Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 01-08-2015, 10:34 PM   #1101
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msmoto View Post
It is certainly a good thing we do not use our arms when we claim fuel mileage...
Msmoto, LOL!

Having a pilot onboard might be a good thing, though. I recently asked my flying friend about fuel calculation on the Boeing. I can't remember it all exactly, but they have to calculate a myriad of scenarios in regards to destination, reserve, and diversionary fuel. It made my head spin!
Old 01-09-2015, 12:51 PM   #1102
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Now I get it FaN. It was the fuel nozzle dude from the Gimli Glider trying to explain to the pilot the reading on the dipstick. Jim

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 01-09-2015, 04:02 PM   #1103
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Flower View Post
Now I get it FaN. It was the fuel nozzle dude from the Gimli Glider trying to explain to the pilot the reading on the dipstick. Jim

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums

Hilarious! I like this answer best of all!!
Old 01-11-2015, 12:59 PM   #1104
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Great. Must be due to your familiarity with the archetype considering the "view from your house". No sardines. Jim

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 01-25-2015, 06:48 AM   #1105
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Greensboro , North Carolina
Recent activity?

Hello to the Breakfast Club...at 8:44 AM. Just wondering who is reading after having returned from Motor City a few days ago....

Maybe a photo from "Open Hood Days" at The Henry Ford, Dearborn, Michigan. At least something to grab a piece of nostalgia, and start a discussion of the "good old days"....for some of the more chronologically more mature readers....LOL

The Henry Ford 2015_ by Fantinesvoice.com, on Flickr
AIR #31871 KQ3H

www.fantinesvoice.com
Old 01-25-2015, 07:04 AM   #1106
Refugee from Napa, CA

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Formerly Napa , On the road
I had a '61 VW Bus and lived in it in Yosemite. The accelerator cable broke and to replace it I had to get to the VW dealer in Merced, eighty miles of mountain roads.

I tied a piece of string to the carb, out the rear engine compartment, in the rear window, up to the front seat. Drove the entire eighty miles pulling the string to accelerate....

God, those were great days....
Old 01-25-2015, 02:20 PM   #1107
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I can't remember how many times I replaced the accelerator cable in a '59 VW—the connection at the carb. end between the wire and the part that attached to the carb. broke often. Then if you were lucky the wire didn't go back into the tunnel where it went to the accelerator and you could fish a new one through. But I was not often lucky. I kept a spare in the VW after the first failure. I had a European model with the semaphores in the B pillar, but they had been covered with Bondo and didn't work. It had the sunroof, but the canvas had rotted, so I put a plexiglass roof on top. The engine had to be rebuilt, wheel bearings went out and many other things weren't so good. I got the car from someone who owed me money around '79 and drove it for a few years and then sold it for 50% more to someone who took it to Cal. where he surely got much more for it.

The car went up Colorado passes at about 40 mph, but went through snow very well. With no heater, you had to be careful not to breathe on the windshield in the morning or it would fog up. They were pretty crappy cars, even by the standards of the time. Later I traded for a VW bus, one with the 2nd generation fuel injection (the 1st gen. fuel injection engine was really bad, based on the very bad suitcase engine). It was much, much faster—could go 60+ up steep grades—good for camping and fun to drive. Never broke an accelerator cable either. It actually had a fan to push air to the windshield or right foot (left foot was left to freeze), so I installed another fan under the dashboard and the heat was somewhat better, except for the frozen left foot. I had problems, quite common, with oil leaking and never got that really solved. Had to replace the clutch twice—the first one had a bad thrust bearing and gave out in 75 miles. Since the rear bumper had been pushed in and was made of the hardest steel ever created, I had to chain the bumper to a tree and pull the vehicle forward and then chock all the wheels to be able to drop the engine to get to the clutch. As soon as the tension was let off, the bumper returned to being pushed in. Later I backed into a Rolls Royce. He had been close behind me so I couldn't see him and pulled to the curb right behind me. I backed up a little and heard a bang. I got out and when I saw the Rolls I didn't feel very good. Seems a Rolls front bumper was made of the same hard steel the VW bumper was and no damage ensued.

That wasn't the only VW—I had a Rabbit for a short time, but it was a very bad car and I got rid of it as soon as I could. As cheaply made as the '59 was, it lasted many years, but I'll bet the Rabbits didn't. Seeing MsMoto's photo of a VW with the back open (is it the hood or the trunk?) reminds me that some of them had to be driven in the summer with the back open or they would overheat and stall. Cooling was never good on them and one of the front cylinders (can't remember if it was left or right) never got enough air and would be the first one to need a rebuild. It was a 50,000 mile engine if you were lucky.

I saved a lot of money driving junkers and weird cars years ago; I could make them run for little money. When I met Barb, I was required to buy new or almost new cars (actually trucks), and that has not been so bad. Our selections have improved greatly (she had a sporty Dodge when I met here and it was another bad car). Since then we hardly have ever had to spend much on truck repairs and I haven't had to fix much. I still do maintenance and minor fixes and that's about all that's necessary. It is not as easy to crawl under the trucks as it used to be, but I am stubborn. By posting, I have been avoiding rotating tires on the Tundra. Those big tires we have now weigh about 400 lbs. each, but I'll do it. They weigh more every year. But, wait! I bought them at Discount tires and they will rotate them for free, I think. I'd better check that.

Gene

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Old 01-25-2015, 03:47 PM   #1108
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Welcome to the Breakfast Show.......

Rotate them for free, yes.

Have them rebalanced on Road Force Hunter 9700 machine. 25-ozs or less reading. When tires new tell them you want OEM Mercedes tire spec on balance weight; reject otherwise, IMO.

Ck your tire gauge against their master, or from wall mount digital pressure read at air fill, usually in bay nearest office.

I think you already have a tread depth gauge. It is what I use to determine if rotation needed.
Old 01-26-2015, 11:25 AM   #1109
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Same here on tread gauge—tells about rotation and alignment. I have a couple of pressure gauges and they are all pretty close. No evidence on uneven tire wear from tread gauge, so no need to rebalance. I've had these balanced 3 times, force balanced 2 of those times after a really bad job where I bought them—stay away from Pueblo, Colorado Discount Tires.

Before this becomes another tire thread, FaN, how is the reality show going? Are you having a wild time with Hollywood stars? And when can I get the product (not something I would eat, but once for you).

Gene

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Old 01-27-2015, 09:20 PM   #1110
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Quote:
Before this becomes another tire thread, FaN, how is the reality show going? Are you having a wild time with Hollywood stars? And when can I get the product (not something I would eat, but once for you).
Gene, your admonition was well-founded. My food tech warned me about a scam involving a similar venture. My promoter is legit, but the warning did dampen the enthusiasm somewhat.

My trusty assistant is by my side. He was a flight attendant/purser for a major airline for almost 30 years. He is worldly, to say the least, and not about to hold his tongue when something sounds like a one-way trip to nowhere (on or off the camel)!

I'll let you know when "the product" is enroute.
Old 01-27-2015, 09:54 PM   #1111
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, speaking about camels, anyone else sick of this commercial?

"It's hump day!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	geico-hump-day-redux-hed-2014.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	159.6 KB
ID:	231250  
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 01-27-2015, 10:04 PM   #1112
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Or how about this one? Unbelievable by today's standards.

Old 01-27-2015, 10:06 PM   #1113
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
yes.. my Dad came out of the Army as a Camel, filterless smoker.. icky.

Spoke to him tonight.. he's 81.. and said "I have a touch of emphysema and lower lung capacity"... wow.. he seemed so 'smart' when we were growing up..

Makes me wonder how MY kids will see us in a few years... or may already do..
Old 01-28-2015, 06:18 AM   #1114
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
FaN, are we getting close to the big reveal?

Maggie
Old 01-29-2015, 09:47 AM   #1115
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Arthur Godfrey had a lung removed (promoted Chesterfield) along with John Wayne and other movie heroes of the 30s, 40s, and 50s who promoted smoking various brands also had negative results from smoking.

I am glad I got throwing up sick on two cigarettes and never tried them again.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
Old 01-29-2015, 10:14 AM   #1116
Rivet Master

2016 28' Pendleton
Currently Looking...
Scottsdale , Arizona
Hi from AZ. . . OK, if it's VW stories you want. . . We went bone fishing in Mexico, & one cloudy day we were taken to famous Mayan site for day of sight-seeing in Lodge's VW camper. On way it quit going, engine running but stall when you gave it gas. The pin, which was the pivot point in the external fuel pump, and fallen out. (did I mention we were in the literal 'middle of nowhere') After much head scratching by non English speaking driver/fishing guide, I took a license plate screw off, threaded it in to the pump, & we were on our way. I did not pay for another cerveza that week !. . .fun times, Craig
Old 01-29-2015, 01:01 PM   #1117
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
Those were the days. A screwdriver a vice-grips and a crescent hammer were sufficient tools to repair 99% of all car troubles.
Old 01-30-2015, 03:04 PM   #1118
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
An emery board for the points was a necessity, too.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
Old 01-30-2015, 11:36 PM   #1119
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
FaN, are we getting close to the big reveal?

Maggie
Maggie, see PM.
Old 01-31-2015, 05:55 AM   #1120
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
This is very exciting!

I'm waiting for permission to share.

Maggie