos
Get to the Cliff Dwellers early, or plan to camp there, and hike in the morning.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...ico-37011.html
1972 Argosy 24'...
1954 Feathercraft Vagabond
klattu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 07:30 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
Yes, there are alot of NM green chili burger places in NM, no doubt, but only one Bobcat Bite-

Best Burger Santa Fe green chile cheeseburger

The rest are just blase', maybe good but not the best,......IMHO. My wife was born and raised in Santa Fe and I have been to almost all of the "supposed" best green chili burger places and the 2 San Antonio places are pretty good, but nothing touches the Bobcat Bite.
Best Burger Santa Fe green chile cheeseburger

Pap

Pap
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 07:39 PM   #19
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I believe Bobcat Bite is on the Old Las Vegas Trail. This road parallels I-25 south east of Santa Fe. It always looks busy, though we've never stopped there.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 08:19 PM   #20
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas
Wow thanks everyone for all the sites in New Mexico. I had no idea that New Mexico had so much to offer. I been googling all these recommendations and we are amazed.
Our plan is to end up in Durango, CO and ride the Silverton Railroad Train.(We were told its really nice in September)
We have 3 weeks open to traveling and we plan to spend at least 5 days in Durango, so that leaves lots of travel time to explore and see the sites.
We still have some mores studying to do before we decide which way we want to go and what we want to stop and see.
Thanks everyone for the post and suggestions I really appreciate it.
Mr & Mrs S is offline   Reply With Quote