Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-05-2013, 04:18 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Currently Looking...
kirkland , Washington
Weekenders Airstreaming within 2-3 hrs from Seattle

We really like to occasionally go out with our Serenity from on weekends so we really can't travel very far. Does anyone know of any RV campsites that are beautiful, quiet, aesthetically beautiful for photography, walks and inspiration.

So far, all we've found was the coast of Oregon near Cannon Beach, but thats too far for weekenders. We'd prefer something within 2-3 hours from Seattle.

Its just my husband and I, as well as our little Yorkie. Any suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1037.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	293.9 KB
ID:	180278  
adiben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 04:46 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Everett , Washington
We have gone to many of the state parks north of Seattle. There are several on Whidbey island, and several all the way up to Blaine. We have enjoyed all of them, and they can be reserved. Check out: State Parks Reservations
They do fill up early, so you should start making reservations now. They do a good job describing the parks, as well as the quality of each site.
We've gone to (in our 20fter) Rasar, Deception Pass (multiple), Fort Ebey (multiple), Fort Flagler, Larrabee, Wallace Falls, and Birch Bay, just to name a few. Birch bay is really packed together with little privacy IIRC, but we stayed there and drove up to Canada. :-) When we stay at Fort Ebey, we often go to Orcas island.

Of course, you can't go wrong on the Olympic peninsula, especially off-season. Many sites are first come first serve, which make it difficult for RVs in peak seasons.

We have never stayed at RV parks, so I can't help you there. That is not our style.

Aaron
Old 03-05-2013, 05:19 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Mercer Island , Washington
+1 on 62 SS suggestions.

Also try Salmon la Sac, no hookups - but paved and private. Lodgepole (Chinook pass) is spectacular, but still probably snowed in. Hiking around Mt. Rainer is not to be missed. We've also been to Ike Kinswa (near st. Helens), liked that. Cape Disappointment near Illwaco is nice too.
btowntincan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:07 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
kirkland , Washington
Aaron, thanks for all your info. RV parks arent our style either. As new AS-ers we're not sure where we can safely camp, where/how to dump our stuff. You wrote some places in your response. I assume they are NOT RV parks? Personally I'd love to be quiet, away from routy vacationers. Its just hubby, yorkie and I.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:26 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
If you have an ipad get the app "all stays camp and rv" for $5. Best money you will ever spend. It has the public places, the National Forest places, the State and National parks etc. What I really like is the phone numbers you can call to be sure they are open and how busy they might be.

Stay along the Hood canal, or up Port Townsen (sp) area. Even the State Parks along the sound north of Tacoma are great. And if you can go farther, go out to the Olympic Peninsula, especially Kalaloch, and the Ho rain forest.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 12:49 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2018 26' Flying Cloud
Hot Springs , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by adiben View Post
We really like to occasionally go out with our Serenity from on weekends so we really can't travel very far. Does anyone know of any RV campsites that are beautiful, quiet, aesthetically beautiful for photography, walks and inspiration.

So far, all we've found was the coast of Oregon near Cannon Beach, but thats too far for weekenders. We'd prefer something within 2-3 hours from Seattle.

Its just my husband and I, as well as our little Yorkie. Any suggestions?
Food for thought!

http://thesmallsmalltrailer.wordpres...-cape-kiwanda/
ljsigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:36 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Everett , Washington
Quote:
Aaron, thanks for all your info. RV parks arent our style either. As new AS-ers we're not sure where we can safely camp, where/how to dump our stuff. You wrote some places in your response. I assume they are NOT RV parks? Personally I'd love to be quiet, away from routy vacationers. Its just hubby, yorkie and I.
No, Those are all Wa State Park campgrounds. They all have hookups, and dump sites. During peak season they will be full of other campers (tents and trailers) but I have never had a bad experience in one. Most have plenty of trees between you and the other sites.

I would suggest a day trip to several without the trailer just to get the feel for them. Something like this would be a long day, but it is a nice drive: Google Round Trip

We've done this trip many times as a one-day and as a multi-day camping trip in the trailer to a couple of parks.

One thing I didn't mention is that many of the parks have drive though RV sites where you don't have to back in if you don't want.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:10 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
kirkland , Washington
idroba, dont have an ipad but i have an iphone.
Looked up all stays camp and RV and its not $5, its $9.99. Is that the one?

Is anyone going to the alumafandango in August? We just signed up.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:09 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 27' Classic FB
Ridgefield , Washington
Try Kalaloch in the Olympia National Park. (south of Forks) Sunset magazine did a review on the campground a few years back. Spectacular scenery. Very isolated area. May want to look around Crescent Lake as well.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:18 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Quote:
idroba, dont have an ipad but i have an iphone.
Looked up all stays camp and RV and its not $5, its $9.99. Is that the one?
Yes, that is the one. When I got it it was $5, but I guess they have found that people will pay more. Trust me, at $10 it is still worth it.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 03:51 PM   #11
Airstream fanatic

1979 31' Sovereign
Bouse , Arizona
I love the campground called Mora up near LA Push. I also like Ocean Shores and Cape Disappointment is gorgeous! Good luck and let us know where you go

1979 Sovereign International (Olivia)
1986 F-250 4X4 (Oscar)
BLOG: https://grapesbigadventure.wordpress.com.
Grapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 05:19 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2012 27' Flying Cloud
Kirkland , Washington
Fort Flagler is one of our favorite state park for spring getaways. Ferry ride and 1 hour drive. It's quiet, has tons of easy trails with bunkers to poke around in. 20 minute drive to Port Townsend. It's not too bad but kinda a zoo in the summer, so we only camp there in spring and fall when they are first come/first serve.
AlumFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:59 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

2013 16' Sport
Bremerton , Washington
Port Townsend is a must. If you stay at the edge of town, it is called Port Hudson Marina, it is an RV park and marina, and has the best camping spots I have ever seen. You can wake up, open up the shades and BAM, water and a view of Whidbey Island. It is a full hook up site with wifi and cable. AND, you can walk into town, get dinner, have a nice beer, shop, and walk back to your camper.

If you have ever seen An Officer and a Gentleman, then you have seen Fort Wordon. It is a state campground. You have 2 options, the upper campsite area has water and sewer, so you will have to dump your waste on your way out of town. The lower camp area is on the beach, and are full hook up sites. If you want to go, you better call them tomorrow, they do fill up quick. Staying here, you will have to drive into town because it is a bit of a walk.
Every morning, you take your dog and walk along the beach, very serene.

We live in Kitsap county, and Fort Worden is are favorite campsite. You can't go wrong. Our routine is to call stop at this BBQ, pick up dinner, with extra sides, eat dinner, watch a movie and relax.

Ft. Worden State Park Home Page

Port of Port Townsend, Washington
Pricilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:04 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

2013 16' Sport
Bremerton , Washington
Also, if you are wanting to camp at State Campgrounds, start here. You can view and reserve from the website.

Washington State Parks Home Page
Pricilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:07 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Van Wert , Ohio
Gosh, you guys have me ready to pack and head onout from Ohio, I realize it's a bit more than two hours, but it sounds like fun, fun, fun....
hissilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:55 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2003 28' Classic
1981 28' Airstream 280
Olympia , Washington
Send a message via Yahoo to BusDriver
All the state parks are great Each one is special and hard to choose a favorite. For commercial parks I really like Rest-A-While RV Park in Hoodsport, quiet and on the water.
Check out our Travel Blog
buddytravels.blogspot.com Streamin with Joe and Buddy
BusDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 05:29 PM   #17
2012 dodge 4x4 diesel

1975 Argosy 22
Truckee , California
lots of good hiking (to little lakes) if you base out of Salmon La Sac, I used to love going there. and its fun going in to Roslyn to the Brick, if thats still there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by btowntincan View Post
+1 on 62 SS suggestions.

Also try Salmon la Sac, no hookups - but paved and private. Lodgepole (Chinook pass) is spectacular, but still probably snowed in. Hiking around Mt. Rainer is not to be missed. We've also been to Ike Kinswa (near st. Helens), liked that. Cape Disappointment near Illwaco is nice too.
gypsybanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:45 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
kirkland , Washington
Thanks for all your replies. I have bookmarked all the places you suggested.

Hubby and I are kid free, never had any and are attempting to find adult only RV sites. We like to read, paint, drink wine, make a fire, talk and relax.
We find it a challenge when rigs pull in next to us with families.

Any suggestions?
Old 03-27-2013, 09:40 AM   #19
2012 dodge 4x4 diesel

1975 Argosy 22
Truckee , California
Yes, make the most of it. If they're there first, you can tell by little bikes and stuff. But nothing you can do if they come in after. Instead I would suggest the mindset of, how great it is that those children get to experience the freedom of the open road and seeing places. They are lucky kiddos. If they are loud in the morning or late night, just turn on your fan and it'll drown out most sounds...

Quote:
Thanks for all your replies. I have bookmarked all the places you suggested.

Hubby and I are kid free, never had any and are attempting to find adult only RV sites. We like to read, paint, drink wine, make a fire, talk and relax.
We find it a challenge when rigs pull in next to us with families.

Any suggestions?
gypsybanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:45 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Mercer Island , Washington
Quote:
lots of good hiking (to little lakes) if you base out of Salmon La Sac, I used to love going there. and its fun going in to Roslyn to the Brick, if thats still there.
The Brick is still there. Ask me how I know (spoiler alert: I can't exactly remember).
btowntincan is offline   Reply With Quote