Old 10-31-2013, 02:53 PM   #603
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post
If you go to the website and read their offerings, you will see what I am talking about.

Please, report back!

Maggie
Maggie,

I love, love, love their copywriting!! The subtle drama is sheer marketing genius.....(and their handbags are to die for too). Does the FaN really need the next frill? I think I'm going to treat myself instead one day.

I will be subscribing to the catalogue - just for the vicarious thrill!!

Thanks so much for the referral.

Old 10-31-2013, 03:06 PM   #604
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Glad you like it.

I am wearing one of their tops as I write.

Maggie

Old 10-31-2013, 03:11 PM   #605
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDS View Post
Well FaN,

Just a fact check here. Is that make-up or are they real shiners?? Inquiring minds want to know!

Your friend,

John S.
Dear Friend,

The photo was taken this week while attending a trade show/marketing event. I asked the face painter if she could make me look like a ghoul, but ended up looking like I had gone a few rounds with George Foreman.
Old 11-02-2013, 02:01 PM   #606
Vintage Kin

Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly at Night View Post
Wow! Thanks for the professional input and tips.

It's a hard haul for Canadian truckers; high fuel prices and taxes. Then there is the terrain and weather. Maybe those night drivers are really on the line.

Would I do another "Fly at Night"? Not unless absolutely necessary.

Oh well. Something to reflect upon when my arteries harden and the only thing I'll be driving is a scooter.
(Those drivers are just as likely to be heading home for the few hours they likely have at that locale. The understanding of cost is what enables one to run another 30-rpm -- 10-mph -- faster).

With respect to age it is in establishing good habits in performing pre-trip and post-trip checklists as well as good habits behind the wheel. A plan . . . and how to deal with difficulties. Bad drivers never do it and why they are atrocious once old.

After all, one may wish to travel in this manner to age 75. Or, that one has to. It is not only ourselves, but family & frends who may need our expertise.

Those of us of an age to have covered hundreds of thousands of miles on vacations or for wrok outside the metro areas -- continent-crossings --are becoming rarer. Healthy respect [read: caution] is the bellwether for travel in extremis. The youngest adults among us are less to likely to even own cars, much less have travelled when others would counsel staying put. We do not throw caution to the winds, but at least have an idea of what for others is literally terra incognita.

Those who plan to travel at night (a missing predicate in thinking) are all too dependent on others, others who may not or will not appear if necessary (remember the burned house of the man who didn't pay his fire insurance), Road markings, available services and credit cards are all a level of abstraction; they are the first things to disappear.

I've enjoyed the writing-as-exercise-in-style, and the references made (noir, clothing romance) so put me down for one with a FILSON jacket and REDWING boots where practicality, proven trumps all else. I find that plenty of mil-spec fits the bill nicely. MIL-SPEC MONKEY blog is one such site going back years. Just filter for ones own outdoor uses.

A blown tire on a windy/rainy night is the test where one has to secure the site on the side of the highway with warning triangles and flares, not just change a tire. Vehicle emergency flashers are in NO WAY enough to do this (else police and other first responder vehciles would have little else). The right tools/equipment is 90%, learning to use it well is 10% . . so include CLASS II or III safety clothing.

It isn't "if", but when . . . and as you are on the road you are yet another disposable (north) American out there in flyover country. The cavalry won't be riding to rescue.

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 08:27 PM   #607
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Another amazing reply. You are a literate, astute, individual.

The vision of such intelligentsia hanging around those weenie stops is somewhat unusual.
Old 11-03-2013, 01:13 AM   #608
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
They Drive by Night -The Finale (So Massey Can Finally Get Some Rest!)

......The intersection which would take me to the Coquihalla turn-off and the dreaded meet-up with the truckers on the "Smasher" was approaching.

My hands clutched the steering wheel.

And then I got lost.

Don't ask me how it happened, but instead of going down, I found myself going up another big hill and was surrounded by an alien landscape.

But there wasn't a trucker in sight. Nor were there any cars. Just a deserted highway amongst some very pretty hill country with lots of lakes.

The truck's digital compass indicated south. I was going in the right direction, so elected to just keep going.

This unplanned detour turned into the most enjoyable drive of the trip. Now I could relax. One of my favourite chants from the Benedictine Monks of Santo Domingo de Silos is popped into the CD player......

The Benedictine Monks of Santo Domingo de Silos in Spain - YouTube

.....and the experience becomes ethereal.

The smaller lakes gave way to a big lake which I now recognized as Nicola. (I had accidentally taken Highway 5A instead of Highway 5 and would highly recommend this route!)

Just Some Road-Kamloops to Merritt on Highway 5A - YouTube

I was soon upon the historic Quilchena Ranch. There is a RV Park there too.

Welcome to Quilchena Hotel

I am then into Merritt and back on the Trans-Canada. Two hours later a dusty Airstream pulls into a familiar driveway.

Home!

Epilogue: I would like to return to Banff - but I will make sure I phone Tunnel Mountain well before my planned departure so I can get a spot. The best sight-seeing bus tours depart from Banff; the Columbia Icefields tour is a must see next time.

This was the longest AS trip (so far). The FaN impresses me more with every trip. I had no maintenance issues whatsoever. Everything worked exceptionally well. My previous "warm refrigerator" problem was not a problem at all. I had not set the fridge high enough. When I realized this, I reset it, and the fridge remained a safe 35 degrees (and there were a few hot days in Calgary).

The FaN goes in for winterization in a couple of weeks. I can relate to those winterization regrets many of you have expressed.

But the long, chilly nights will be warmed with the vision of sunshine on metal....and the anticipation of where to next?!

Porky Pig - That's All Folks! (1938 Original In Color!) - YouTube
Old 11-03-2013, 11:46 AM   #609
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Glad you're home safe.

Waiting for word of the next adventure..............

Maggie
Old 11-03-2013, 01:11 PM   #610
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Good to hear you had a successful landing.

In all our travels we have never been on 5A but I am going to try to include that route next June on our way back from Alberta. (north of Edmonton) We usually like to travel east through the Fraser Canyon, and enjoy the exceptional ever changing scenery, but I think I will plan a scenic return via 5A and go into the Douglas Lake Ranch area to see some of that horse and cowboy country.

Douglas Lake Ranch

http://goo.gl/maps/k43Wc

See you on the road.

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly at Night View Post
The smaller lakes gave way to a big lake which I now recognized as Nicola. (I had accidentally taken Highway 5A instead of Highway 5 and would highly recommend this route!)
I was soon upon the historic Quilchena Ranch. There is a RV Park there too.
I am then into Merritt and back on the Trans-Canada. Two hours later a dusty Airstream pulls into a familiar driveway.
Home!
"LOVE and LOSS, are two of the greatest emotions one can experience. -- I went to school to learn about "WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN" but I had to live my life to learn the lesson of: 'WITH LOVE THERE WILL BE SORROW'."
David Stewart. (after loosing my NAVIGATOR)
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 11:33 AM   #611
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post
Glad you're home safe.

Waiting for word of the next adventure..............

Maggie
Thanks, Maggie.

Safe travels to you and yours....always.
Old 11-06-2013, 11:38 AM   #612
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
massey, I've taken the Douglas Lake route, sans Airstream. Be prepared for the amble of horse or cow across the road.

I like the Fraser Canyon route best too - although Jackass Mountain is a hard pull.

Hwy. 5A was a wonderful way to wind-down the trip. Goes to show that those accidental detours sometimes work out. In between the Gregorian chanting, I couldn't get the Bonanza music out of my head; I could almost see Hoss, Little Joe, Adam, and Ben Cartwright galloping over the hills.....

Bonanza opening.wmv - YouTube
Old 11-07-2013, 06:17 PM   #613
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona
Why drive when you can fly in a Government aircraft.The DC-9 is a United States Of America aircraft used by Presidents Reagan,Bush,Clinton,Bush.We just moved it up here to Castle airport where it is going into the Castle Air Museum.
Have more photos of the inside if anyone would like to see them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00681.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	199513   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00674.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	162.9 KB
ID:	199514  

jimmini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 08:51 PM   #614
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Why don't you start an aviation thread in the Off Topic Forum and post them there?
Old 11-11-2013, 11:12 AM   #615
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
No light-hearted crunch from the Breakfast Show today.

Just a quiet reflection on this Remembrance Day.

They were so young.

World War Two Radio Chatter- Lancaster Crew - YouTube

BBMF Lancaster Drops Poppies over Bomber Command Memorial - YouTube
Old 11-19-2013, 11:54 AM   #616
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
I hope you have this task completed today as you are in for some good freeze nights for the rest of this week Paula.

Dave

[QUOTE=Fly at Night;1375086The FaN goes in for winterization in a couple of weeks. I can relate to those winterization regrets many of you have expressed.

But the long, chilly nights will be warmed with the vision of sunshine on metal....and the anticipation of where to next?!

"LOVE and LOSS, are two of the greatest emotions one can experience. -- I went to school to learn about "WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN" but I had to live my life to learn the lesson of: 'WITH LOVE THERE WILL BE SORROW'."
David Stewart. (after loosing my NAVIGATOR)
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote