Old 03-27-2013, 12:58 AM   #113
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
On the Driveway #7 - The Bodyguard

ahhh, Spring. The warming of the earth. The greening of the bud. The anticipation of new awakenings and discoveries......and a hired gun.

Since the Canadian government took our guns away, I am loathe to travel to the United States unarmed.

So, am thinking of picking up a hired gun in Seattle before venturing down the snowbird trail next winter. I would feel better with this kind of arrangement in place.

I have already sent a request to a security company in Seattle. I also asked that the candidate be a non-drinker and smoker, reasonably intelligent, and able to drive a truck and trailer when required. I will provide the meals and sleeping accomodation, i.e. the fold-down dinette at the back of the trailer. I will be in the front bedroom.

After arriving at our destination, the hired gun will be provided with a return airline ticket to Seattle.

I wonder what the cost will be? It will be interesting to receive their quote.

Praise the open road.....
and pass the ammunition?

Old 03-27-2013, 01:52 AM   #114
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly at Night View Post
ahhh, Spring. The warming of the earth. The greening of the bud. The anticipation of new awakenings and discoveries......and a hired gun.

Since the Canadian government took our guns away, I am loathe to travel to the United States unarmed.

So, am thinking of picking up a hired gun in Seattle before venturing down the snowbird trail next winter. I would feel better with this kind of arrangement in place.

I have already sent a request to a security company in Seattle. I also asked that the candidate be a non-drinker and smoker, reasonably intelligent, and able to drive a truck and trailer when required. I will provide the meals and sleeping accomodation, i.e. the fold-down dinette at the back of the trailer. I will be in the front bedroom.

After arriving at our destination, the hired gun will be provided with a return airline ticket to Seattle.

and pass the ammunition?

Hi, I'm obviously not you, but I find this entirely un-necessary. Bring a large can of Bear Spray if you feel in-secure, or unsafe. Or bring a friend with you to share the experience of Airstream travel.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 06:06 AM   #115
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
Metairie , Louisiana
Quote:

and pass the ammunition?
Thanks to the proliferation of splatter-flicks masquerading as horror movies, I find a chainsaw to be a very intimidating self-defense weapon, and perfectly legal to carry in your Airstream.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Engineering: Finding complex solutions to simple problems you didn't even know you had.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:04 AM   #116
4 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari
Tunnel Hill , Georgia
Quote:

and pass the ammunition?
Have you considered putting together a caravan?

Remember its not the destination, but rather the journey.... its what's in the middle that matters the most!
Bk Yd Safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:15 AM   #117

2012 Interstate Coach
Metairie , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bk Yd Safari View Post
Have you considered putting together a caravan?
Or using one of these SUVs as a tow vehicle…
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ASV-150_Dragoon_United-States_01.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	181954  
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Engineering: Finding complex solutions to simple problems you didn't even know you had.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:43 AM   #118
JDS
2014 Bowlus Road Chief

Cumming , Iowa
Ummm, seems that someone has decided to go fishing early this year...

John S.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:21 AM   #119
JDS
2014 Bowlus Road Chief

Cumming , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDS View Post

John S.
And by "someone" I mean Fly at Night, to forestall any confusion.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:38 AM   #120
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDS View Post

John S.
Sorry? What do you mean by fishing?

I am dead serious - no pun intended. I have thought of a caravan, but my work being what it is, I have to grab a departure date when I can. Caravans are usually planned well in advance.

As far as friends and relatives go, they are likewise occupied, or I just do not want to travel with them.

I can understand why some may think this request is off-the-wall, but in my mind it is a rational and plausible solution, spurned by some ominious premonitions.

The request I sent to a security firm in Seattle was a month ago. They have not replied. Did they think I was bluffing? Regardless, they could have had the decency to reply.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:52 AM   #121

2012 Interstate Coach
Metairie , Louisiana
Quote:
I am dead serious - no pun intended. I have thought of a caravan, but my work being what it is, I have to grab a departure date when I can. Caravans are usually planned well in advance.

I can understand why some may think this request is off-the-wall, but in my mind, it is a rational and plausible solution.
As one who thought your idea of a hired gun was a joke, with your kind permission I'll continue to consider it a joke. I'd rather think that than to think that visitors to our fair country might have reason to fear for their lives while traveling on our highways.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Old 03-27-2013, 10:00 AM   #122
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
As one who thought your idea of a hired gun was a joke, with your kind permission I'll continue to consider it a joke. I'd rather think that than to think that visitors to our fair country might have reason to fear for their lives while traveling on our highways.
Protagonist, this was not written to incite paranoia, another gun debate, or slander the United States of America. I have great respect for your country.

In my last reply, I have added the reason: some ominious premonitions about travel - regardless of destination or means.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:28 AM   #123

2012 Interstate Coach
Metairie , Louisiana
Quote:
Protagonist, this was not written to incite paranoia, another gun debate, or slander the United States of America. I have great respect for your country.

In my last reply, I have added the reason: some ominious premonitions about travel - regardless of destination or means.
As I said, at first I did think it was a joke, given the tone of some of your previous posts on this thread. I did not see your post as slanderous to the USA. I also didn't see it as a prelude to a gun debate, and I don't think you're trying to make anyone paranoid. I might harbor suspicions that you're being paranoid…

But even as insensitive and self-centered as I am, I can't help but be dismayed over the idea that someone feels the need to hire a bodyguard in order to travel. I hope that when it's all over, you can laugh about worrying over nothing, because I'd rather see that than your premonitions becoming prophetic.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Old 03-27-2013, 10:44 AM   #124
JDS
2014 Bowlus Road Chief

Cumming , Iowa
Quote:
Sorry? What do you mean by fishing?

As far as friends and relatives go, they are likewise occupied, or I just do not want to travel with them.

I can understand why some may think this request is off-the-wall, but in my mind it is a rational and plausible solution, spurned by some ominious premonitions.

The request I sent to a security firm in Seattle was a month ago. They have not replied. Did they think I was bluffing? Regardless, they could have had the decency to reply.
Hi FaN,

Count me among those who thought you were kidding - I thought you had tossed out a line & bait and were reeling in those who took you at face value. I am someone who never locks their house and generally don't feel threatened, certainly not camping.

John S.
Old 03-27-2013, 11:28 AM   #125
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
I have the answer for you FLY but you would not listen to an old guy like me. Buy a motorhome and then you can just fire it up and drive off without getting out of the unit.

Seriously, if you travel and stop at travel stops, tourist stops, campgrounds, and even WM, I doubt you will ever have any concern. Book your campgrounds ahead and don't push the schedule so that you can't keep your reservations.

The PNW is one of the friendliest areas of the the big USA. It gets a little busier and more impersonal as you get further south, but I don't think you have anything more to worry about than you would in Abbotsford.

There is always a large amount of RV traffic heading south in the fall, and you will meet and see the same people at different stops on the way. Get a CB and enjoy the truckers chatter and you will feel like you are part of the "highway family".

You never got this far in life by not doing 'stuff'. Go for it.

Dave
"LOVE and LOSS, are two of the greatest emotions one can experience. -- I went to school to learn about "WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN" but I had to live my life to learn the lesson of: 'WITH LOVE THERE WILL BE SORROW'."
David Stewart. (after loosing my NAVIGATOR)
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 11:41 AM   #126
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Oakley , California
Don't you know...anyone can buy a gun here, even Canucks. Detour to Idaho, say around Standpoint sign up for a Militia and they'll issue you some type of automatic weapon on the spot! If you are the loner type, and don't want to join anything make your way over to Detroit where you can buy a gun on any street corner. No private security needed and problem solved!