Old 09-14-2013, 03:49 PM   #477
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Wigging, Wagging, and Weaving Through the Rockies

A dent on the bumper, mud-splattered, guards, grime on the shell - no more sitting on the driveway looking pretty - we're getting it hard.

More to follow.......(this campground WiFi is stinks!)

Old 09-14-2013, 04:49 PM   #478
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
All part of the joy of being on the road.

Travel safely,

Maggie

Old 09-14-2013, 05:37 PM   #479
4 Rivet Member

1997 25' Safari
Yakima , Washington
Sounds like you're having fun, except maybe the dent. Glad to hear from you, seems like you have been on "radio silence". Enjoy the rest of your trip.

1997 25' Safari
2012 Chevy Silverado HD 2500
Duramax/Allison
dirigible25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 07:15 PM   #480
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Hey FaN, flying again at last, way to go!

I hate campground wifi. The standard service sux, and rarely gets better, we found.
Old 09-21-2013, 05:31 PM   #481
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Trip to Canada's Texas - The Province of Alberta

Part I
Getting There - Attacking the "Smasher"

Monday September 9th: the FaN is packed, but I've tried to keep the load as light as possible because we are about to tackle the "star" of the Highway Through Hell reality show - The Coquihalla. The Coq rises to an elevation of 4,081 feet. The steepest grade (aka the Smasher) is from the Great Bear Snowshed to the summit (at 9%). Besides the Coq, there are two other highway options: The Hope Princeton's 7% grade to Allison Pass, or the equally daunting grade on the Fraser Canyon's Jackass Mountain. To quote another RVer, "Pick your poison." ha, ha.

Oh, the drama..... but we made it. I will not disquality the Smasher's claim; the FaN's tow vehicle (F150 pick-up) was straining much of the way. The upswing is that you will not be alone. I tucked-in behind the long line of eighteen-wheelers going no more than 20 - 30 mph. It was a fairly warm day (high 70s F.) The F150 did not oveheat, thanks to the transmission cooler which was installed after purchase of the FaN.

Mercifully, there is a rest area at the summit with lots of truck and RV parking. I thought it might be a good idea to rest the F150, so stopped and drank in the scenery (along with a bottle of Dasani water).

Here is a clip - part of the Smasher......
Old 09-21-2013, 06:06 PM   #482
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Really Big Sky country. Thanks!
Old 09-23-2013, 01:57 PM   #483
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
First Stop - I Love Lucy Style!

After "The Smasher," the drive to Kamloops was relatively uneventful. I burned a lot of gas conquering the Coq, so had to fuel-up in Kamloops. After fuelling-up, I then got lost looking for the Trans-Canada Hwy., and ended chugging up another big hill - naturally! (The truck and I had seen enough hills for the day, thank-you.) What does any good Canadian do when lost? Look for the closest Tim Hortons. The guy at Timmies was very friendly and gave good directions. I figured the least I could do was buy a cup of coffee

Traffic on the Trans-Canada was fairly heavy, which surprised me (now that the summer-school break was over). About an hour or so after leaving Kamloops, I'm into the pretty Shuswap Area. Lake country. Feeling a bit peckish, I decide to stop at Salmon Arm for a take-out lunch and come across the Mall at Piccadilly. http://www.piccadillymall.com/

Driving into the mall parking lot, I was met with kin! Fellow RVers parked under the shade trees at the far-end of the lot. The mall also offers a complimentary sani-dump. They are obviously very RV friendly. I asked another RVer if the mall had any qualms about overnights. He said they stay there all the time and have never been asked to leave. (Makes sense, otherwise why would they install a sani-dump)? I was grateful for this option (on future trips - I had already booked my first night's stay in Revelstoke) so, decided to show my gratitude by buying lunch (and some extra groceries) at the mall's Save-On Foods.

Carrying on to Revelstoke, the drive was fairly easy. Revelstoke is a pretty mountain town with a rich history of railroads and mining. Revelstoke Mountain is a popular ski resort. I had planned on stopping to check-out Revelstoke's quaint Main Street, but it was too late. They were closed for the day.

So, with some regret, I had to proceed to my booked campsite at
Canyon Hot Springs Resort, located 35 miles east of Revelstoke.
http://www.canyonhotsprings.com/

Why did I choose this resort? Because it's there. I had done some research; the RV sites around Revelstoke are few and far between, and many shut-down the first week in September. My main criteria is a drive-thru site, and they had plenty of those. Lots of grass, trees, and a mountain view to make it pleasant enough. There is no sewer hook-up - only electrical and water, but I was only staying the night. However, many of the reviewers on Trip Advisor were miffed by the resort's business practices. The swimming pool looked inviting, but I was also turned-off by the useage charge. ($3/person). They charge for pets, showers, pool and hot-spring access - basically everything. I know many seasonal RV parks have to make hay while da sun shines, but there is a fine line between running a business and a money grab.

And then there are the trains. I hadn't been parked long and the first one whizzed by....and then the next....and then another one.

"That's the 7th one since we've been here" yelled the guy beside me.

"How long have you been here?" I asked?

"About two hours" was the reply.

ha! ha! Their website does not mention the fact that the park backs up onto the Canadian National mainline. Oh well. I was tired enough to sleep through anything....and I did.

The morning dawned bright and sunny (and they weren't charging extra for that) so grabbed my coffee and sat outside the FaN a bit. The train counter beside me was getting his rig ready for the road.

"Damn trains every hour on the hour!" he boomed before roaring off.

I waved and thought "Good-bye Ricky" because it reminded me of that classic "First Stop" I Love Lucy episode where the Ricardos and Mertzes were enroute to California and spent their first night in motel a bit too close to the tracks....
Old 09-23-2013, 02:44 PM   #484
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
You write wonderful posts, Carla. Can't wait for Ban-ff-ff-ff!
Old 09-23-2013, 08:31 PM   #485
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
We've been so close to a railroad at a motel that the building shook every time a train went by and there were lots of them, so I know of what you speak. We've been close at RV CG's too, and slept through the whole night without hearing them—and the trailer didn't shake. Wish we were traveling the TCH too—trees should be changing about now. That's beautiful country you are in and reading about it brings back good memories. Keep it up.

Gene
Old 09-23-2013, 10:38 PM   #486
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Thanks, all.

Gene, when transversing the narrow mountain corridors of B.C., (or anywhere else for that matter) the railroads, highways, motels, and RV parks will invariably be squeezed into the same corridor.

Glad the trains didn't disrupt your sleep either.
Old 09-24-2013, 11:10 AM   #487
Rivet Master

2014 30' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
We had a track behind the trailer park with fairly light traffic. One night it sounded like the usual train was early. After the tornado turned over several nearby units and lifted ours a bit, we did not sleep well the rest of the night.....

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 01:09 PM   #488
2 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 26
St David , Arizona
I just spent the last 3 hours reading this thread. It is truly the exact life I wish to lead.

My new home is my 1973 Argosy 26. My new truck is my 1997 Ford F250 7.3L diesel.

I am thinking of starting my own thread as I venture out.

"Living life 6 days at a time"

I work as a paramedic and every ten days I get 6 days off in a row that I plan to use to the fullest.

Thank you for your wonderful blog.

Michael
Old 09-26-2013, 03:02 PM   #489
Rivet Master

1990 25' Excella
Sisters , Oregon
Don't want to miss any of this. Official bona fide lurker.

Poppy
Old 09-26-2013, 03:14 PM   #490
2 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 26
St David , Arizona
Wow, birdmaestro. I posted one thing and I am a lurker? Really nice welcome to the forums for me. I truly appreciate nice people like you who always have something nice to say.

I was told over and over that I has joined an elite club when I bought my argosy. I read and read this forum and learned what upgrades to do. Then I added solar. I sold my jeep and purchased a truck to tow my trailer.

I see you have only been here since July.

You have no honor.

Thank you again.