Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-12-2007, 03:29 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1953 Flying
Hi Neil,

How were the mosquito? I was up there last year about this time and there were a billion of the little boogers. We are going to Union Resevor in a couple of weeks. Thanks for sharing your photos.
Mosquitos are healthy. We have been going to Wright's for 20 years with the exception of the last few. Last year I am sure the bugs were thick coming off a very wet and snowy winter. This year the precipitation was minimal as you know so even though the mosquitos were there and bitting their bites did not seem potent. None of us displated many 'wealts'. Late July and beyond is the best time to go. The Lake water was warmish for swiming for this time of year. As for the water coming from that troublesome faucet (got to keep this thread on subject) was c-c-cold. Refreshing! We have reservations there for the Labor Day weekend. Hopefully some Forum members can join us for a mini rally and bring a margi ball.

Neil and Lynn.
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 03:31 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane
That's a creative answer. :;
But incorrect.
Although a brewmeister might have occasion to employ one.
I'm still thinking......

Neil.
FreshAir #12407

1966 Trade Wind

455 cid

455 cid
Old 07-12-2007, 03:37 PM   #23
1953 Flying Cloud

1953 21' Flying Cloud
West Sacramento , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by anholman
Mosquitos are healthy. We have been going to Wright's for 20 years with the exception of the last few. Last year I am sure the bugs were thick coming off a very wet and snowy winter. This year the precipitation was minimal as you know so even though the mosquitos were there and bitting their bites did not seem potent. None of us displated many 'wealts'. Late July and beyond is the best time to go. The Lake water was warmish for swiming for this time of year. As for the water coming from that troublesome faucet (got to keep this thread on subject) was c-c-cold. Refreshing! We have reservations there for the Labor Day weekend. Hopefully some Forum members can join us for a mini rally and bring a margi ball.

Neil and Lynn.
Sorry i wasn't trying to hi jack your thread. We are going there this weekend. I know know to buy one of those water theifs and modify it a little for the faucet. We are like you and try not to travel with the water tank fully loaded. see you on the road
1953 Flying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 06:55 PM   #24
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
Airstream Funeral Coach
Citrus Heights , California
Nice pics Neil! I really like the one of the "drop top" in front of the Tradewind!And the family shots are bringing back some good old memories of camping when I was a youngster. Thanks man.

www.popasmoke.com

Proud Appellation American

Vine View Heights is now closed.

YETI ( 65 Quart )

IGLOO (Ice Cube, 50 Quart )
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 07:58 PM   #25
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane
Now we know what a water thief is.

Today's quiz: What is a grain thief?
A Mouse?

Michael
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 08:51 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Hi Neil -- From the thread title I thought I'd be reading on a somewhat different subject. I started reading the first post absent mindedly, scrolled down to see the tow vehicle and I suddenly knew exactly whose thread I was reading! Lovely picture of the lake -- well, all the pictures y'know.

Last fall I was at a Nat'l Forest Service campground with a single well building in the middle of a large loop. It was not reachable by a hose! I was bailed out by a buddy who picked up a cheap plastic jerry can and funnel for all eventualities. I now own one too. When I have to, I can fill my water tank in a fair number of trips but I'd sure prefer it when I can use a water thief.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 09:10 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanoeStream
Hi Neil -- From the thread title I thought I'd be reading on a somewhat different subject. I started reading the first post absent mindedly, scrolled down to see the tow vehicle and I suddenly knew exactly who's thread I was reading! Lovely picture of the lake -- well, all the pictures y'know.

Last fall I was at a Nat'l Forest Service campground with a single well building in the middle of a large loop. It was not reachable by a hose! I was bailed out by a buddy who picked up a cheap plastic jerry can and funnel for all eventualities. I now own one too. When I have to, I can fill my water tank in a fair number of trips but I'd sure prefer it when I can use a water thief.
That's similar to my solution too. I keep one of those collapsible 5 gallon water containers in the AS and a funnel for emergency use. I have used it on numerous occasions.

The water thief comes in handy if you have a faucet available but i found the same problem as Neil. I end up holding the faucet end and Jan holds the hose in the tank inlet. Between the two of us we get water in the tank. (and a shower to boot!)
Old 07-12-2007, 09:19 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanoeStream

The last time we were camping at this forest service campground was before their renovations. I had remembered the old fashion water faucets with the threaded spigots. So I thought nothing of arriving with empty tanks, why haul all that weight. Good thing I had the Water Thief. I had also brought along a camping 5 gallon plastic jug (empty) to use near the picnic table. Without the thief the jug would have been the saviour.....with our son-in-law doing the honors. Very difficult for me to lift that jug full of water now. However, the purpose of this thread is/was to find out if the gov't parks are really discouraging people to 'tank' up. The responses so far indicate to me that it is a non issue because most of us are carrying a full compiment of water unless perhaps they expect to patronize full hookup parks. I thought I was 'helping' with the environment in saving fuel. Instead I seem to be nothing more than a 'Water Thief'.

Neil...and Lynn
FreshAir #12407

1966 Trade Wind

455 cid

455 cid
Old 07-12-2007, 11:29 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
Hi all,

We have a water thief, but sometimes it isn't "doable" because the only faucet is on the side of a building two roads away... (think Yosemite). I bought one of those plastic flexible oil filler thingys (very technical here...) washed it with soap and water and placed it in a bag. I can fill our water tank by using a bucket and the filler. Naturally it might take awhile... and many buckets of water... but many times just a few buckets full will get you by. It is my emergency back up system...

Just thought I would throw in my two cents. Usually we try to keep our water full. Some campgrounds have icky tasting water as well.

Keep on camping!
Mrs. NorCal Bambi (traveling in S Tardis)
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 12:51 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaddyGrn
Hi all,

We have a water thief, but sometimes it isn't "doable" because the only faucet is on the side of a building two roads away... (think Yosemite). I bought one of those plastic flexible oil filler thingys (very technical here...) washed it with soap and water and placed it in a bag. I can fill our water tank by using a bucket and the filler. Naturally it might take awhile... and many buckets of water... but many times just a few buckets full will get you by. It is my emergency back up system...

Just thought I would throw in my two cents. Usually we try to keep our water full. Some campgrounds have icky tasting water as well.

Keep on camping!
Mrs. NorCal Bambi (traveling in S Tardis)
We always carry bottled water for drinking and cooking. I think I had better always carry my collaspsible bucket and one of those'flexible oil filler thingys' too. Good suggestion. Our 2 former tent trailer's water tanks were 10 gallon portable containers. Just take it to the faucet, fill it and carry, lug, drag it back to the trailer. The former 5'er had a HUGE water tank that must have been self replenishing. I guess if you are planning a visit to an unfamiliar campground one must plan to sound idiotic and ask, "Got water?"

Neil and Lynn
FreshAir #12407

1966 Trade Wind

455 cid

455 cid
Old 07-25-2007, 10:37 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
I gotta GET one of those little devils. Not too long ago, we were dumping at a dump station and I wanted to do the black water tank rinse thing and the rinse water hose at the dump site had been stripped so you couldn't thread a hose to it....I got pretty wet trying to get water into the rinse inlet port and fnally gave up...fortunately, we were able to dump and rinse nicely at the next stop. (You know it's bad when you find yourself relating dump site stories.)

Happy Trails, you water theives, you!
TB
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 09:48 AM   #32
4 Rivet Member

1981 25' Excella II
Dillon , Colorado
It's strange that some national forest campgrounds offer a water faucet to fill your tanks, and some prohibit it. I can't imagine water being so scare that they wouldn't want you to fill your tank. I've been in that situation, and had the same experience with the water thief. I've found that if you tap the water thief on with a hammer to get it tight, and squeeze it with a tight grip while holding the handle with your other hand it will work, but it's tough.

Charlie
Pacerized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 12:45 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
Are we discussing the right topic here?

I don't mean to throw water on this thread (BTW: the pictures are great and I love the vintage TV trailer combination), but the title is, "Water Conservation?" At first look, I missed the question mark, and clicked on it thinking I would read about conserving the water in our tanks while boon docking, but it's not about that. It's about how to get water out of a campground spigot that's designed to prevent one from hooking up a hose. Perhaps the discussion should have been whether or not we agree with this method of water conservation.

In the first post, there is a mention of a sign saying, "No Filling RV Tanks." That seems to have been ignored here. What if a ranger happened by?

I truly understand the predicament these campers were in. This was the solution they developed, and the rules had changed since they were there last, thus forcing them to take this action. Given the same set of conditions, I may have taken the same action too.

The "bucket brigade" method of adding some water to our tanks, is probably more in the spirit of the sign's intention--use only what you need and don't be wasteful. Theoretically, one would tire out hauling water before the tank was filled. I too own a Water Thief, and I carry 75 feet of hose. I'm going to add a collapsible bucket and funnel to my provisions though, just in case I run into this myself.

Please don't read this as an attack on the originator of this thread, or anyone who replied. It's just a statement of by personal beliefs.

Randy
2014 27FB Flying Cloud - SilverCabin II
2018 F-150 Platinum - unnamed

The best part of any trip is when you pull away from home.
SilverCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 02:04 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverCabin

In the first post, there is a mention of a sign saying, "No Filling RV Tanks." That seems to have been ignored here. What if a ranger happened by?

Randy
Perhaps my choice of a title was too misleading. Now I see it may have been. I intended to find who else may have seen a trend at boondock campgrounds. This particular campground is one my family has visited for 20 years. In recent years they have renovated the campground with new toilets (pit) paved parking, and increased water faucets with the new ones I discribed. No signs of "No RV tank filling" were seen. The sign I saw was on the trip up at a forest ranger information/reststop. Most likely the reason, now that I think of it, was to discourage RVs lining up at the 'watering hole'. We will be visiting Wrights Lake again on the Labor Day weekend. I shall ask a ranger if their is such a rule, though not posted. This weekend we are traveling up to Lake Tahoe. When hauling up mountains I would prefer to go with dry tanks but this time I shall maybe carry 10 gallons of water. Oh.....we have a new Honda 2000.....it just keeps piling on doesn't it! Silver Cabin, no offense taken. I understand. BTW I like your new name. It's encouraging us to rethink ours.

Neil and Lynn.
FreshAir #12407

1966 Trade Wind

455 cid

455 cid