Old 03-29-2008, 10:01 PM   #1
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Send a message via Yahoo to Boondocker
WBCCI Int rally impact on travel

I am starting to wonder what the impact of the WBCCI rally on travel in the Yellowstone region (say within 250 miles) will be. For example, will rally goers fill up camping locations in the area in the weeks before and after the rally?

I plan on being in the Wyoming, Montana, Idaho area around that time. As much as I love AS and airstreamers, I am starting to have concerns that crowding and congestion may be issues.

For those of you who have seen the impact of these rallies and noted the travel patterns of those who attend, are you willing to make any predictions about what to expect?

Visit my photography page
and the
Favorite camp grounds project map
My Blog

(The artist formerly known as General Disarray)

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 10:30 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
I don't know about the rally impact but summer in the parks is very congested with traffic lined up and campgrounds filled. We have always tried to travel in spring or fall to avoid the crowds of vacationers.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 10:50 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
If it's not Airstreamers, it'll be SOBs...summers are a 'full house' no matter what ~

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 10:52 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
WBCCI Int rally impact on travel

The last WBCCI International Rally in the Yellowstone region was 1998 when the Rally was in Boise, Idaho. I can't speak to the number of Airstreams traveling to Yellowstone before the Rally, but I spent a week in Yellowstone following the Rally and saw around a dozen Airstreams that had been at the Rally--one a classic Motorhome that had an encounter with a very large male bison (I suspect the bison saw his reflection in the coach). For that stay, I chose the West Yellowstone KOA -- I didn't have reservations but was able to secure a site for my stay.

I am caravanning into the International with a group from the Wisconsin Unit and will be spending several days prior to the International in the Fishing Bridge Campground. I made my reservations for that stay close to a month ago and was worried that I had waited too long, but received my confirmation two weeks ago. From what I have been hearing, it sounds like there are a number of unit caravans that are planning to visit Yellowstone prior to the International Rally this year.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 09:54 AM   #5
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Before or after?

Thanks Kevin, that is the kind of information I was looking for. Does anyone have a feel for the proportion of rally attendees who will be touring the area before versus after international?

I know there will be a lot of people in the area, and there is nothing I can do about that. BUT I can try to figure out where the worst of it will be and try to be somewhere else. I can also hope that most will be parking lot campers who don't care to be where I like to go .

and the
My Blog

Old 03-30-2008, 10:44 AM   #6
_

. , .
a 250 mile perimeter around yellowstone is a LARGE chunk of land in 5? states.

the park gets 2.5-3 MILLION visitors a year, and 100s of thousands of rv campers...

so a few dozen (or a couple 100) a/s isn't gonna matter much.

travel may be down this year but most campgrounds get booked well in advance of the june 25 to july 10 time frame.

being in or near BOZEMAN could be an issue or anywhere really during the independence holi-dayz

but int. rally camping is capped/limited this year and may one of the smallest annual convention ever staged by the club.

if you are planning to boondock or forest service camp near yellowstone, good luck, regardless of a/s events.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 11:37 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Is it me or do you think the International will have less attendance this year due to the high Fuel Prices..Gas.$3.25 and Diesel $4.30 per gallon. I have a hard time deciding to travel 2,000 miles one way to Montanna. I want to go badly but the fuel budget is killing my wishes!! AirstreamHobo
Ford Diesel Van "The Obie Van"
WBCCI #2590
TAC PA-2
http://airstreamhobo.blogspot.com/
airstreamhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 12:07 PM   #8
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
I doubt that the fuel cost will stop all that many people who own rigs. It may discourage the rentusa rv crowd but who knows.

I strongly dissagree that a few hundred rvs one way or the other will not make a difference. I have been going to yellowstone for years. I have been there in June, July, August, Sept, and October and I have seen first hand the differences in flow of people.

Also, if a person pays attention to these threads, you will find there are places not all that far from Yellowstone/Tetons where you can boondock.

and the
My Blog

Old 03-31-2008, 09:24 AM   #9
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Looking at my (very) tentative plan, by the week before the Rally I should be north of Yellowstone and on my way to Glacier NP. Hopefully everyone will want to see Yellowstone and not Glacier

and the
My Blog