Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-31-2017, 09:47 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Weather watchers

For those of you who like to keep up with tropical weather in the south east, I just awoke to learn there's a tropical storm just south of me. So far, a little rain and maybe 15 mph winds here.

But it reminded me of my "go to" tropical weather site

http://spaghettimodels.com

Mike's Weather page.
It's a page full of thumbnails, and clicking on each brings that section up. There's so much information, if it's not there, you don't need it.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 02:36 PM   #2
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Awesome site, MD. Looks like there's room to squeeze in a couple of more charts, but he hasn't thought of a metric to use yet.

Thanks - Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 03:01 PM   #3
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
I go here (http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/) for the official word from the National Hurricane Center.

Living on the Gulf Coast, I find local coverage of storms headed our way to be skewed in the "Oh my God, we're all going to die!" direction. No matter how strong or weak the storm is. Partly because news media doesn't exist to inform the public, it exists to sell advertising, and nothing makes advertising dollars go farther than an imminent disaster, so stay tuned to this station for the latest.

I don't know about other hurricane-prone areas, but when we look at spaghetti models for storms headed our way, there is usually one model hidden amongst the others that shows the storm will take an absolutely straight course for New Orleans. The purpose of this "model" is to skew the average results toward New Orleans. But if you look at national rather than local news, that straight-line projection isn't ever there.
Old 08-01-2017, 07:10 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Great resource -- thanks!

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 08:18 PM   #5
diesel maniac

Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
That's a great page, Thanks. We've been getting our share of flooding here in the Western deserts. You probably saw on the news the whole family that was lost in a flash flood.
ITSNO60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 09:12 PM   #6
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Nothing gets my attention quite as fast as a storm that goes round and round. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 09:24 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
I go here (http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/) for the official word from the National Hurricane Center.

Living on the Gulf Coast, I find local coverage of storms headed our way to be skewed in the "Oh my God, we're all going to die!" direction. No matter how strong or weak the storm is. Partly because news mediation doesn't exist to inform the public, it exists to sell advertising, and nothing makes advertising dollars go farther than an imminent disaster, so stay tuned to this station for the latest.

I don't know about other hurricane-prone areas, but when we look at spaghetti models for storms headed our way, there is usually one model hidden amongst the others that shows the storm will take an absolutely straight course for New Orleans. The purpose of this "model" is to skew the average results toward New Orleans. But if you look at national rather than local news, that straight-line projection isn't ever there.
One year the Orlando stations just got silly with trying to hype up the storms. One newscaster said "Some people are leaving in droves". Another was standing on the beach at Port Canaveral where there were people enjoying the day with 1-2" waves lapping at the sand. He talked about how the storm was "crashing ashore."

NHC is the best source, even if one day they say storm formation is not expected for the next 48 hours and we wake up the.next morning to TS Emily.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 09:37 PM   #8
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al and Missy View Post
One newscaster said "Some people are leaving in droves".
How many people does it take to make a "drove" I wonder?
Old 08-02-2017, 04:12 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Not sure, but FYI TS Emily just "drove" off and is no longer a threat to the east coast.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote