Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-15-2009, 04:08 PM   #1
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Water thief proof water hydrant

A while ago I was at Cleary Lake campground in Prior Lake, MN. There are some group campsites with electric only we were using.

There was only one place to get water and they'd gone to great lengths to be sure there was absolutely no way to attach a hose. The hydrant was a 12" square heavy steel box with a valve lever, and an outlet about 12" from the ground. The outlet was built into a sort of angled ledge so that there was no way to get a water thief on there.

I've never seen anything like it before or since.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 09:00 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Guess they don't want you (us) to fill tanks with a hose! I hate when that happens. We carry a 5-gal water container to transfer water to the trailer's tank if we need it...just far circumstances like this.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 12:09 PM   #3

Seattle , Washington
I realize that some campgrounds may not want to give unlimited access to their water supply, however, as a camper you are going to need water (even over electricity).
I find myself confused by the idea of not giving campers access to the water supply.
I haven't seen the exact set up your talking about... but I have seen others in my travels.
Do they not want folks in their campground?
Hmmm
Victoria
vctrhdgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 12:23 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Time to buy a 2nd pump. I found a little pump that can be run by an electric drill. I use it to pump water from my shower into the toilet and black tank when I'm boondocking. I also can use it to run water in a bucket through the black tank rinser when I'm rinsing the black tank (normally I use a hose with a backflow preventer, but some campgrounds are paranoid about backflow into their white water. Fill a bucket with clean water, hook up the pump exhaust to the tank washer and turn on the drill! Voila.

If this becomes more common - I'll spend $15 more for a "White water pump".

Paula
Old 12-27-2009, 04:24 PM   #5
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I can see why public CG's want to make it hard to get water via a hose in the west. Water is scarce here. If the CG is in a desert, it's very scarce. And desert includes the high desert where piñon and juniper grow. It can be a desert without sand dunes and much of the west is high desert. You might not want to drink that water even though it's "potable". Sometimes it tastes downright nasty.

Why they do that in well watered areas is beyond me other than a one size fits all attitude.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 04:38 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
WE carry a second shur flo pump with a hose on each end. Have a cigarette lighter plug on it and an outlet installed in a side compartment.
I don't mind carrying the water to the trailer, but the pump means we don't have to hold the jugs up to fill, just pump it in.
We have tried the drill pumps, but had several fail. They don't seem to be very tolerant of running dry, even for a few minutes
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 05:01 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
1957 26' Overlander
Plymouth , Minnesota
I think I ran into one of the devices Jammer is talking about. It was at a group campsite at Baker Park, west of Minneapolis. I was confused by it.It must be some cost saving device in our park systems.

"Life itself is the most wonderful fairy tale"
(Hans Christian Andersen)

WBCCI 10289
TAC MN-69
AIR 11240
BradS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 05:22 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Mmm... Baker Park has a good reputation. I feel like my location gives me a jumpstart on Twin Cities traffic. But for that silly little anachronism, "the reservation" ... But I've actually considered Baker Park; just haven't gotten there yet.

Any pictures of these water thief obfuscation devices?

This is one of the reasons I'm rarely without a dedicated 5 gallon plastic jerry can for toting water. Mine says "diesel" on the side but our dishwashing knows better....

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 06:43 PM   #9
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Both of these campgrounds are part of the Three Rivers Park District. The District is one of the best organized and run independent park districts in the US, with assets of $170,000,000 and twenty sites covering almost 27,000 acres within 30 miles of Minneapolis.

I'm gonna assume they put in "cheater-proof" hydrants to prevent backflow and cross connections, not to keep you from stealing more than your fair share of water.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 07:14 PM   #10
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
I have seen those before, the supposed reason is to keep some people from running a hose to the faucet and using for their use and others not being able to get water. I have had this happen at a state park in NC. The people were not very nice when someone reported it to the rangers, after dark they hooked it back up. Someone cut their hose in about 4 pieces later that night.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 08:52 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradS View Post
I think I ran into one of the devices Jammer is talking about. It was at a group campsite at Baker Park, west of Minneapolis. I was confused by it.It must be some cost saving device in our park systems.
There is one thing I like even less in campgrounds. Those TP dispensers that will only let you get 3 or 4 sheets at a time.
Old 12-28-2009, 03:26 AM   #12
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
There is one thing I like even less in campgrounds. Those TP dispensers that will only let you get 3 or 4 sheets at a time.
That is why I take my own roll with me...ALWAYS I have also had one to many experiences where there was no TP or someone thinking they were being cute had wet it down.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 04:28 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
That is why I take my own roll with me...ALWAYS I have also had one to many experiences where there was no TP or someone thinking they were being cute had wet it down.

Aaron

uh... oh... Well I COULD top that story, but discretion and good taste have momentarily risen to the surface of my brain... so no funny but awful story.

Paula
Old 01-05-2010, 07:26 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Jammer, we'll start asking you to bring along an easy-to-carry camera to post photos back here. We'll provide the hack to show 'em the error of their ways....

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote