Old 12-03-2003, 11:49 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

Watch out for deer!

I had yet another encounter. I never go below the speed limit and of course had no time to react. Hit in the same place as the last deer. Probably $1000 in damages overall and moved my Chevy a lot closer to the Ghettomobile status. It is too old to get fixed. I just had a newer motor installed in it but I think that's all I will do with it.

Here in the olde Virginny - deer are more dangerous than rust.

Makes a pretty good case for driving semi-disposable vehicles. I would hate the idea of totalling a new(er) one. I think I would be really disappointed if my F250 got hit, that thing is old but has low miles and is in top mechnical condition.

And a couple of weeks ago, I ran over a dog with my Subaru. Same thing. At night, on a twisty unpredictable country road. Coming out of a turn at an optimistic speed and no time to react at all. Messed up the alignment, and after crawling under it for 10 minutes with flashlight, I confirmed it didn't tear the radiator or oil pan off.

Also, I hear if you try to miss it, will roll the vehicle. Haven't tried that yet.

Now an A/S, I am thinking is really vulnerable because of such large surface area. Real easy to have a beast just run into it. At 55mph, the damage is incredible. Wouldn't surprise me if it totaled it.

Old 12-04-2003, 12:36 AM   #2

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Since we moved out into a rural forested area five years ago, I have developed a habit of driving very cautiously at night, usually well below the speed limit. Winding country roads probably have even more hazards on them than in-town. We have been surprised by loose horses, cows, bicyclists, joggers, dogs, cats, coyotes, and of course - deer. Then there's the smaller fauna (bunnies, squirrels, possums, coon), and the occasional dropped branch, limb and once in a great while an entire tree. It sure ain't like the car commercials where they're out ripping through the woods without a care in the world!

Sorry to hear you got another deer. I've heard they are even worse out in your area than out here. Sounds like it's time for a year-round hunting season to me!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 01:17 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Deer Danger

I hit a buck 100 yds from my house going 20 mphin the HOLLYWOOD HILLS in California. Guess you don't have to be in the woods to create roadkill. I ended up spending 6000 to repair and upgrade.(complete paint job) ps. I sold the car today for what I paid to fix it up. PJ
Old 12-04-2003, 06:47 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1996 28' Excella
Okemos , Michigan
Unhappy Watch out for the other kind of bambi

Here in Michigan we have over 60,000 vehicle-deer collisions each year, with 5 or so people getting killed. Always remember that the deer is softer than either the ditch or that oncomming truck.
Old 12-04-2003, 09:50 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Abernathy , Texas
Deer in Airstream

A number of years ago a good friend of mine who has been Airstreaming for 35 years hit a deer....with the trailer.
Just as the tow vehicle passed the deer on the side of the road, the deer jumped to cross the road behind the tow vehicle....ooops...
The deer entered the Airstream through the front window. Very rattled, the deer managed to then create havoc as the driver slowed to a stop having felt the impact.
That deer ransacked the inside of the trailer from one end to the other trying desperately to find a way out while bleeding and shedding fur all over everything in sight from the cuts and scrapes obtained form the unauthorized entry. About the time the owner entered the trailer to see what had happened, the deer left via the front window leaving the owner to inspect the damages.
It was a helluva mess.
Old 12-04-2003, 07:04 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1992 30' Airstream 30
Santa Rosa , Northern California wine country
My MH came with two deer whistles(silent to me) mounted on the front bumper. Do those things really work? I haven't come across one yet, but if I do, IT will lose! Sorry.
Old 12-04-2003, 07:47 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1981 28' Airstream 280
Griffin , Georgia
my daughter was hit by a deer . its head broke through the glass in the right rear door of her maxima.
the good part was my 4 yr grandson just put a pillow between his head and the door. when the deer's head broke through the glass the pillow covered his face and ears and there was no injury.
the deer survived.
Old 12-04-2003, 08:02 PM   #8
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally posted by Astrodokk
My MH came with two deer whistles(silent to me) mounted on the front bumper. Do those things really work? I haven't come across one yet, but if I do, IT will lose! Sorry.
No.
(ask me how I know)
Terry
Old 12-04-2003, 09:30 PM   #9
Just an old timer...

Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
Originally posted by Astrodokk
My experience has been that they work... sometimes.... it depends a great deal on the location you're in and the species of deer. The mulies in the Sierras used to (for the most part) stop dead in their tracks and look at you. The whitetails in Iowa don't much care; they're so skittish there's no telling what they'll do.

Roger
Old 12-04-2003, 09:43 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

The daughter of some friends, died when a deer was hit by a car in front of her car.

When the deer was hit it flipped up and over the first car smashing into the windshield of the daughter’s car.
Old 12-05-2003, 02:28 PM   #11
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
In the UP of MI they have some test areas on the highway that have red reflectorts on either side of the road. So far, from what the locals say, the deer contacts in the areas where the red reflectors are installed has a lower hit rate than that of the areas that are without.

Wonder why red reflectors scare them off (maybe laser sight phobia)?
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 02:44 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1981 28' Airstream 280
Griffin , Georgia
Wonder why red reflectors scare them off (maybe laser sight phobia)?

here in Georgia they have yellow reflectors set up but they are at the edge of the right of way to reflect back into the woods
Old 12-05-2003, 02:54 PM   #13
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Does it help?
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 10:48 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1981 28' Airstream 280
Griffin , Georgia
Does it help?

I never saw any official figures on the number of collisions, but they were only installed where there were alot of collisions with deer.
several in my area have been replaced after being damaged.
so maybe the answer is yes.

we have a large number of deer and the number of deer that hunters can take is 12 I think.
this herd started in the beginningg 60's with transplants from wisconsin and michigan and they like it down here