Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 08:16 PM   #301
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Louis: Vampires pretending to be humans, pretending to be vampires.
Claudia: How avant-garde.
Old 06-26-2013, 08:21 PM   #302
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Ready to Eat Up the Road Tomorrow - Yay!

The FaN is hitched, the Froot Loops and pasta are in the pantry.....

.......boy, do I ever need to get away!

Old 06-26-2013, 10:39 PM   #303
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Olympia , Washington
Hand flying, indeed!

2014 Ram 2500 CTD
Pro Pride
Centramatics
Old 07-02-2013, 05:06 PM   #304
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveswenson View Post
Hand flying, indeed!
Dave S., as any thrifty cook knows, steak is expensive -
spaghetti is expansive.

Just returned from the road. I'm calling this one the "Five Dollars and Cold Water" trip.

Am unloading a few pictures now.....
Old 07-02-2013, 05:56 PM   #305
JDS
2014 Bowlus Road Chief

Cumming , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly at Night View Post
The FaN is hitched, the Froot Loops and pasta are in the pantry.....

.......boy, do I ever need to get away!

Dear FaN,

The girl second from the right appears to have a waterfall of pasta either going into or coming out of her mouth. Is she OK by now?

I remain your concerned correspondent,
John S.
Old 07-02-2013, 07:27 PM   #306
4 Rivet Member

1997 25' Safari
Yakima , Washington
Dear FaN,

The girl second from the right appears to have a waterfall of pasta either going into or coming out of her mouth. Is she OK by now?

John S.

John, there was money bet that you wouldn't notice the pasta

1997 25' Safari
2012 Chevy Silverado HD 2500
Duramax/Allison
Old 07-02-2013, 08:33 PM   #307
JDS
2014 Bowlus Road Chief

Cumming , Iowa
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirigible25 View Post
Dear FaN,

John S.

John, there was money bet that you wouldn't notice the pasta
I hope no one is out anything of significance! (Let's just say that the pasta came in second in that picture).

John S.
Old 07-02-2013, 09:34 PM   #308
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDS View Post
Dear FaN,

John S.
JD, your concern is admirable, but not to worry. This was only the qualifying round. "The girl" was "okay." She even managed to suck, slurp, and slop her way into 4th place.

The championship round was really something, though.....

Old 07-02-2013, 09:53 PM   #309
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Oakley , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
Sooner or later every discussion seems to get to zombies and vampires.

Why aren't we concerned about werewolves?

None of the above need passports to cross the border.

Gene
Gene,

I just spent the night in Forks, WA on the Olympic peninsula, famed Twilight Saga authors location. There...vampires and wherewolves have been officially introduced into the conversation and will receive their just do.

Matt
Old 07-03-2013, 10:34 AM   #310
JDS
2014 Bowlus Road Chief

Cumming , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly at Night View Post
JD, your concern is admirable, but not to worry. This was only the qualifying round. "The girl" was "okay." She even managed to suck, slurp, and slop her way into 4th place.

The championship round was really something, though.....

Well FaN, I am now confused. The qualifying round appeared to allow no eating utensils but the championship round clearly shows chopsticks being used, also mixing nationalities with Chinese tools being used for an Italian dish. You're not the only one feeling "light headed" these days!

John S.
Old 07-03-2013, 03:34 PM   #311
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrunes View Post
Gene,

I just spent the night in Forks, WA on the Olympic peninsula, famed Twilight Saga authors location. There...vampires and wherewolves have been officially introduced into the conversation and will receive their just do.

Matt
Did you stay at the campground on the ocean in the Indian reservation?

Gene

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Old 07-03-2013, 04:32 PM   #312
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Oakley , California
Gene,
No. We rolled in too late (3am) and grabbed a room at a local notell. Pretty seedy and smelled of curry. Hahaha. I did see that campground on the rez. though...nice! Went to see the banana slugs and possibly a chance sighting of sasquach at the rainforest walk. Hey, there...now we have vampires, wherewolves and sasquach!
Matt
Old 07-14-2013, 09:08 PM   #313
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Memo to self: Before embarking upon the next trip, remember to check the propane tank and wallet, i.e. both should be full.

So, I arrived at my Sunshine Valley RV Resort without any propane and five bucks to my name. Oh well. Cash, plastic, and hot water on tap are for wusses. I will not resort to those credit cards, and will make do with the electric kettle to do the dishes, wash my hands, and have my bath with this trusty metal bucket and sponge.....

This is the third forray to the Sunshine Valley Resort. Why? Because of those three magic words: Drive-thru sites.

I also am fond of the resort because of those alluring mountain vistas from every window......

The park looks a little empty here; that changed quickly. I arrived on the Thursday before the Canada Day long weekend. The hoardes hadn't arrived yet.....

I decided to get into the spirit of Canada Day weekend and deck-out the FaN.....

Manning Park is a leisurely 25 minutes away. We headed there Friday afternoon. The Manning Park lodge attracts these ground squirrels who mouch around the picnic area......

Friday night back at the site. When I'm on the road I like to watch those ark movies. About Schmidt is one of my favourites. There were hardly any mosquitoes either which was a nice plus.....

By Saturday, the masses had rolled in and the weather turned considerably warmer. Lots of people and rigs to gawk at now. It inspires the muse.....
Two waifs wrapped in a beach towl scurry back from the pool, wafting chlorine.....
A chocolate lab named Hershey lopes by trailing its lead.....
The metallic eruption of another beer can.....
The verdant green outline of the mountain reminds me of a woman laying on her back. Swollen breasts....a long waist.....the softly rounded bulge of her tummy....
So much for that. It will never win a Pulitzer.

The park added some extra touches for the long weekend like a DJ hosted pool party. I was tempted to join in, but when the pool looked like this.....

I was reminded of this. Is that PH or Pee-H?.....

So, the sponge and water bucket cooling option prevailed.....

On Saturday night the park hosted an open-air movie, Finding Nemo....

But I was tired, so decided to find my bed instead.

On Canada Day we headed to Hope and stumbled into this vintage car rally....

By Tuesday, I was admittedly getting a little bored, so did what a lot of women do when they are bored - decided to redecorate. I can't pass a thrift store without stopping. I like anything related to retro pop culture. Whenever I find something, I throw it into the plastic tote under the FaN bed.

I hauled out my tote and decided to create my little pop-culture vignette on that little shelf above the dinette....

I was glad I chose this weekend of hot weather because it gave me a chance to see how the trailer performed in the heat. It was 38C or 100.4 F on Canada Day. The trailer was tolerable if I kept the air conditioner at about 73F. If I set it at max coolness with the fan on high, it couldn't keep up, and would shut itself down to a dribble. The fridge temp. also creeped up to 45F. Food should be kept at 40F or below, so I was continuously moving any perishables to the freezer which worked really well, just to chill them well, then would move them back to the fridge.

But I had lots of non-perishables in the pantry - especially seaweed. I like to experiment with different ingredients. Tried making a seaweed salad. Being this far inland, I figured the extra iodine would be healthy.....

Will I make it again?
Probably not.

Other than the heat issues, the trailer performed well and I enjoyed my get-a-way.

I am planning another small trip in a couple of weeks, but the big Breakfast Show will be in September. I am heading east.

Snap! Crackle! Pop!
Old 07-14-2013, 09:38 PM   #314
4 Rivet Member

1997 25' Safari
Yakima , Washington
The woody station wagon you decorated with tied in nicely with the car show you ran across. Of course, looking at my avatar you wouldn't be surprised at my focus, although there were elements of your musings that got my attention as well.

We are in Coeur d' Alene, Idaho at an RV park along the river. Heading through Montana, with another stop before getting to Yellowstone on Tuesday. Slow leisurely trip. Saw 9 Airstreams today, not counting the several dozen at Airstream of Spokane that we saw as we drove by the dealership which is located along side of the freeway.

Enjoy your trip (and your sponge baths) remember we all like pictures of what people see and do on their trips.

1997 25' Safari
2012 Chevy Silverado HD 2500
Duramax/Allison
Old 07-15-2013, 10:45 AM   #315
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
You got pretty far on $5!

Gene

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Old 07-15-2013, 11:24 AM   #316
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirigible25 View Post
The woody station wagon you decorated with tied in nicely with the car show you ran across. Of course, looking at my avatar you wouldn't be surprised at my focus, although there were elements of your musings that got my attention as well.

We are in Coeur d' Alene, Idaho at an RV park along the river. Heading through Montana, with another stop before getting to Yellowstone on Tuesday. Slow leisurely trip. Saw 9 Airstreams today, not counting the several dozen at Airstream of Spokane that we saw as we drove by the dealership which is located along side of the freeway.

Enjoy your trip (and your sponge baths) remember we all like pictures of what people see and do on their trips.
Hi Dennis, oooooh, nine Airstreams. I did not see one. Sunshine Valley is ATV central - attracts a lot of rednecks with their fifth-wheel toy haulers.

Idaho/Montana is on my bucket list.

Speaking of buckets, the sponge baths were okay. When you're hot, water in any way, shape or form feels good.

Happy, safe 'steamin' to you too.
Old 07-15-2013, 11:36 AM   #317
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
You got pretty far on $5!

Gene
Hi Gene!
lol! Like those backpackin' books in the early 70s -
Airstreaming on $5 a Day.

It can be done......if you don't run away from Blob salads.....

Old 07-16-2013, 11:16 AM   #318
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Wow! Since posting that clip from "The Blob," I have discovered that the original Colonial Theatre still stands in Phoenixville, PA. Kudos to them for preserving this monument from a cult-film classic.

The town also celebrates a "Blobfest" every year, featuring a re-creation of the theatre run out.

What a riot!

Airstreams go well with this kind of retro funk. Would be a fun place for a mini rally. I'll contribute the Blob salads!

Blobfest 2013: The Blob and Them! | The Colonial Theatre
Old 07-17-2013, 03:20 PM   #319
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
On the Driveway #9 - Colville's Legacy of Surreal Realism

I often wonder what I will leave as a "legacy" (besides an aged Airstream with a soft floor - ha!)

But oh, to have the skill of a painter.

One of my favourite artists passed yesterday - Alex Colville.

Colville was Canadian, and one of the most revered painters in North America.

The titles of Colville's works are deceptively mundane: Hound in Field; Horse and Train; Cow in Field; Man on Verandah, and Family in Rainstorm, to name a few. At first glance they may appear somewhat ordinary.

And then the ordinary transforms into something unsettling, even dark. The realism becomes surreal: "The tranquil scenes are deceptive, because something about the relationship between figures or the nature of the landscape will convey loneliness, isolation, parting, work, leisure, estrangement, love." - CBC news

That is the essence of Colville's genius.

The agony of this artifice was honed during WW2 when Colville was commissioned as one of Canada's official war artists. As Colville later observed, "I see life as inherently dangerous. I have an essentially dark view of the world and human affairs. Anxiety is the normality of our age."

You will also see many animals in Colville's work. He had a rapport with animals. Something he did not share with people.

Colville would have probably enjoyed being a solo Streamer. That road would have cut right into his metaphorical landscape.

Old 07-17-2013, 08:37 PM   #320
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Thank you for that. We lost one of the very best yesterday. Jim