Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 08:52 AM   #121
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly at Night View Post
I am dead serious - no pun intended. I have thought of a caravan, but my work being what it is, I have to grab a departure date when I can. Caravans are usually planned well in advance.

I can understand why some may think this request is off-the-wall, but in my mind, it is a rational and plausible solution.
As one who thought your idea of a hired gun was a joke, with your kind permission I'll continue to consider it a joke. I'd rather think that than to think that visitors to our fair country might have reason to fear for their lives while traveling on our highways.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:00 AM   #122
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
As one who thought your idea of a hired gun was a joke, with your kind permission I'll continue to consider it a joke. I'd rather think that than to think that visitors to our fair country might have reason to fear for their lives while traveling on our highways.
Protagonist, this was not written to incite paranoia, another gun debate, or slander the United States of America. I have great respect for your country.

In my last reply, I have added the reason: some ominious premonitions about travel - regardless of destination or means.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:28 AM   #123

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Protagonist, this was not written to incite paranoia, another gun debate, or slander the United States of America. I have great respect for your country.

In my last reply, I have added the reason: some ominious premonitions about travel - regardless of destination or means.
As I said, at first I did think it was a joke, given the tone of some of your previous posts on this thread. I did not see your post as slanderous to the USA. I also didn't see it as a prelude to a gun debate, and I don't think you're trying to make anyone paranoid. I might harbor suspicions that you're being paranoid…

But even as insensitive and self-centered as I am, I can't help but be dismayed over the idea that someone feels the need to hire a bodyguard in order to travel. I hope that when it's all over, you can laugh about worrying over nothing, because I'd rather see that than your premonitions becoming prophetic.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:44 AM   #124
JDS
2014 Bowlus Road Chief

Cumming , Iowa
Quote:
Sorry? What do you mean by fishing?

I am dead serious - no pun intended. I have thought of a caravan, but my work being what it is, I have to grab a departure date when I can. Caravans are usually planned well in advance.

As far as friends and relatives go, they are likewise occupied, or I just do not want to travel with them.

I can understand why some may think this request is off-the-wall, but in my mind it is a rational and plausible solution, spurned by some ominious premonitions.

The request I sent to a security firm in Seattle was a month ago. They have not replied. Did they think I was bluffing? Regardless, they could have had the decency to reply.
Hi FaN,

Count me among those who thought you were kidding - I thought you had tossed out a line & bait and were reeling in those who took you at face value. I am someone who never locks their house and generally don't feel threatened, certainly not camping.

John S.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:28 AM   #125
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
I have the answer for you FLY but you would not listen to an old guy like me. Buy a motorhome and then you can just fire it up and drive off without getting out of the unit.

Seriously, if you travel and stop at travel stops, tourist stops, campgrounds, and even WM, I doubt you will ever have any concern. Book your campgrounds ahead and don't push the schedule so that you can't keep your reservations.

The PNW is one of the friendliest areas of the the big USA. It gets a little busier and more impersonal as you get further south, but I don't think you have anything more to worry about than you would in Abbotsford.

There is always a large amount of RV traffic heading south in the fall, and you will meet and see the same people at different stops on the way. Get a CB and enjoy the truckers chatter and you will feel like you are part of the "highway family".

You never got this far in life by not doing 'stuff'. Go for it.

Dave
"LOVE and LOSS, are two of the greatest emotions one can experience. -- I went to school to learn about "WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN" but I had to live my life to learn the lesson of: 'WITH LOVE THERE WILL BE SORROW'."
David Stewart. (after loosing my NAVIGATOR)
Old 03-27-2013, 10:41 AM   #126
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Oakley , California
Don't you know...anyone can buy a gun here, even Canucks. Detour to Idaho, say around Standpoint sign up for a Militia and they'll issue you some type of automatic weapon on the spot! If you are the loner type, and don't want to join anything make your way over to Detroit where you can buy a gun on any street corner. No private security needed and problem solved!
Old 03-27-2013, 10:47 AM   #127

2012 Interstate Coach
For personal defense inside your Airstream, nothing beats wasp spray. It won't punch hard-to-explain holes in your aluminum, it shoots farther than pepper spray— all the way from one end of your trailer to the other— and anybody hit in the face with it will win a trip to the nearest hospital emergency room.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:51 AM   #128
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
massey, a motorhome has a lot going for it in that respect; one can do anything (I like the idea of a quick getaway) without exiting the unit.

JDS and Protagonist, do you know what started these premonitions? As you know, Airstreams attract a lot of attention wherever they go. So, people would come up to me at rest stops, RV parks, etc. and when they find out I am 'streaming alone, their mouth drops open and they say things like "You're doing this alone? I wouldn't want to do this alone!" Or, "You are so brave to travel all by yourself!" and so on and so forth. Then they climb back into the safe, warm bosom of their rig and travelling companion(s) and drive off, leaving me standing there with my mouth hanging open as I am wondering if there really is something to worry about. Do I really look like a sitting duck??

I never used to think that way, but it does not take much to ignite the kindling of paranoia.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:57 AM   #129
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrunes View Post
Don't you know...anyone can buy a gun here, even Canucks. Detour to Idaho, say around Standpoint sign up for a Militia and they'll issue you some type of automatic weapon on the spot! If you are the loner type, and don't want to join anything make your way over to Detroit where you can buy a gun on any street corner. No private security needed and problem solved!
Phrunes, thanks for the info., but I can't bring it back into Canada. So, what do I do? Throw it over a bridge railing like I've just robbed a bank before hitting the border?
Old 03-27-2013, 11:03 AM   #130

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
So, people would come up to me at rest stops, RV parks, etc. and when they find out I am 'streaming alone, their mouth drops open and they say things like "You're doing this alone? I wouldn't want to do this alone!" Or, "You are so brave to travel all by yourself!" and so on and so forth. Then they climb back into the safe, warm bosom of their rig and travelling companion(s) and drive off, leaving me standing there with my mouth hanging open as I am wondering if there really is something to worry about. Do I look like a sitting duck?
I see. If you get told the same mistaken opinions over and over, it's hard to set them aside. Even though you've already traveled alone and know it's not anything worrisome, you keep meeting people who never have and never will, and so their fears became your fears.

Might I suggest, next time someone says, "You're so brave to travel alone…" you reply, "Beats traveling with scaredy-cats…" And since you're probably kinder and more considerate than me, you can leave off the unspoken "…like you," on the end of that sentence that I'd go ahead and say.
Old 03-27-2013, 11:19 AM   #131
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
"....their fears became your fears."

Protagonist, very sage observation. Well said!

"....you reply, 'Beats traveling with scaredy-cats…'"
Reminds me of the adage, some use their guns, but others assassinate with their tongue.

I have been told that my mouth/tongue is very quick. So, in this context it could become an automatic weapon. raaaaaat-taaaaaaat-taaaaaaaaat.

Now that I am armed with this insight, I truly feel better now.

This site is a platoon of advice and help. Thank-you! Thank-you! Thank-you!
Old 03-27-2013, 11:22 AM   #132
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
....but I will carry wasp/pepper spray too.
Old 03-27-2013, 11:29 AM   #133
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
massey, a motorhome has a lot going for it in that respect; one can do anything (I like the idea of a quick getaway) without exiting the unit.

Hi, this is provided that you don't have your shore line, sewer hose and fresh water hose connected at the time of escape. [or dammage will occur]

JDS and Protagonist, do you know what started these premonitions? As you know, Airstreams attract a lot of attention wherever they go. So, people would come up to me at rest stops, RV parks, etc. and when they find out I am 'streaming alone, their mouth drops open and they say things like "You're doing this alone? I wouldn't want to do this alone!" Or, "You are so brave to travel all by yourself!" and so on and so forth. Then they climb back into the safe, warm bosom of their rig and travelling companion(s) and drive off, leaving me standing there with my mouth hanging open as I am wondering if there really is something to worry about. Do I really look like a sitting duck??

Hi, brave because you don't have someone to help navigate, you don't have anyone to help with a flat tire, you don't have anyone to help back you into a space, and like me, you won't have someone checking to see if you are getting sleepy while driving and hand you a No-Dose.

I never used to think that way, but it does not take much to ignite the kindling of paranoia.
Hi, No hired gun necessary. And on the other hand; How do you think Americans feel when they have to leave their protection at home when they cross the Canadian border?
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 03-27-2013, 11:32 AM   #134
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Don't tell them your are traveling alone, if they ask tell them no your Husband, Significance other, Boyfriend, Dog, Goldfish or whatever is on an errand. Protagonist has good advice wasp spray is some nasty stuff, of course you will end up it with all over you also. On a boat they tell you to use a flare gun, they don't tell you how to put the fire out after you use it.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Old 03-27-2013, 11:36 AM   #135
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Oakley , California
While sleeping keep your truck keys with you...if you get a little edgy hit the alarm button.
Old 03-27-2013, 11:51 AM   #136

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Phrunes, thanks for the info., but I can't bring it back into Canada. So, what do I do? Throw it over a bridge railing like I've just robbed a bank before hitting the border?
I'm not advocating that you buy and carry while in the US (nor that you don't), but I'd point out that if it's easy to buy one, it's relatively easy to sell one as well. You'll likely sell it for less than you paid for it, but I'd bet that the difference would be less than a day or two of reliable paid armed bodyguard service.

If you are not an experience handgun user I wouldn't recommend it.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
Old 03-27-2013, 11:57 AM   #137
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Oakley , California
Plus, with all this anti gun sentiment of late I'm sure you will pass thru at least a hundred towns sponsoring a gun buyback program on your way back to the border.
Old 03-27-2013, 12:02 PM   #138
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, No hired gun necessary. And on the other hand; How do you think Americans feel when they have to leave their protection at home when they cross the Canadian border?
Robert, there is no need to be overtly worried when entering Canada. Just be aware of these risks:

- you may be bored to death by a politician. If you plan on visiting the spectators' gallery on Parliament Hill, please take some head protection so you won't crack your skull open on the marble floors after falling into a deep sleep

- before visiting Quebec, please learn some basic French; if you do not order your poutine in the native tongue, they may spit in it

- watch out for defecating Canada geese, particularly if they are airborne

- watch out for those stale/hard Timbits which are often hurled at said geese

- be especially aware of those hard hockey pucks which are often hurled by fans who feel their team was goosed in last-night's game. If those fans are Vancouverites, stay out of the downtown core, as it will be set on fire

- one other thing about Vancouver - bring your raincoat. It rains 360 days of the year. We do not tan, we rust. The upswing is the fact those riot-induced infernos are eventually extinguished by those natural liquid elements.

Aside from that, you should be quite safe.
Old 03-27-2013, 02:14 PM   #139
JDS
2014 Bowlus Road Chief

Cumming , Iowa
Quote:

I'm no stranger to paranoia, and as they say, even if you're paranoid it doesn't mean they aren't out to get ya. My read on the reaction you get at rest stops, RV parks, etc. is that those people are envious and are basically too lazy to do what you are doing. I truly doubt that they are meaning to convey that there is something dangerous in what you're doing. They're trying to convince themselves of the rightness of their inactivity.

John S.
Old 03-27-2013, 03:24 PM   #140
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Robert, there is no need to be overtly worried when entering Canada. Just be aware of these risks:

- you may be bored to death by a politician. If you plan on visiting the spectators' gallery on Parliament Hill, please take some head protection so you won't crack your skull open on the marble floors after falling into a deep sleep

- before visiting Quebec, please learn some basic French; if you do not order your poutine in the native tongue, they may spit in it

- watch out for defecating Canada geese, particularly if they are airborne

- watch out for those stale/hard Timbits which are often hurled at said geese

- be especially aware of those hard hockey pucks which are often hurled by fans who feel their team was goosed in last-night's game. If those fans are Vancouverites, stay out of the downtown core, as it will be set on fire

- one other thing about Vancouver - bring your raincoat. It rains 360 days of the year. We do not tan, we rust. The upswing is the fact those riot-induced infernos are eventually extinguished by those natural liquid elements.

Aside from that, you should be quite safe.
Hi, Fly at Night; I have been to Canada several times and have only experienced some rain, but not much at that. I have only been in the western provinces. Our only concern was bears in Alaska and Canada. Nothing else that you posted applied to us.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Closed Thread