Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 05:32 AM   #321
JDS
2014 Bowlus Road Chief

Cumming , Iowa
Hi FaN,

Are you also a fan of Edward Hopper? He's one of my favorites.

Best wishes,

John S.
Old 07-18-2013, 12:33 PM   #322
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Flower View Post
Thank you for that. We lost one of the very best yesterday. Jim
You're very welcome, Jim.

I was annoyed when one of the television journalists said Colville was "Canada's Norman Rockwell."

Rockwell was also a beloved and admired painter, but there is little creative comparison, IMO.

Colville was complicated and exhaustive. Rockwell "entertained." He has always struck me as more of an illustrator than artist.
Old 07-18-2013, 12:45 PM   #323
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDS View Post
Hi FaN,

Are you also a fan of Edward Hopper? He's one of my favorites.

Best wishes,

John S.
Hi John,

I like some of Hopper's work, especially Nighthawks, which has been parodied into pop culture via the Boulevard of Broken Dreams.

Hopper would have been another candidate for the Airstream lifestyle when he observed, "To me the most important thing is the sense of going on. You know how beautiful things are when you're traveling.”
Old 07-18-2013, 01:03 PM   #324
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly at Night View Post
I was annoyed when one of the television journalists said Colville was "Canada's Norman Rockwell."
I'm not familiar enough with Colville's work to draw a comparison between the two artists. I suspect the same is secretly true of the journalists involved.

When I looked up some of Colville's work earlier today— AFTER reading the comparison between Colville and Rockwell— the immediate impression I got was, "This is what Rockwell would have painted if he had PTSD." Definitely edgier, vaguely disturbing in some unidentifiable way that might have to do with the fact that so many of his subjects are facing away from the viewer or have their faces obscured.
Old 07-18-2013, 05:43 PM   #325
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Pro, good point about television journalism; it has been dumbed-down to the point of laughability. Any subject is at risk, especially those involving the arts, science, or gawd forbid, aviation.

I am familiar with Rockwell's work, but not his life, so did some quick research. Rockwell did not serve in the military. He applied, but was turned down because he was too skinny, circa WW1.

Had he served, would there be a sublimation into the American Colville? It's hard to say. I do not think we can attach a common denominator to those who have gone through similar experiences, traumatic or not. Maybe Rockwell would have painted the same things he became famous for as a diversion. Or, maybe he would have tackled Colville's anguished style but couldn't; it was simply a question of artistic skill, conveyance, and believability.
Old 07-18-2013, 06:59 PM   #326
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
I kinda took a liken' to that colour Fly, so I made the move and took delivery of my new one today. My granddaughter really likes this one.

Mid entry, tag axle, loaded.

Dave

Quote:
"If I ever want to downsize...."

Indeed. You'd have to shrink yourself considerably. But Barbie still looks pretty hot. Go for it -- or as the Aussies would say, "Let's put another shrimp on the Barbie."

As to the Pepto-Bismol motorhome, I'd park it close to the campfire. How do you say "It's melting" in espanol?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	071820135570.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	225.3 KB
ID:	191135   Click image for larger version

Name:	071820135571.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	243.0 KB
ID:	191136  

"LOVE and LOSS, are two of the greatest emotions one can experience. -- I went to school to learn about "WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN" but I had to live my life to learn the lesson of: 'WITH LOVE THERE WILL BE SORROW'."
David Stewart. (after loosing my NAVIGATOR)
Old 07-19-2013, 11:55 AM   #327
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
"Pink - Changing Lives"

massey, I did not know you had become a Mary Kay lady. You must have sold a lot of product to win that bus!

BTW, I need some new blush. Can you recommend something?

Old 07-19-2013, 12:20 PM   #328
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
: blush:
How much do you need?

Dave

Quote:
BTW, I need some new blush. Can you recommend something?

"LOVE and LOSS, are two of the greatest emotions one can experience. -- I went to school to learn about "WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN" but I had to live my life to learn the lesson of: 'WITH LOVE THERE WILL BE SORROW'."
Old 07-19-2013, 10:12 PM   #329
4 Rivet Member

1997 25' Safari
Yakima , Washington
That is a lot of blush Massey, does she want more

1997 25' Safari
2012 Chevy Silverado HD 2500
Duramax/Allison
Old 07-19-2013, 10:45 PM   #330
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Nah. I think I'll just pinch my cheeks.
Old 07-20-2013, 12:30 PM   #331
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Rockwell portrayed a myth—a lilly white America where everyone was middle class and had tow headed boys and cute little girls for children. There were some families like that, but not all that many. The damage was to sell the myth as real.

I agree he was an illustrator and I never saw it as "art", but defining "art" is somewhat difficult.

The promotion of the myth was the real problem.

Gene

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Old 07-20-2013, 05:20 PM   #332
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Hi Gene, I would agree with most of what you said. However, in fairness to Rockwell, some of his illustrations were a deflection from the "fluff":

The Golden Rule by Norman Rockwell

File:The-problem-we-all-live-with-norman-rockwell.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Airstream produced a Rockwell edition. I wonder if they sold well?
Old 07-20-2013, 05:50 PM   #333
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
True, he sometimes deviated from the monolithic culture that never existed, and that was after a lot of criticism. The overwhelming bulk of his work is bland mythology. "The problem we all live with" could be interpreted both ways.

Gene

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Old 07-24-2013, 10:14 PM   #334
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
On the Driveway # -- No! Make That "On the Runway...."

Just emailed this to the flying friend who is stuck in a Ramada Inn somewhere. He will enjoy it.

Thought I'd share here. Canada's Gimli Glider is part of our aviation history. Sure hope someone can come up with the funds to rescue this Boeing from the boneyard. It should be in a museum, like the "Miracle on the Hudson" Airbus.

It's an amazing story, even if you are not an aviation buff. My friend says no one could pull off this landing when confronted with the same situation in the flight simulator....

http://www.cbc.ca/player/News/TV+Sho...ID/2397825667/
Old 07-25-2013, 07:58 PM   #335
4 Rivet Member

1997 25' Safari
Yakima , Washington
Thanks for posting this link. I was totally unaware of this incident and it was a touching story to see how, after all these years, it still had an emotional effect on those who were interviewed.

1997 25' Safari
2012 Chevy Silverado HD 2500
Duramax/Allison
Old 07-25-2013, 08:28 PM   #336
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Wonder where those glider skills were in SFO a few weeks ago? Knowing how to hand fly the airplane rather than rely on a computer and situational awareness can save the day.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
Old 07-25-2013, 09:21 PM   #337
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
You want pilot skills, you just have to look at the guys and gals that are making numerous takeoffs/landings a day. Like anything else, you need to practice your skills to stay at the top of your trade.

Watch this segment that is posted on this thread where the pilot can't use the normal approach because of the extreme high wind across the runway that is almost buried in mud and icemelt.

Now this pilot has situation awareness down pat.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f206...tml#post935799

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
Wonder where those glider skills were in SFO a few weeks ago? Knowing how to hand fly the airplane rather than rely on a computer and situational awareness can save the day.
Old 07-25-2013, 10:50 PM   #338
4 Rivet Member

1976 27' Overlander
Missoula , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
The Gimli Glider is a great story and not as well known south of the border (ours, not the "southern" one) - and the difference between Asiana and Lufthansa can be seen in this clip - A380 landing at SFO. While the computer inputs and approach is great to see on the "super," note that the left-seater takes over and hand flies the final.
Pilot's View: Airbus A380 approach and landing at San Francisco. [VIDEO]
TAC
TCT
Old 07-26-2013, 06:11 AM   #339
JDS
2014 Bowlus Road Chief

Cumming , Iowa
Quote:
Just emailed this to the flying friend who is stuck in a Ramada Inn somewhere. He will enjoy it.

Thought I'd share here. Canada's Gimli Glider is part of our aviation history. Sure hope someone can come up with the funds to rescue this Boeing from the boneyard. It should be in a museum, like the "Miracle on the Hudson" Airbus.

It's an amazing story, even if you are not an aviation buff. My friend says no one could pull off this landing when confronted with the same situation in the flight simulator....

The Gimli Glider: 30 Years Later - The National - CBC Player
Hi FaN,

Watched the whole 20 minutes (give or take) and it was truly inspiring. What a thorough professional and a true credit to the airline pilot industry.

John S.
Old 07-26-2013, 07:49 AM   #340
Retired USAF (kinda)

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Meridian , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by masseyfarm View Post
You want pilot skills, you just have to look at the guys and gals that are making numerous takeoffs/landings a day. Like anything else, you need to practice your skills to stay at the top of your trade.

Watch this segment that is posted on this thread where the pilot can't use the normal approach because of the extreme high wind across the runway that is almost buried in mud and icemelt.

Now this pilot has situation awareness down pat.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f206...tml#post935799

Dave
True statement! Most of us "click" off the automation and hand fly, unless the weather dictates otherwise. Hand flying is more fun anyway.
Closed Thread