Not allow it, and find somewhere else to camp 71 46.71%
Voters: 152. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-11-2007, 11:11 AM   #43
Razorback

2005 30' Classic
Springdale , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by rideair
I've stayed at the "Red Coconut" and at first to thought it was strange. But, I understand and fully "agree" with what they did. They make you un-hitch the trailer from the tow rig, from there, they bring in a "short-wheel-base" tractor and connect up, take you to the site and un-hitch. One must understand, at the "Red Coconut" they stack them like wood, there are many "very" tight turns and they run a "greater" if they allowed you to do it yourself. Many of the turns in that campground are so tight, most tow rigs "could not" make the turns with the trailer attached!! On the "beach" side of the campground it's not that tight, but you have sand(hench needing a tractor) which people get stuck. I guess in the end, you don't have to stay, but you're missing out if you choose to do so!
We passed on the Red Coconut and stayed about a mile north of the beach at a very clean and accomodating RV park. Plenty of room and a 4 minute drive to the beach. When we saw the SOB's parked in the Coconut like sardines in a can, we passed. Had we inquired and been told it was mandatory to let them park "Twinkie II" we would have (after a hysterical laugh ) left and been thankful that we didn't park that close to the salt.

The only time we have let anyone pull our AS was at JC when the man on the John Deere tractor picked it up in our space and took it to the shop. But I assumed he knew what he was doing and if not, they would know how to fix it.

Sid and Becky
2005 Classic 30 "Twinkie II"
Hensley Arrow
2008 Bighorn 4X4 Dodge 2500 Cummins
WBCCI Member At Large #2786

Life is not a dress rehearsal, live your dreams!
razorback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 11:24 AM   #44
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
The one time we've had someone pull us to a site was this summer at an rv park we've stayed at before, but that had changed hands and policies. Not only did he pull us to a different site than the one I understood we would have, but he also sited it differently than I wanted. When I tried to discuss this with him, he was somewhere between indifferent and arrogant. Sadly, we'll not stay in this place again though we had pleasant memories of previous visits. I'll pass on having someone park us in the future. ~G

Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 11:46 AM   #45

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I guess we've never been to a park that fancy! I would have to say no. My husband backs it up, and I guide him, and that's because I'm the one most concerned about making sure the trailer gets into it's spot safely. I guess if someone else insisted, and the park was really special, I might let them, but I would be watching like a hawk and jump in and stop them if I wasn't comfortable. I guess I think of the Caravel like another pet - if I don't watch out for the little guy, who will?!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 12:19 PM   #46
Razorback

2005 30' Classic
Springdale , Arkansas
These posts remind me of when we were at the Lone Star RV park in Austin. They had a man in a golf cart direct us to our pull thru and watched while my wife directed me on the walkie talkie. When we were through and I got out to see how we set, we were about 6-8 inches off of being straight in the slot. The park employee said it was a good job of parking. When I told him I wanted to straighten it up a little, he remarked, "Oh yes, its an Airstream so it has to be in just perfect!" I just smiled and straightened it up. Becky and I both got a good chuckle out of it.

Sid and Becky
2005 Classic 30 "Twinkie II"
Hensley Arrow
2008 Bighorn 4X4 Dodge 2500 Cummins
WBCCI Member At Large #2786

Life is not a dress rehearsal, live your dreams!
razorback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 12:34 PM   #47
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
I must say that it would be a "depends" kind of situation.

We have a favorite private camp ground in Florida (bet'cha can't guess which one) that was built in the early '70's when most campers camped in tents or pop-ups so the roads are really narrow and the curves are sharp when you tow a 30 footer plus there are trees and other vegetation that weren't in certain spots 30+ years ago, too. So getting into some of the sites can be difficult and being a neophyte to backing such a long trailer with a crew cab truck makes it a real chore after driving seven to nine hours, don't ask. They offer to help guide you in when you check in if you need help, but have never offered to back it in for you that I recall. I don't know if their management would let any of them do that, but there are sites that have frustrated me enough that I might have been willing to hand over the keys to let someone else have all the fun ! But, on those occasions, I usually saw where I needed to be and how I should have lined up and just circled back and lined up again and made it...eventually. Of course, some of that vegetation that wasn't there 30 years ago and was there when I got there wound up not being there after I got into my site! I am proud to say that I am getting better. Especially when I'm not backing to the blind side. It really does make a difference when you can see down the side of the trailer.

I guess if it were a matter of the possibility of my damaging someone else's trailer, I might just let the campground have that responsibility, but it would have to be somewhere I really wanted to stay or I would really have to not be able to find another campground to stay in on short notice, i.e. Florida during high season.
WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 12:44 PM   #48
Rivet Master

Hey, if I have to let someone park my Airstream to see my 5 year old daughters feet step out of the trailer and onto the beach, fine by me.
Old 09-11-2007, 07:06 PM   #49
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Suburbia , Sunny So Cal
Quote:
Originally Posted by doorgunner
Sure you can park it--as he lets out a stink bomb and slides out of the seat.
Normally I would give you grief for this but in all honesty I'm just laughing too hard.

Karma just for being that slyly evil.

WBCCI 6731 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 07:11 PM   #50
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin camping
Normally I would give you grief for this but in all honesty I'm just laughing too hard.

Karma just for being that slyly evil.
...And I'm sure the tears in the parker's eyes are not tears of joy...
Old 09-12-2007, 12:46 AM   #51
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Liver and onions. One short trip around the campground will have that poor valet looking for either a new job, or telling folks something REAL bad died in your truck and you hadn't noticed. Next time you fly grab one of those air sickness bags and leave it on the seat beside you to set his expectations when he sees it.

The reason I know? Let's just leave it at the fact that my dearly loved and departed Mother In Law was famous for her liver and onions episodes.......and there was more than one.

Barry
Old 09-12-2007, 10:10 AM   #52
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate
I must say that it would be a "depends" kind of situation
I agree with Tom on this--it depends. If it was someone with more certifications and experience than I, and a tight place too, then I would most likely be the spotter for them. I've had some fun when parking in somewhat crowded campsites, to say a little loudly that I'm kind of new to this. People come from everywhere to offer help, and spot for you to protect their rigs. Works every time.

Where I keep our Airstream is a valet service. You unhitch in the yard and then they hitch-up to a tractor and move the trailer into the barn. They keep everything in there from Prevost motorhomes to jet skis on trailers, to antique cars. Their drivers are certified to drive big rigs, and so far there hasn't been any damage to anyone's rigs. I trust those guys (I'm using that generically here because one of those guys is a woman).

An elderly lady in my church until recently pulled a 34' Airstream all over the county solo, to meet her husband who was in the Merchant Marine. I watched her back that trailer up the length of a football field, straight as an arrow, do a 180 in a parking place, come back (in reverse) the length of the field, and back into a parking place hitting the marks the first time without any spotter. She can drive my truck and trailer any time.

The RV service center near us has certified driver/mechanics who hop in your truck and park them in some pretty tight places with great precision. I trust them too.

So I wouldn't flatly refuse anyone's offer to park us, but I'd check their credentials and be very watchful.

Randy
2014 27FB Flying Cloud - SilverCabin II
2006 Lincoln Mark LT - Hoke

A journey of a thousand miles, begins with a cash advance
SilverCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 08:56 PM   #53
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
I'm pleased when the "park" hops on the go-cart and guides me to the location. After that, I'd rather do it myself. I'd pass on anything mandatory. After all, by giving someone permission, liability becomes a grey area. I want the dents to be mine.
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 09:00 PM   #54
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDNAX
I'm pleased when the "park" hops on the go-cart and guides me to the location. ...
Wellllll, if you happen to come here, it ain't gonna be no go-cart! Visitors get to follow me on my bicycle! Me on the bicycle, and they with their rigs, that is.

Lynnnnnnnnnnnn
Old 09-16-2007, 09:42 PM   #55
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by eubank
Wellllll, if you happen to come here, it ain't gonna be no go-cart! Visitors get to follow me on my bicycle! Me on the bicycle, and they with their rigs, that is.

Lynnnnnnnnnnnn
C'mon, Lynn. It would be sadistically funny to watch some of the older RVers trying to pedal the bicycle after you... Especially uphill.
Old 09-17-2007, 12:14 AM   #56
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
colorado springs , Colorado
In confused.
Is that peddling a bicycle unhitched? Or hitched to the TT like the little French dude on the logo?