Old 07-11-2012, 06:39 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
We're in West Yellowstone

We're in a campground (Rustic Wagon) right outside of the park gate. There are two other streamers here but they are gone so I haven't met them yet. We left Gig Harbor on Monday morning and got to Post Falls ID on the first night and then took off and got to Deer Lodge MT on night two and then came into West Yellostone this morning. The drive was good and the trailer handled well. On a few of the passes I maxed out at 55mph but other than that I think I have a good match. The towing was smooth and comfortable. Mileage has been 11.6 mpg.

When we were traveling through eastern Washington and Idaho the temperatures were brutal, in the high 90's. Here at Yellowstone it is comfortable at 70. In Montana about 50 miles east of Missoula there were signs out warning about wildfires jumping the roadway but we didn't see any.

Going over the passes I was watching my tranny temp and it maxed out at 235. Not bad, in 90 degree weather. The engine temp also rose a bit but nothing to worry about.

We're seeing some beautiful country and I plan to use this thread to post more messages and some pics.

Mefly, I'm going to try to make the rally. My Dad is with us and he dosen't have a passport so I'm thinking of dropping him off in a campground with cabins for the day.....

If anyone is here or close by PM me and maybe we can meet up. We'll be here for four nights.

I'm gonna start to drink right now.

Dan

Old 07-11-2012, 07:14 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2000 25' Excella
Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by danlehosky View Post
I'm gonna start to drink right now.

Dan
Hard to escape the heat the past couple of days in the west. Sounds like you've found a respite.

Cheers!

Old 07-11-2012, 09:25 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Sounds like the beginning of a great trip, Dan. We have some friends from the east coast who were in Yellowstone last week. They were glad they escaped the 100+ temperatures we were having back here. Looking forward to the pictures.
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 10:14 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2013 22' FB Sport
College Place , Washington
Lucky dogs Nice campground on a lake near west yellowstone.
Old 07-11-2012, 10:16 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1977 31' Excella 500
West Sacramento , California
I was there a month ago and we had snow flurries. Rustic Wagon is a nice place. Small, friendly proprietor. Enjoy the beauty of the area.
Old 07-12-2012, 11:43 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
We had a ball today. Found a hot spring on the Madison river and spent some time there and the went to the paint bowl?? area and finally Old Faithful. There are four other Airstreams in camp with us, a 06 25 Safari that has no belt trim only rivets showing. Is this how they were Finished? Another 2011 25 Flying Cloud and a 2001 30 ft Excella. Met everybody and looked at each others trailers etc. Very nice to meet some people in person. Nobody else was on the Forums and only one of the couples belonged to the WBCCI.

Tomorrow is for me. I'm going to be dropped off on the lower Madison and fish. I talked to a few guys today and they were catching some nice brown trout. I've never done much river fishing so we'll see how I do.

When we spent the night in Post Falls we were next to an old 70's 26ft Argosy. When he hitched up to leave in the morning he just dropped onto the ball and away he went. No hitch set up at all. Go figure all the talking we do about hitches.

The weather has been warm but not unbearable, last night it went down to about 40 degrees but I have to remember how high we are.

This is a lot different than the PNW that I am used to. Much dryer and the weather is contenental and not dominated by the ocean.

Anyway I'm gonna hit the sack and have some more fun tomorrow.

Dan
Old 07-12-2012, 11:47 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1976 27' Overlander
Missoula , Montana
"Paint pots...." Ask someone about a "drop" nymph on your fly -- and the Cascades loop on the Firehole, towards the lower end is a great place to fish - towards the lower end of the drive. You can wade in shorts and sandals - the water is warm = "Firehole"- eh?
Old 07-12-2012, 11:51 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
Paint Pots......, thanks, they were pretty impressive. Thats a fragile place up there.

Dan
Old 07-13-2012, 12:10 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Dan

My wife and I flew out to Yellowstone about 5 years ago and spent one week in the park staying in cabins. We enjoyed it , but all I could think about was returning and camping there. Looks like we will need to stay at the Rustic Wagon.

I am looking forward to your photos.

Dan
Old 07-13-2012, 12:19 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1977 31' Excella 500
West Sacramento , California
Beautiful area. I caught that portion of the park on a clear day last month in between storms. Here's a link to one of the several videos I shot from our trip there and Grand Teton.

2012 Vacation Day 10 #1.- Yellowstone National Park - South Loop - YouTube
Old 07-13-2012, 06:28 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
Well Guys, the skies have been beautiful. I couldn't sleep well last night and got up at 4AM and saw an awesome sunrise over the Madison River valley. I then tried my hand at fly fishing and after much practice can cast without looking to bad. I can put it within 4ft of where I want it. I drove up towards Old Faithful and took a service road into the back country and got into the water at a hot spring. I could move around a few feet and the water temp changed to almost uncomfortably hot to chilling cold. Nothing like the Puget Sound though.

Tomorrow we're gonna take the north loop and see whats interesting up there. We might use this route when we leave to head to Glacier. Anyway guys I'm having a ball the Trailer is comfortable and a nice respite.

It's about time for me to crack open a cold one.

Adios,
Dan
Old 07-13-2012, 06:30 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
PS the 30ft Excella left today and a newer Bambi pulled in. I'm gonna go down and meet them. There are still four Airstreams in the park.

Dan
Old 07-13-2012, 06:44 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1976 27' Overlander
Missoula , Montana
Dan, if you want to try fishing again, and you go by Indian Creek campground between Norris and Mammoth, that used to be a great little near-the-road fishing spot - you'd have to check with a campground ranger or CG host - someone who would know. Also, the Gardner River there and then near Mammoth, but again you'd want to know just where to park and drop a fly off the road. Ditto for Slough Creek and the Lamar valley (which is also the best place to see wolves). Good luck and have fun! Oh, and since you're cracking a cold one now and then, if you like dark beer, try "Cold Smoke" or "Moose Drool" - both are great Montana beers!
Old 07-13-2012, 07:51 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Aledo , Texas
x2 on the Moose Drool ... just watch out because with all that fresh air, the altitude, and the Moose, you might be the one drooling. At least that was the effect on me.