Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 12:33 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by c_lewis77 View Post
Do you get peanuts in route?
Afraid not. I'm leaving the flight-attendant uniform at home.

BTW, does anyone know where the switch for the "auto" hot-water tank is? It's running on propane - was like that since I picked it up from the dealership. For the life of me, I cannot find the switch to change to auto or "electric" hot-water heat.
Old 10-07-2011, 09:19 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Well.....made it to that mystery location. The weather could be better, but I'm not complaining. Yours truly made the trip without dying. The truck made the trip without dying - that "Nine Mile Hill" was a steep one. And when I arrived at the park, the Airstream was still attached.

Everything I have asked the AS to do - she's doing it. Fridge is keeping everything really cold, the microwave is serving the food piping hot; haven't had a chance to try the gas range/stove because I left the ignition gun at home. Still haven't figured out electric switch for water heater, but I'm not sweating it because the propane version is working.

Here's the FAN at the foot of a mist-enveloped mountain.

I think I'm gonna like this Airstreaming business.

Old 10-07-2011, 10:10 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly at Night View Post
Afraid not. I'm leaving the flight-attendant uniform at home.

BTW, does anyone know where the switch for the "auto" hot-water tank is? It's running on propane - was like that since I picked it up from the dealership. For the life of me, I cannot find the switch to change to auto or "electric" hot-water heat.
Not sure that you have an electric option. Our 28' International heats water using propane only and I'm reasonably certain that's the same for most modern Airstreams. Ours is a 6 gallon model and is pretty efficient, except when spiders make their nests in the mixing chamber that is....

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
Old 10-07-2011, 10:11 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Oh, and we're glad that you're having a good time! :~)

Old 10-08-2011, 05:57 AM   #25
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
2011 30' International
mooresburg , Tennessee
water heater switches are in the bathroom on the wall in mine.
Old 10-08-2011, 06:10 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Canton , Georgia
Ours has a plug inside the camper, the electric heating element for the water heater plugs into a close by outlet which is on the wall by the window in the bedroom, but we assume it was an addition by the previous owner!
Old 10-08-2011, 07:02 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
Brunswick , Georgia
Cool pic with the mysterious fog!
Scooby doo where are you?
WBCCI #3321
TAC #GA-24
Old 10-08-2011, 08:52 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc6452 View Post
water heater switches are in the bathroom on the wall in mine.
Ya'but she's asking about dual propane-electric water heaters. Can't say I've ever heard of those. Our furnace & HW heater are propane only. Two- or three-way fridges; yes. Water heaters? hmmm...

Fly at Night? Think you'll try Cafe Pascual's on this trip? Our family sure has enjoyed it there. Couch forum-a-nistas like us aren't the type to put on sunglasses & adult diapers -- the aluminum gives us away in your rearview mirror. Good luck to anyone trying to track me only by knowing my destination. Though I'm not going to pull a Gary Hart and challenge the press (or this community) to follow me around.

This post included -- yes, I commonly plead 'coffee' for any free-association posting that I might get away with.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

Old 10-08-2011, 09:26 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
The 2012 Airstreams have electric or propane combination water heater. Selector switches in bath.

doug k
Old 10-08-2011, 10:28 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Toad, that makes sense. I can't find the elec. switch because there isn't one. Thanks for the heads-up.

gtc, yep. I found that main hot-water tank switch. How could I miss it? Whenver I am seated on the loo it is staring me right in the face. It gives the most assuring clunk when I press it - the system is giving me lotsa hot water. Oh....one thing I discovered, if it doesn`t kick in, turn it off for 30 seconds and try again. Something about length of time between heating - it has to reboot or something. One thing I am pleasant surprised about is the tank`s ability to keep the water hot long after I have flipped the switch off. On day one, it was really cold here. After two-plus hours, the water was still hot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_lewis77 View Post
Cool pic with the mysterious fog!
Scooby doo where are you?
lewis, hokay. wouldn`t want you to lose sleep or nuttin`.
This will give you an idea of the general area.

Every tourist passing through has to stop and do the hokey photo-op. The first Rambo movie was shot in and around Hope, hence the hysteria. Many scenes were filmed at the Othello Tunnels. If you ever make your way here, they are worth looking at. I didn`t stop because I have been there many times, sans Airstream.
The Othello Tunnels Hope BC Fraser Canyon Kettle Valley Railway Coquihalla Canyon

Canoe Stream asked....Fly at Night? Think you'll try Cafe Pascual's on this trip?

I tried, but........

Rambo: You got some place I can eat around here?
Teasle: Theres a diner about thirty miles up the road.
Rambo: Is there a law against me getting something to eat here?
Teasle: Yeah, me.

....so carried on to Nine-Mile Hill. At the summit, you`ll find the Hope Slide.

In 1965, half the blinkin`mountain came down. I`m glad it didn`t come down on my new Airstream. I know...I know. Pretty crass and materialistic, huh. There is a viewpoint at the slide, but likewise didn`t stop because I have been there many times. But it`s another good place to see with the trailer. Lots of parking with a small picnic area, and signage detailing the slide. The viewing area and rebuilt highway is atop the rubble.

Carrying on eastward a few miles, finally made it to my destination - the Sunshine Valley RV Resort. I chose this for my shakedown cruise because it wasn`t too far away from home base, and was given two nights of complimentary stay when I purchased the trailer from the dealer. Of course, nothing really is free; was given a sales pitch to buy into the resort and its network throughout North America. Sunshine Valley is part of the Holiday Trails membership network. I will give you some details later. I don`t know if the full membership would be viable at this point in time, but there are other options.

Anyway, Sunshine Valley is their latest project; the resort is not finished, but has many nice ammenities. I will take some more pictures later today - the indoor pool is very inviting. It is open year round. They hope to lure the skiers from nearby Manning Park. Right now the place is abuzz with ATVers, but they are located at the rear of the park, so it`s fairly quiet where I am parked right now.

It was nice to wake-up to sun and the fresh mountain air. I feel like one of the Waltons.

The roof of the resort clubhouse featuring a store, indoor & outdoor pools, exercise room, community meeting area etc. The sites offer more privacy than usual; the cedar hedging is nice!

Talk to you later John Boys, et al. There`s a nice creek at the back of the resort - the dog wants to go for a walk and get her feet wet.

If I get ambitious, might even hike the old highway to the point where it was obliterated by the slide.

I like to inspect these anomalies......
the highway to nowhere.
Old 10-08-2011, 10:31 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
The 2012 Airstreams have electric or propane combination water heater. Selector switches in bath.

doug k
Oops. Back to square one. I haven`t found a switch. (If there indeed is the option on the 2010s).
Old 10-08-2011, 11:10 AM   #32
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
Brunswick , Georgia
My AS is "vintage". That means i am just glad when things like water heaters work! This electric vs propane thing is very confusing! Lol! Haha

Thanks for the update! Looks like fun! I am jealous of the mountains! I always forget how flat it is here in the low country.
WBCCI #3321
TAC #GA-24
Old 10-08-2011, 11:11 AM   #33
2 Rivet Member

2011 34' Classic
Vancouver , Washington
Ours is dual -- switch for each in the bathroom next to each other.
Old 10-08-2011, 11:24 AM   #34
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly at Night View Post
Oops. Back to square one. I haven`t found a switch. (If there indeed is the option on the 2010s).
Our 2010 Classic has both AC and Propane. If you have AC there will be two switches side by side. I am guessing that is is in classics only in 2010. If they all work like ours, you are not missing anything. Ours does not seem to heat the water much at all. The gas does such a good job, I haven't bothered yet to see if our AC heater is working right or not.

Ken
Old 10-08-2011, 02:05 PM   #35
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
2011 30' International
mooresburg , Tennessee
keep having fun, it never gets old.
Old 10-09-2011, 09:34 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
w7, thanks. I guess I'll use the propane now, regardless. It does a dandy job keeping the water hot - very hot!

gtc, yes, sir. That's what it's all about.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch (found out today the park used to be called Trites Ranch) what does one eat during "The Breakfast Show?"
A brekkie Waldorf consisting of chopped apples, celery, trail mix, and vanilla yogurt.
Very healthy. If I keep this up, I'll be glowing....like the Airstream in the campfire light.

Right now I can smell the bacon grease from the other side of the park, or redneck central. I have also discovered this area is a haven for ATVers.

Now, I don't particularly have anything against rednecks...but it's my observation there are the toy hauler types, and there are the Airstream types. Like our trailers, we're made out of different construction materials. The difference is like apples 'n oranges......or aluminum and particle board.

After only two days, I can spot the ATVers a mile away. They come rolling up in their barn-sized toy hauler. Out pops Grizzly Adams....with three little grizzlies in tow. Then out comes Mama Grizzly with the Cheeze Whiz. Next, the ATV's....big ones, little ones.... there's a size for everyone. When I was a kid, we grew in and out of school clothes; then they were passed onto someone else. A redneck family grows in and out of a ATV.

But the bee all and end all happened last night whilst sitting outside the AS enjoying my glass of pinot. Papa and baby grizzly roared by and actually laughed at my Airstream landscaping - the pink flamingoes and topiary trees. I suspect a redneck's idea of topiary is the old living-room sofa covered in Kudzu, aka the vine that ate the South.

Or maybe it was just my wine glass....the one without the lid.

To be continued......
Old 10-10-2011, 06:45 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Brilliant Fly!

I shall never look at a ATVer in quite the same light again :~)

Old 10-12-2011, 08:22 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Glad you got a charge out of it, Toad
Old 10-06-2012, 07:00 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
The Breakfast Show is Back on the Road......Down the Lost Highway

It begins.

What is that silver thing blocking my view?

A flying saucer?

A mirage?

A giant silver finger from the great overseer of all things Airstream telling me not to proceed?

umm....not really. Someone's truck key got in the way......

On the Lost Highway you will find the Lost Resort featuring "Swimming and Therapy Pools"........

....except you can't get in and the pool was empty......

...and there's no children in the playground either....

Maybe tomorrow will bring a brush with humanity.....
Old 10-06-2012, 07:04 PM   #40
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Horsies! Giddup!!
Closed Thread