Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

View Poll Results: If the RV park required that they park your rig, would you:
Happily allow it 10 6.58%
Grudgingly allow it, with reservations 14 9.21%
Not allow it, and park yourself 57 37.50%
Not allow it, and find somewhere else to camp 71 46.71%
Voters: 152. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-12-2009, 02:14 AM   #81
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
this came up on a search:
RV & Camper Backup Parking Sensor Kits

RV & Camper Backup Parking Sensor Kits
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 04:48 AM   #82
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I let them guide me (or so they think), but do it pretty much like I always do, slowly, watching everything and getting out to look where I am when necessary. I do the same thing when Barb is guiding me since I am ultimately responsible when I'm behind the wheel (not a legal analysis). As it's the end of the day and I am tired, help is nice, but it's me doing the backing.

I once drove a Toyota Sequoia through a redwood tree in Cal. Lots of people watching and the hole in the tree was not straight. Later I saw some slight scratch marks on the roof rack and a right side door handle. Not sure how I did it. It was Barb's idea, but she didn't offer to drive. At least I was off the hook if I did worse.

Lynn guided me at his CG, and kept telling me to turn my wheel as if I had my hand on the top of the wheel and I had it on the bottom. I finally figured out what was happening. I have a lot more faith in him than I do with some of the people on the golf cart.

Now if someone wanted to drive my TV, no.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 05:47 PM   #83
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
I know this thread is two years old, but I'm pretty sure no one would ever WANT to park my rig...

"Mind the cat. Please don't let him out of the camper. I know he's climbing on your lap and rubbing against your face, but please pay attention to driving. Yeah, he's pretty cute. Oh, you're allergic to cats? Too bad."

"Oh, yeah, the gear selector is a bit off."

"Yeah, sometimes the brake light doesn't come on even though I always set the parking brake when I get out."

"Okay, go ahead and push the dolly into the site by hand before you put the camper in. The dolly weighs 581 lbs. And don't even think about trying to back the dolly with the camper."

"Here, help me level the camper. Since your site is off-level in two directions, and the camper doesn't have jacks, it'll take us about 4 tries to get it level in both directions while we put blocks under each wheel. Yeah, it's a pain in the ass, but it wouldn't be a problem at all if your site was level."

I think, after dealing with me and my rig, they would cancel that policy. Not that I'd know, because I'd never be back. I don't mind that they will do it if asked (or even if they offer), but mandatory? No. And I can't believe their insurance thinks it's a good idea.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 08:20 PM   #84
4 Rivet Member

1977 25' Tradewind
Waskesiu Lake , Saskatchewan
I suspect this "policy" is not there to insult the competent Airstream tow guru's, but rather to weed out the insane monster 5th wheel puller's who have no concept of what's behind them. I would rather let them park my AS safely than have some bumble butt RV'er dent my AS with their incompetent parking.

I totally believe Airstreamer's are typically the MOST competent RV'ers out there.

I work in a Canadian National Park and I have seen many others competing for the worst... I once overheard a woman directing her husband... "keep coming...keep coming...keep coming...." <CRUNCH> "STOP, STOP, you went too far!".

1977 25' Tradewind (with two ... three... FOUR dogs)
2011 Ram 1500 Quad cab, 5.7 Hemi, tow pkg.
kevin242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 09:20 PM   #85
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin242 View Post
... I work in a Canadian National Park and I have seen many others competing for the worst... I once overheard a woman directing her husband... "keep coming...keep coming...keep coming...." <CRUNCH> "STOP, STOP, you went too far!".
Yes, part of that crunch is rig, and the other part is the park's facilities. That's exactly why we instituted assisted parking. Put simply, it's assistance to the parker plus a good dose of enlightened self-interest.

Doing this, I've developed a feel for ease with which people can back various rigs into sites. On a scale from 1 (difficult) to 10 (a snap), it goes kind of like this:

Motorhomes and pickup campers: 10
Travel trailers: 8-9
Pop-ups: 7-8 (surprisingly tricky little snots)
Fifth-wheels: 2-3

Lynn
Old 11-13-2009, 01:55 AM   #86
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
I let them guide me (or so they think), but do it pretty much like I always do, slowly, watching everything and getting out to look where I am when necessary.
Gene
The only time I've come close to damaging the trailer backing into a site was when I trusted a camp employee to guide me in. He was only watching one side and by the time he told me to stop, the awning arm on the other side was up against the roof of a picnic shelter. If the trailer had been a few inches farther over there would have been a dent, if I'd gone back a few more inches the arm would have been torn off or broken. That was the first and last time I've trusted anyone other than my wife to direct me, although I'm starting to rely on my kids a bit too.
I use the "back-up-a-bit-and-get-out-for-a-look" method if it's dark or there are a lot of close obstacles.
I wouldn't trust anyone else to back up my trailer with my truck. I grew up on a farm and learned to reverse a tractor with a baler and wagon - sometimes two wagons. However if the space was tight and they were using a tractor I would probably allow it while I watched. On the other hand, as many have noted, I'm not really interested in staying in a place where the sites are so close together that space is that much of an issue.

1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper (65avion.home.blog)
DavidsonOverlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 05:26 AM   #87
4 Rivet Member

1948 22' Liner
1961 26' Overlander
1949 24' Limited
Springs , Pennsylvania
The only time I have allowed someone else to park my rig is when I arrive to an Airstream rally after a long drive and have trailered all by myself (without hubby)- then I gladly hand the job off to any one of the well experienced streamers already there. Of course if it's a pull through or I have the double axle I don't seem to have a problem- but that little single axle is hard to back up without it want to turn on you and quick!
Old 11-13-2009, 08:38 AM   #88
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Greeeneville , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
I encountered this when I had a "new-to-me" 2 year old trailer and I was at the first ever camp-out with it. The camp wanted me to unhook my Suburban and they would put the trailer on site with a tractor. My first thought was a strong NO. Their reason for parking it for me was to keep from tearing up their grass by making sharp turns. Well, their driver jacked my 34 footer so tight I thought the tires were going to leave the wheel, the grass, was damaged more that I would have ever done, and it was left sitting un-level. I had to hitch up AGAIN and level the trailer. Believe me, when I got hitched up I was VERY tempted to leave. MY thoughts today are I would leave the camp.
visit my restoration blog at:
Silverhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 04:42 PM   #89
4 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Dayton , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Alwhisman
....not gonna happen here! Where is the CG?

Al
Alwhisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 05:07 PM   #90
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
Currently Looking...
JOY IN , Arizona
Ok ,but they have to let me camp free. lol
wbcci ,#3510 NEU & 4cu https://fire1.smugmug.com
firedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 06:07 PM   #91
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Allow someone to park my trailer. Not a chance.

The closest I have ever come was letting an employee at the alignment shop watch me back onto the shop and on the rack.

Note his attention to detail.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	130_3083.JPG
Views:	128
Size:	216.9 KB
ID:	90883  

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 06:34 PM   #92
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by eubank View Post
Doing this, I've developed a feel for ease with which people can back various rigs into sites. On a scale from 1 (difficult) to 10 (a snap), it goes kind of like this:

Motorhomes and pickup campers: 10
Travel trailers: 8-9
Pop-ups: 7-8 (surprisingly tricky little snots)
Fifth-wheels: 2-3
This is cracking me up. Thanks!

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 05:15 PM   #93
4 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
ARLINGTON , TEXAS
Send a message via Skype™ to WILDRTEXAS
nope..
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion...

Taylor 1/20/96 - 11/28/08

WILDRTEXAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 07:01 PM   #94
3 Rivet Member

1986 Argosy
Denver , Pennsylvania
Considering I drive T/T's for a living, I'd have big issues letting someone else park it for me. I'd let them watch, erm, guide me, but as stated before, I always get out and look where I am if I can't clearly see. Letting someone else park my stuff would take some real convincing, and I'd really have to WANT to be there for some reason.
Catman6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 08:02 PM   #95
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Irmo , South Carolina
I don't care how fancy the campground, how much insurance they have or how experienced the staff, they aren't touching my rig. If I can't do it myself, I'm not staying there.
AIR #8891
Unrestored 1969 25' Tradewind
Overkill Tow Vehicle of the Year Award:
2001 GMC 3500 4x4 Dually 6.6L Duramax
Journalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 10:14 PM   #96
1 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
Newberry Springs , California
Heck no!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Journalist View Post
I don't care how fancy the campground, how much insurance they have or how experienced the staff, they aren't touching my rig. If I can't do it myself, I'm not staying there.
My sentiment exactly... I worked 17 years in the freight industry, most of which as a yard hostler. During my tenure, I backed up trailers, of all lengths, at least 30,000 times. With that said, I wonder who is more qualified to park my rig.
edc4080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 09:24 AM   #97
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
edc
I did the same thing(yard jockey) for 7 yrs before I retired ,45 yrs total. If I cant back it. ILL SELL IT. Cause when I cant do it anymore Im to old to be towing anyway.
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 09:39 AM   #98
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
You know, for some reason The post relating to my actual experience that caused this thread to be started never made it into this thread. oops.
Here is a link to the post, for anybody that didn't catch it when it happened:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/427379-post155.html
Old 11-21-2009, 11:31 AM   #99
4 Rivet Member

1985 34' Limited
1960 24' Tradewind
Summerville , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Journalist View Post
Ditto that.You expect me to drive a 1,000 miles dodging potholes, horribly careless drivers, and overloaded semis and then give an hourly campground employee the opportunity of easing my unit into a pine tree in the last 50 feet of the trip? Not gonna happen.