Old 10-22-2013, 12:37 PM   #575
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
You Can't Keep 'em on the Farm Once They Have Seen Paree!

Things are like....kinda closing in again, personally and meteorologically. (Been socked-in with fog for over a week).

The FaN is hitched. Heading up the Fraser Canyon. I hear it's clear and sunny.

Just a short hop; have to be home by Friday.

I am grateful (for my shiny escapemobile).

Au Revoir!

Old 10-23-2013, 06:53 PM   #576
4 Rivet Member

1997 25' Safari
Yakima , Washington
I hope it is just the fog and lack of sunshine, along with the Friday date that you need to be back home by, that is causing feeling of things closing in on you. Getting to a sunnier area may be of some help, as well as pushing the looming calendar to the recesses of your mind, may help things. However, time waits for no man, woman, or FaN. Have a great time on the rest of your trip.

1997 25' Safari
2012 Chevy Silverado HD 2500
Duramax/Allison
dirigible25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 08:03 PM   #577
Prairie Schooner II

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly at Night View Post
Things are like....kinda closing in again, personally and meteorologically. (Been socked-in with fog for over a week).

Au Revoir!
Fly at Night
Up the Fraser Valley
Towards Hope

Safe trip. Jim
Old 10-23-2013, 08:08 PM   #578
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Round Rock , Texas
When I count my blessings my life is full too!
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 08:56 PM   #579
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
OMG !!!!! Be careful. I know HELLS GATE is in that direction.

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly at Night View Post

Au Revoir!
"LOVE and LOSS, are two of the greatest emotions one can experience. -- I went to school to learn about "WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN" but I had to live my life to learn the lesson of: 'WITH LOVE THERE WILL BE SORROW'."
David Stewart. (after loosing my NAVIGATOR)
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 01:13 AM   #580
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirigible25 View Post
I hope it is just the fog and lack of sunshine, along with the Friday date that you need to be back home by, that is causing feeling of things closing in on you. Getting to a sunnier area may be of some help, as well as pushing the looming calendar to the recesses of your mind, may help things. However, time waits for no man, woman, or FaN. Have a great time on the rest of your trip.
Hi Dennis,

So true.

Thanks so much for the nice au revoir.

I walked the frill of the canyon with some of my favourite Gregorian chant on the ipod.

Today's perspective is clearer (and sunnier).
Old 10-27-2013, 01:14 AM   #581
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Flower View Post
Fly at Night
Up the Fraser Valley
Towards Hope

Safe trip. Jim
Interesting place name -
Hope.

Thanks, Jim.
Old 10-27-2013, 01:15 AM   #582
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwf View Post
When I count my blessings my life is full too!
cwf, indeed!
Old 10-27-2013, 01:17 AM   #583
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by masseyfarm View Post
OMG !!!!! Be careful. I know HELLS GATE is in that direction.

Dave
Dave,

I went there, but the sign read, "Closed for the Season."

Whew!
Old 10-27-2013, 11:49 AM   #584
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
They Drive by Night - Continued.....

In the last chapter, our gallant heroine, towing the Airstream trailer she calls "FaN," was careening through the Rocky Mountains, a convoy of truckers on her tail. Who would triumph? Eight wheels or eighteen?
The story continues......

Gripping the wheel tighter, no beefcake trucker one was going to push me off the road. As the angry glare of another Kenworth bore down. I hit the accelerator. The F150 surged with all its might. The FaN screamed in protest with a metallic thud.

"Suck it up, FaN," I shouted at the trailer. "It's this or the scrap heap. Let's see what you're really made of now!"

The FaN shuddered again, steadied, then followed like a devoted greyhound.

Drawing away from the Kenworth, we ravaged miles.

Golden.
Revelstoke.
Salmon Arm.

The small towns came and went like hasty lovers in the night.

Heading into Kamloops, I wondered how long I could continue. I was exhausted, and had almost gone into the drink somewhere in Lake Country. The urge to get home and the urge to sleep slugged it out in the dulled arena of the mind like weary boxers.

I could not go on.

The neon glare of a Flying J Travellers' Spot would be my respit. I swung into the lot - carelessly - the FaN lept the curb like a wild thing. I cranked the wheel hard the other way - she thudded back down with a FWAP!

At the far end of the lot, two SWB trailers were parked, its inhabitants sleeping soundly. I drew alongside and cut the engine.

The FaN's warm bed was only a few feet away, but my legs refused to move. The chill of the early morning air started to permeate the cab of the truck. I grabbed the large astro turf outdoor mat that was behind me and wrapped it around my shivering body. I closed my eyes and my head lolled sideways, coming to rest against the cold glass of the driver's door window.

It felt good against the dried sweat.

That was my last thought.
Sleep.

The journey is almost over, but what lies ahead for our battle-weary heroine? Will she make it? The exciting conclusion next!
Old 10-27-2013, 12:05 PM   #585
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois

I really think you and Gene are ghost writers for J. Peterman.

Astroturf as a blankie? Really??

You need fleece. It's the best.

Looking forward to the teeth-clenching conclusion.

Maggie
Old 10-27-2013, 12:54 PM   #586
Vintage Kin

Corpus Christi , Texas
From a trucker: Keep some Red Bull or 5-Hour Energy around. Good for about that long. And clean the glass inside & out, especially the mirrors. And wipe off all other exterior lamps. Night driving is nothing to fool with. FWIW, Rain-X treatment and glass cleaner makes glass easy to keep up with. And Stoner Invisible Glass along with dedicated microfiber towels.

We overdrive even our high beams at 55-mph (brake distance versus illumination distance).

Down here it is the crude haulers I meet from the other direction running in tandem ten feet apart and a foot over the line on roads with no shoulder that I'd like to shoot. Playing chicken in the Peterbilt is far from my favorite sport. A hot CB radio and some quite choice Spanglish is par. Blind curves are the most exciting at 0300 when circadian rhythm difficulties go to maximum . . and the abysmal high school graduation rates hereabout mean that thinking skill by other drivers is always suspect.

The sort of disregard for traffic devices exhibited makes me think these were local or regional drivers. Contempt through familiarity. Day or night, though, I so rarely see the following that I'll add it in (I pass thousands of other vehicles in year, I literally remember those who do this, as do I when towing my TT): Immediately slow more than 5-mph or more when that big truck moves out to pass. Get him around you as fast as possible AND have far more than a four second separation thereafter.

Ideally, one has a destination already mapped. The less executive decision-making unrelated to the physics of driving at night, the better. Emotional disturbance is what gets truck drivers killed, it is a well-understood maxim . . night only compounds this problem.

I guess I'm old enough to think that night-driving is always a bad idea (that road-markings, etc, can be poor -- anyone remember Toledo Torches? -- and services near non-existent. And a breakdown get any of us killed by another driver much more likely), but to be prepared is itself confidence-building. A few tools, supplies and a slightly longer departure checklist figure in.

I'll not ever understand those who plan vacation trips with night departures (the after-work crowd). Though not related to the post, or the thread tone, (and not a criticism, none of this is intended as such), a barely pre-dawn departure (civil twilight) trumps it handily on every aspect to be considered.

I don't plan to run 90-mph with my rig, but I do plan to test it up to near that speed (mainly brake distances; how long/fast down to 45-mph; wehn do TT brakes fail to work well any longer, etc). In the same fashion, to also be prepared for driving at night. To be prepared, in all ways.

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 02:53 PM   #587
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
Metairie , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
And clean the glass inside & out, especially the mirrors. And wipe off all other exterior lamps. Night driving is nothing to fool with. FWIW, Rain-X treatment and glass cleaner makes glass easy to keep up with. And Stoner Invisible Glass along with dedicated microfiber towels.
Old-fashioned felt blackboard erasers are excellent for cleaning glass. Very absorbent, easy to grip, and don't leave streaks. I carry one in the glove box of every vehicle I own.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Engineering: Finding complex solutions to simple problems you didn't even know you had.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 03:05 PM   #588
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post

I really think you and Gene are ghost writers for J. Peterman.

Maggie
I had no idea who J. Peterman was, so I rushed to the quasi-omniscient Google and found it was a catalog company that went bankrupt years ago and may have valiantly resurfaced, or a character on Seinfeld. I've never seen Seinfeld, but more deep searching revealed this:

"From Seinfeld fame, Elaine's boss at the catalog company.

"Everything that J Peterman said came out sounding like text from a "J Crew" catalog.

"(amazing but in fact this company actually exists too....)
'People want things that are hard to find. Things that have romance, but a factual romance, about them.'"

This was not hard to find and has no romance.

And I'm still wondering about the fight.

Gene