Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 03:37 PM   #141
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly at Night View Post
- before visiting Quebec, please learn some basic French; if you do not order your poutine in the native tongue, they may spit in it
No offense to our Quebecois brethren who may not know any better, but Poutine sure seems like a way to ruin perfectly good French fries. Everyone from Tex-Mex country knows, the only proper topping for French Fries is nacho cheese and chili!
Old 03-27-2013, 03:45 PM   #142
JDS
2014 Bowlus Road Chief

Cumming , Iowa
I agree with Protagonist here - I've tried poutine and was underwhelmed, to be polite. To be fair, FaN, I haven't had it in Quebec, so it could have been an inferior product.

John S.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:58 PM   #143
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Oakley , California
But have you tried the horse meat - er, horse beef, in Quebec? Mmmmmm tasty..
Old 03-27-2013, 11:32 PM   #144
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
Brunswick , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrunes View Post
It sure gives the "Horse Head Scene" from The Godfather and different meaning!
WBCCI #3321
TAC #GA-24
Old 03-28-2013, 03:46 AM   #145

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
"If wishes were horses, we'd all be eating steak." Jayne Cobb, Firefly, 2002.
Old 03-28-2013, 06:33 AM   #146
JDS
2014 Bowlus Road Chief

Cumming , Iowa
Quote:
I used to travel regularly to Kazakhstan on business and ate my share of horse meat there (when in Rome...). It didn't taste bad but after a while I got turned off by the yellow looking fat.

John S.
Old 03-28-2013, 07:06 AM   #147
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
You know, as a woman happily traveling with a spouse, I am one of those who openly and vocally admires women who travel alone. And, there are a number of them out there.

That said, more than I would be concerned about personal safety and personal attack (i.e.rape, robbery), it's the being alone in event of a personal or vehicle emergency that leaves me in awe.

Doug always carries a handgun, except when we go into Canada, and has never once had to even reach for it. We have not met women traveling alone, either, who have had to take extreme defensive actions. They are traveling sanely, reasonably and cautiously, and do just fine. They all also seem to have a dog.

A dog wouild alert you to real or perceived danger, and you've received a lot of good, first line of defense suggestions here.

Go for it, I say, and don't worry about hiring a bodyguard!

In the very unlikely event any of us would encounter real danger from other humans on the road, it would likely be one of those crazed isituations that just might mean your number was up, period. Dontcha think?

Don't let fear get the best of you.

Maggie
Old 03-28-2013, 07:51 AM   #148
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Petaluma , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDS View Post
I agree with Protagonist here - I've tried poutine and was underwhelmed, to be polite. To be fair, FaN, I haven't had it in Quebec, so it could have been an inferior product.

John S.
I've enjoyed Poutine in Montreal but when ordering mispronounced it. I got a very quizzical look when I ordered putain which, as I found out later, is something all together different but might include gravy if that's you're thing! ;-)

- Brad
Old 03-28-2013, 09:33 AM   #149
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
modesto , California
Fly,
Calm your fears, stock up on beers and hit the road.
Seriously, I think you may be just a little over cautious about traveling alone.
You have traveled alone in the past with no issues. Do not let the fraidy cats get to you. you are a strong person and can do anything you want too, by yourself or not. Feel strong, look confident and you will be fine.
If you are ever near Modesto, CA. and need anything give me a shout.

Dennis Blakesley
209 312 7643
Old 03-28-2013, 10:02 AM   #150
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
modesto , California
I used to drive a big rig and used a 2' length of pipe as a cheater bar to cinch the load binders and check the tires by bouncing it off each tire.
I suggest you get a piece of pipe (tire pressure checker) for your truck. Before you step outside your rig put on your gloves, get out your pipe and go check your tires.
I think any body seeing you with pipe in hand would think twice about your ability to defend your self. This will also give you a chance to check the AS and build more confidence.

Dennis
Old 03-28-2013, 10:31 AM   #151
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by batman View Post
I used to drive a big rig and used a 2' length of pipe as a cheater bar to cinch the load binders and check the tires by bouncing it off each tire.
I suggest you get a piece of pipe (tire pressure checker) for your truck. Before you step outside your rig put on your gloves, get out your pipe and go check your tires.
I think any body seeing you with pipe in hand would think twice about your ability to defend your self. This will also give you a chance to check the AS and build more confidence.

Dennis
That is a great idea! Or, a baseball bat.

Likely, though, the pipe would do more serious harm.

Maggie
Old 03-28-2013, 10:43 AM   #152
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Use caution when using a 'piece of hollow pipe' as a tire check tool. Any object with uniform density will transmit the shock load over the total length of the tool and result in damage to the wrist and hand. The uniform density makes it hard to transmit the force wanted/required to 'get a reading' on the tire.
A large hammer will take up less space and do the job better, allowing more force to be applied to the working end with the assistance of momentum, thus getting a much better sound bite of the tire condition.
The hammer will be a universal camping tool good for knocking wooden heads, driving ground stakes, to cracking rocks for mineral analysis.

Dave

Quote:
Dennis
"LOVE and LOSS, are two of the greatest emotions one can experience. -- I went to school to learn about "WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN" but I had to live my life to learn the lesson of: 'WITH LOVE THERE WILL BE SORROW'."
David Stewart. (after loosing my NAVIGATOR)
Old 03-28-2013, 10:52 AM   #153
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Oakley , California
Quote:
Fly,
Calm your fears, stock up on beers and hit the road.
Seriously, I think you may be just a little over cautious about traveling alone.
You have traveled alone in the past with no issues. Do not let the fraidy cats get to you. you are a strong person and can do anything you want too, by yourself or not. Feel strong, look confident and you will be fine.
If you are ever near Modesto, CA. and need anything give me a shout.

Dennis Blakesley
209 312 7643
Hey Batman were neighbors...I live in Oakley, CA
Old 03-28-2013, 10:55 AM   #154
4 Rivet Member

2006 31' Classic
Archer , Florida
And don't forget that BECAUSE you are towing an Airstream, help is all around you from any one who owns or has EVER owned an Airstream. This is one great group of friendly helpful folks. I admire your sense of adventure and self confidence!!
Old 03-28-2013, 10:58 AM   #155
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
Brunswick , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Gypsies View Post
And don't forget that BECAUSE you are towing an Airstream, help is all around you from any one who owns or has EVER owned an Airstream.
....and batman!
Remember, it is always important to be yourself....unless you can be Batman. Always be Batman.
WBCCI #3321
TAC #GA-24
Old 03-28-2013, 11:12 AM   #156

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by masseyfarm View Post
Use caution when using a 'piece of hollow pipe' as a tire check tool. Any object with uniform density will transmit the shock load over the total length of the tool and result in damage to the wrist and hand. The uniform density makes it hard to transmit the force wanted/required to 'get a reading' on the tire.
A large hammer will take up less space and do the job better, allowing more force to be applied to the working end with the assistance of momentum, thus getting a much better sound bite of the tire condition.
The hammer will be a universal camping tool good for knocking wooden heads, driving ground stakes, to cracking rocks for mineral analysis.

Dave
An old-fashioned crowbar works just fine as a tire thumper. Or as a head thumper cunningly disguised as a tire thumper. Also good is a four-cell Maglite flashlight, as either tire thumper or head thumper (use the butt end of the flashlight to thump things, not the lens). But for really checking tires, use a gauge. Even after you thump the same tires a bijillion times, you'll still be guessing, "Yeah. That feels about right."
Old 03-28-2013, 11:30 AM   #157
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Also good is a four-cell Maglite flashlight, as either tire thumper or head thumper (use the butt end of the flashlight to thump things, not the lens)."
My daughter asked for a 4-cell Maglite for Christmas after her first summer as counselor at a Girl Scout camp.

Not for 2-legged predators, but the raccoons which came brazenly into their tents at night.

She has carried this flashlight with her to every apartment she ever lived in, including her move to NYC 7 years ago.

Never once has she had to use it on a human, although it was great for whacking those raccoons!

Maggie
Old 03-28-2013, 03:05 PM   #158
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
And don't forget that BECAUSE you are towing an Airstream, help is all around you from any one who owns or has EVER owned an Airstream.....

.....and Batman.
Batman doesn't fly into Canada.

But we have Mr. Canoehead.

Old 03-28-2013, 03:07 PM   #159
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Thank-you again all, for your advice and encouraging words. It was also very kind of our forum "batman" to offer his assistance, should I be in the area. I would love to visit a friend in San Diego. She runs a catering company/cooking school. That's something that sure interests me.

I have to work this weekend, and the weather is gorgeous. Have already seen a few rigs heading out.

I hope everyone has a safe and happy weekend, especially those lucky bunnies who will be Airstreaming.

FaN
Old 03-28-2013, 03:12 PM   #160
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Happy Easter, and, I'm sure this will make you feel better at work. Just remember, somebody has to work to support my pension.

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly at Night View Post
I have to work this weekend, and the weather is gorgeous. Have already seen a few rigs heading out.
I hope everyone has a safe and happy weekend, especially those lucky bunnies who will be Airstreaming.
FaN
"LOVE and LOSS, are two of the greatest emotions one can experience. -- I went to school to learn about "WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN" but I had to live my life to learn the lesson of: 'WITH LOVE THERE WILL BE SORROW'."
David Stewart. (after loosing my NAVIGATOR)
Closed Thread