Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-10-2018, 01:47 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
A lucky day for you!
I had this happen going 70 mph in a little Honda Civic at night - could not avoid. That little car just seemed like it lauched from the deer body. Plenty hair and meat on the underside. Needed an alignment afterwards. I felt pretty lucky that the me and car survived. The deer not so much........
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 02:58 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Looking to buy my first Airstream, I visited the factory.... and there it was, a big pickup withi minimal damage, hitched to an Airstream. The deer had gone over the truck, through the stoneguards and windows, and had died on the owner's ultraleather couch. Major ickyness but no humans were injured.

Slow.down.
Expect the unexpected.
Believe all other drivers are drunk..
And all deer are suicidal.

Paula
Old 07-10-2018, 03:07 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
Looking to buy my first Airstream, I-------------------------------------snip-----------------------------
And all deer are suicidal.

Paula
Too true. Was driving our converted van up in the mountains touring the redwoods. Saw many dead deer by the side of the road. Wondered what was going on.

Asked about it at one of the campgrounds...they explained that something spooks the deer, it runs away blindly in the wrong direction, and tumbles over a cliff to its death. Sometimes they actually land on vehicles passing below-its quite the weird hazard in the mountainous areas that deer frequent...happens mostly in early evening.

We slowed down considerably during that time of day...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 03:08 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
. . .
Slow.down.
. . .
This is the one factor over which we have total control, but seldom the patience to invoke IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
. . .
. . . We slowed down considerably during that time of day...
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 03:39 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Huntsville , Alabama
2 years ago while dragging our new RPod back thru Kentucky from Cincinnati we saw that the interstates were horribly littered with hundreds of deer carcasses. It was like a deer slaughter zone for 200 miles or so. I honestly believe a deer carcass on the side of a road *should* have been on the reverse of the Kentucky state quarter.
Old 07-15-2018, 11:57 AM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2012 30' Classic
Wildwood , Missouri
How frightening for both you and your wife. Thank goodness you are ok.
kswelsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 12:20 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2012 31' Classic
Naples , Florida
I don’t think you were lucky, I think you were smart. Hopefully, in the same situation I’ll be smart too.
martian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 01:22 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
Geneva , Florida
If you ever have it happen again make sure you immediately pull over and if you have your propane on, turn it off! Then check all connections to make sure nothing got knocked loose.
Freebird73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 02:41 PM   #29

Currently Looking...
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overstreet View Post
My buddy Jack hit a deer carcus on I-24 in Kentucky. It got all over the underside of his F150. He went to a car wash, to a mechanic, and attempted to remove flesh/hair from everything under there.

Once back home, my dog Yani, wouldn't go near the truck. He'd get all nervous and walk way around the truck to get to the house.
I-24 thru southern Illinois and Kentucky is one of the worse highways for deer related accidents in the country. Being that neither state picks up these carcasses laying along the roads, it can be a visual nightmare while travelling thru them, especially during rut.
gfarmcafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 08:09 PM   #30
4 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
1993 25' Excella
Flagler Beach , Florida
hmmmmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebird73 View Post
If you ever have it happen again make sure you immediately pull over and if you have your propane on, turn it off! Then check all connections to make sure nothing got knocked loose.
happen again ????????? WOW
AFTER TAXES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 10:10 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
I was driving back to the Phoenix area from Santa Fe, NM about 9pm in the fall and the "Elk" warning lights were flashing. Suddenly saw the eyes from the headlights and hit the brakes. The herd members were about 20 feet away. At about 1,500 pounds each, our freezer could have been full for a long time. The Suburban would have been a lot shorter.

In the Southern Indiana hills, most folks have had at least one deer related motor vehicle incident. Going from Lordsburg East on I-10 in Texas towards San Antonio, the whole deer herd will move onto the highway. Adds to the stress of night motorcycle riding in that area.

Pre-visualization can save the day. The US Airways pilot that landed on the Hudson had thought about that bird strike situation more than once before every takeoff from that airport and was able to respond like it was a regular Sunday drive in the car.

Good results for the OP.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 06:40 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Wenatchee , Washington
I served as a State Trooper for 28+ years and had several close calls but I never hit a deer. I don’t even know another LEO that hasn’t hit a deer.

Anyway, I agree with the visualization and OODA Loop comments but one of the things I’ve tried to do is keep my eyes moving, especially at night.

I have gotten a little paranoid though as the law of averages catches up with everyone so I had a Herd bumper installed on the front of our Ram.
WBCCI #7180
21Airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 07:24 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
. . .

. . . The US Airways pilot that landed on the Hudson had thought about that bird strike situation more than once before every takeoff from that airport and was able to respond like it was a regular Sunday drive in the car.
. . .
Great example!

Amazing how a major catastrophe was averted by careful planning, experience and wisdom. OK, maybe a little luck too . .

Well done, Captain Sullenberger.

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote