Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 09-26-2013, 04:01 PM   #501
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly at Night View Post
Thanks, all.

Gene, when transversing the narrow mountain corridors of B.C., (or anywhere else for that matter) the railroads, highways, motels, and RV parks will invariably be squeezed into the same corridor.

Glad the trains didn't disrupt your sleep either.
Same narrow corridors in the US southwest as BC's south.

Can't wait for the beer summit.

Gene

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Old 09-26-2013, 04:02 PM   #502
2 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 26
St David , Arizona
I am sorry everybody. I took so much of fence to that post (misguidedly).

Looking forward to more adventures from this thread!
Old 09-26-2013, 04:03 PM   #503
Rivet Master

1990 25' Excella
Sisters , Oregon
Quote:
Hoobie and Bird, welcome to the Breakfast Show. Hope you like Froot Loops.....(with your beer)!
Ah, Froot Loops...

When my sons were boys the three of us would go on annual ski trips. We had a great time - shreddin' all day long, minimal personal hygiene, junk food. They still like to reminisce about the outings. Their fondest memory? Skiing 25,000 vertical a day? Knee deep powder? Blowing by their Dad? Yeah, those were OK. But what they mostly fondly remember were - yep - Froot Loops. One of natures finest not available at home.

Poppy
Old 09-26-2013, 04:06 PM   #504
2 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 26
St David , Arizona
As for the "hot" comment, I'll leave that to you!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2878351853.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	407.0 KB
ID:	196411  
Old 09-26-2013, 04:07 PM   #505
2 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 26
St David , Arizona
Oops, I'm on the right! LOL!!!
Old 09-26-2013, 07:30 PM   #506
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirigible25 View Post
Now if I were only a pilot and a paramedic.....
Old 09-27-2013, 09:15 PM   #507
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
The Road to Banff National Park

After waving good-bye to my train counter (with the dark circles under his eyes) I wondered if he would show his affection for the railroads by dropping in at Craigellachie’s Last Spike?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Last_Sp...acific_Railway

With no sewer conection to unplug and flush, it didn’t take long to get the FaN road ready again. The hose and electrical cord are quickly unplugged, stowed, and I’m on my way. I had been warned that the road from Revelstoke to Golden is notorious for construction delays. For the past 20 years they have been widening the Trans Canada. It is a laborious project because much of the highway is still a single-lane divided highway. I usually drive 5 – 10 miles under the speed limit when trailering, so had to pull over and let the traffic pass when I saw them backing up behind me. Many of the truckers honked or flashed their lights in appreciation. However, I soon caught up to them all just before the summit of Rogers Pass. We are stopped there for road construction for half-an-hour. I grabbed the camera and took this photo of a mountain in the Silkirk chain. The mountains are starting to look awfully big – we must be getting close to the Rockies.

When I reached the small town of Golden, I had to go to the bathroom and was also getting a bit hungry. The days of searching for a clean washroom are over – it’s always behind me! Golden is a good rest-stop for RVers. A service road runs parallel to the Trans Canada with lots of shoulder room for parking, gas stations with roomy access, along with a few venerable fast-food chains. No need for the latter – the FaN’s pantry and fridge are bursting. I grab a couple of slices of my low-carb cheese ‘n onion waffle bread, a can of tuna, and make a sandwich. The weather is gorgeous – warm and sunny – so I happily plunk myself down on the FaN’s steps and eat my lunch.

Road Food.....

A quick check of the rig – tires feel okay – and I’m back on the road. It’s a good thing my blood sugar has been reinforced because I’m soon navigating some pretty deep curves just outside of Golden. There is no shoulder and no passing lane. Not the best place to drive a trailer – never mind get behind one. Sorry, but I’m not risking my neck (or trailer) and hope the drivers behind me will understand my slower speed.

Remember The Partridge Family’s schoolbus with “Caution – Nervous Mother at the Wheel” stuck on the back? I need “Caution – Relatively New Nervous Trailer Driver at the Wheel.” I was also thinking that a sign stuck on the back window of the trailer indicating the total length of trailer and tow vehicle might be a good idea, as a few passers underestimated my length on those single-lane stretches, and I had to slow down or hit the shoulder so they wouldn’t head-on with the oncoming vehicle.

The upswing is that the next bend might bring a passing lane, and it soon did. Whoosh! Whoosh! Whoosh! The vehicles speed by. ‘ell bent for election, as my dad would say.

The driving angst is soon relieved – I’m into Banff National Park. Alberta! The highway becomes a dream. Four straight, well paved lanes with a broad median. Banff attracts millions of visitors – many of them Japanese and German with deep pockets. No wonder the Feds like to lavish the highway improvements here. It’s a favourite child; the one that helps pay the rent. I can amble a bit. I suddenly realize everyone is ambling, with good reason. The highway through Banff is heavily patrolled by the RCMP. I have never seen so many police cars on a single stretch of road in all my blinkin life, so beware.

The slower pace gives me a chance to look up. Way, way up at the Rocky Mountains. Magnificent! I also notice something you won’t see on any city freeway – overpasses built especially for the wildlife.

It is a pleasant drive. Post-card pretty and a bit cliche. I start craving maple syrup and Mounties (nice ones, who do not give out traffic tickets)!

Next: The Town of Banff, High Heels, Some Like it Hot.....and Marilyn
Old 09-27-2013, 09:53 PM   #508
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderingjee View Post
Wow, birdmaestro. I posted one thing and I am a lurker? Really nice welcome to the forums for me. I truly appreciate nice people like you who always have something nice to say.

I was told over and over that I has joined an elite club when I bought my argosy. I read and read this forum and learned what upgrades to do. Then I added solar. I sold my jeep and purchased a truck to tow my trailer.

I see you have only been here since July.

You have no honor.

Thank you again.
Whoa! I'm pretty sure birdmaestro was not commenting on your post! He was just saying he was going to lurk and follow this thread! Lots of us lurk on fly by nights thread. She's very quick witted and you have to be fast on your feet if you want to join the fun!

Edited. Ooops I guess I should have made sure I was on the last page, my bad ... Carry on lol.....
Old 09-27-2013, 09:58 PM   #509
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by reinergirl View Post
Whoa! I'm pretty sure birdmaestro was not commenting on your post! He was just saying he was going to lurk and follow this thread! Lots of us lurk on fly by nights thread. She's very quick witted and you have to be fast on your feet if you want to join the fun!

Edited. Ooops I guess I should have made sure I was on the last page, my bad ... Carry on lol.....
Understood. One can easily become confused in this rambling tome. I tend to do that to people.
Old 09-28-2013, 01:25 AM   #510
2 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 26
St David , Arizona
So, can I bring a gun into Canada? Shotgun maybe? Just always wanted to know. I usually have a shotgun in the trailer with me. Your stories of Banff are making me want to head north!
Old 09-28-2013, 11:53 AM   #511
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Wandering',

No handguns in Canada, "long guns" for hunting are ok after filling out forms and probably paying for a permit. Shotguns, I don't know. Check Canada customs' website for more info. Canada is strict on guns and you'd better follow the rules even if you don't like them.

For what's it is worth, using a shotgun in a campground will result in hitting things like RV's, people and trucks (using any gun in a campground can have the same result, shotguns are worse). This will lead to lots of problems for you and a long stay in Canada in accommodations you will not enjoy.

Gene

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Old 09-28-2013, 03:50 PM   #512
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Wandering, Gene is right. Canada Customs has no sense of humour when it comes to firearms. (They like Airstream trailers, though!)

Will get my next trip installment up shortly. Hope you liked "The Road to Banff."

Am a bit distracted at the moment. One of my food photos was featured in a major publication. It was taken in the FaN's kitchen, but they did not mention the Airstream, unfortunately.
Old 09-28-2013, 04:17 PM   #513
JDS
2014 Bowlus Road Chief

Cumming , Iowa
Quote:
Wandering, Gene is right. Canada Customs has no sense of humour when it comes to firearms. (They like Airstream trailers, though!)

Will get my next trip installment up shortly. Hope you liked "The Road to Banff."

Am a bit distracted at the moment. One of my food photos was featured in a major publication. It was taken in the FaN's kitchen, but they did not mention the Airstream, unfortunately.
OK FaN,

That's quite the tease! A link, or the photo in question?

John S.
Old 09-28-2013, 08:20 PM   #514
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
JD, I'm bashful?? Will send you some info. via PM.
Old 09-28-2013, 08:23 PM   #515
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
And dry shirt pics ...?
Old 09-28-2013, 08:26 PM   #516
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwf View Post
And dry shirt pics ...?
Oh jeeeze. I forgot. Sorry! Will post.....trying to remember the thread.
Old 09-28-2013, 08:45 PM   #517
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Oh jeeeze. I forgot. Sorry! Will post.....trying to remember the thread.
Something about Airstream freaks.
Old 09-28-2013, 09:17 PM   #518
2 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 26
St David , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
Wandering', No handguns in Canada, "long guns" for hunting are ok after filling out forms and probably paying for a permit. Shotguns, I don't know. Check Canada customs' website for more info. Canada is strict on guns and you'd better follow the rules even if you don't like them. For what's it is worth, using a shotgun in a campground will result in hitting things like RV's, people and trucks (using any gun in a campground can have the same result, shotguns are worse). This will lead to lots of problems for you and a long stay in Canada in accommodations you will not enjoy. Gene
I was in the service for 12 years. Chances of Me shooting a shotgun in an RV park is very, very slim.
Old 09-28-2013, 11:24 PM   #519
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderingjee View Post
I was in the service for 12 years. Chances of Me shooting a shotgun in an RV park is very, very slim.
errrrr.......and grrrrrrrrrr.........you never know!

Old 09-29-2013, 10:02 AM   #520
2 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 26
St David , Arizona
If I were to fire a gun not on a shooting range, I would most likely being thanked for doing so.
Closed Thread