Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-03-2014, 09:14 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Westlake , OH(summer)NC(winter)
West Yellowstone to Jackson Hole

Greetings………has anyone driven W. Yellowstone to Jackson Hole using US 191 which routes you through Yellowstone NP and Grand Teton NP. Will be towing a 28' AStream. Looks to be a scenic route but are there any obstacles to be aware of. I imagine that traffic will be an issue in July??
OHNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 09:31 AM   #2
Home of Vortex tuning

2013 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Spearfish , South Dakota
This sounds like the road I took in '07 but in reverse. Jackson thru Tetons, around the west side of Yellowstone and out of the park along the Madison river into the town of West Yellowstone. Easy, with a 40' 5er. Speed limits in a Nat park in usually 45 mph. Drivers stop in the road to take pix all the time, (buffalo jams) was my pet peeve.
Have fun, , ,
Old 04-03-2014, 09:33 AM   #3
Antiquepedaler

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Laramie , Wyoming
No obstacles due to the roads that I'm aware of. But figure all day to make the drive. Besides traffic there will be numerous animals in the roads causing bear jams, bison jams, etc. etc. The rangers will stop all traffic to give animals the right of way. If you're not in a hurry, you'll love it.
Old 04-03-2014, 10:48 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
If I were you having lived in that area for a good while, I'd go from West Yellowstone south to Island Park, Idaho, then take the scenic road via Mesa Falls to Ashton, Idaho, then take the back road Hwy 32 - 33 to Victor, Idaho, then Hwy 22 to Wilson, WY and on to Jackson. The road from Yellowstone to Jackson Hole is just ok IMHO and you go through a lot of plain forest with not much of a view. Also, if you are a hiker or fisherman, when you get to Ashton, take the road to the Bechler Ranger Station in the SW corner of Yellowstone NP and see a part of the Park most never see.
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 10:57 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
My wife and I have spent a lot of time in West Yellowstone and the Park and recommend seeing that park highway on day trips without your Airstream (leave it at a camping spot in West Y. and/or Jackson). That way you can easily pull off and see some of the sights without trying to find parking for your rig.

A very nice route for getting from West Yellowstone to Jackson is along the western side of the Grand Teton range. To do so, you take Highway 20 south out of West Y. and, at the south end of Island Park, go left on the Mesa Falls Scenic Byway to Ashton, then south out of Ashton on Highway 32 to Highway 33 and continue south on 33. Eventually you will get to Jackson! Beautiful landscape and much less traffic than in the two parks.

Tim

Pappy19 beat me to it!
Tim A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 12:17 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
I work in YNP and I suggest you mosey through the park. Yeah, there are critter jams but you will also pass the Old Faithful area with geysers galore, a new visitor center, plenty of parking, fuel, food... You will cross West thumb junction about 100 yards from one of the best kept secrets of the park -- the West Thumb Geyser Basin which is beautiful and set on the shores of Yellowstone Lake. Parking is usually not a problem.

Then there is the "little park", Grand Teton. You will pass along the east side of Jackson Lake which is beautiful on its own but is also framed by the Teton Range. A critter jam or two still possible but you will pass some beautiful campgrounds and nifty visitor centers.

Everyone worries about the 45 mile an hour speed limit but the point of the journey is to enjoy the trip itself -- with all the stops you will be tempted to make (and there is room almost everywhere for you to park your rig) you won't care about the top speed.

See you there!

Mike
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote