Old 04-19-2016, 09:02 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

East Bridgewater , Massachusetts
Waste wagon and generator

I have a new 2016 25' flying cloud with solar. I am traveling on a maiden voyage this Saturday across the country from Boston to the Grand Canyon

Is a waste wagon recommended if I am only staying 1 or 2 nights max in each location?

Also, with electric in most campgrounds and solar on my airstream should I pack my generator or is this really not required any more? Also worried about it being stolen.

Third question, do people leave the vinyl cover on their trucks rolled up so possible thiefs don't slash the top
To see what's under it.

Thanks for your suggestion

Old 04-19-2016, 09:27 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
1999 34' Excella
Davidson County, NC , Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by renrutdraw View Post
I have a new 2016 25' flying cloud with solar. I am traveling on a maiden voyage this Saturday across the country from Boston to the Grand Canyon

Is a waste wagon recommended if I am only staying 1 or 2 nights max in each location?

Also, with electric in most campgrounds and solar on my airstream should I pack my generator or is this really not required any more? Also worried about it being stolen.

Third question, do people leave the vinyl cover on their trucks rolled up so possible thiefs don't slash the top
To see what's under it.

Thanks for your suggestion
What I do:
If I go directly to one destination, where I know I will have full hookups, then return directly home, I leave the blue boy waste tank at home.
If I am traveling cross country, where I might choose to stay where there are no hookup, I put the waste tank and a portable water tank in the back of the truck, just in case I decide to stay where there are no hookup. Many state and federal campsites do not have hookups, only a water source and a dump station nearby.

I do the same with the generator.

My truck bed always has stuff stored in it, so I keep it covered (fiberglass topper)

add edit:
In our 25', my wife and I can go 3 days easily, if the water tank is full and the gray is empty, without replenishing. If we are conservative, we can go 4 days. Black tank is never a problem for just the two of us.

Old 04-19-2016, 09:28 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
1955 22' Flying Cloud
1964 17' Bambi II
Clear Lake Shores , Texas
Answers

Quote:

To see what's under it.
Many sites will have sewer hookups. For those that do not, internal tankage should be sufficient unless you have a lot of folks in the trailer or take lots of showers.
Solar is hard to predict since it is weather dependent. I imagine you will be staying in sites with electric most of the time. If not, a generator is a good backup plan but probably not necessary unless you need A/C which is doubtful this time of year.
If you have a vinyl tonneau cover I would leave it closed but not locked. Hard lockable covers are not overly expensive but doubt you have time to upgrade before your trip.
Safe travels!
Old 04-19-2016, 09:40 AM   #4
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
No. Fill that space with something else. Even if you only boondock along the way, you should pass a dump station just about every time you cross a state line. A large number of official state welcome centers have dump stations on the premises.
Quote:
Solar only makes a difference if you bookdock. Then, if your solar capacity in watts is less than your battery capacity in amp-hours, you might need a generator to make up the difference.
Quote:
Third question, do people leave the vinyl cover on their trucks rolled up so possible thiefs don't slash the top to see what's under it.
Out of sight, out of mind. Your stuff is safer under the cover than in the open.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 09:47 AM   #5

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

We have a 2015 Flying Cloud 25FB. Prior to that we had a 2005 Safari 25FB. We have almost 1,800 nights in the Airstreams and 150,000 miles towed. We have never had an auxiliary waste water tank, and never found a need for one.

As to your generator question, we have two Honda 2000's that we always take on long trips. We usually stay gone 60 to 90 days. These come in handy if we want to overnight at a Wal-Mart.

As to security, we tow with a Suburban and a pick-up with a truck camper on it, and don't have any issues with soft tops. In our pretty extensive camping experience, we have never had a single issue with theft or vandalism. Not to say that it can't happen.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 12:25 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
No honey wagon-
No genny-
Stuff in truck bed hidden under hard folding tonneau cover-
6 years with a travel trailer, 33 years tent camping before that-
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 12:36 PM   #7
HCR
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Livingston , Full time traveler
I suggest taking the generator in case you don't have hookups and want to watch tv, microwave, make coffee, etc. AND/OR encounter days of cloudy sky. I don't know how many solar panels you have or how many batteries, so I'm speculating.
Old 04-19-2016, 01:50 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
palm beach gardens , Florida
I have a 2005 25 and I am headed in that direction Sunday from FLA. In my opinion, you do not need a waste wagon or generator. That holding tank will last longer than 2 or 3 days and if you are careful, the solar panels should work fine for everything but AC.
Old 04-19-2016, 02:34 PM   #9
PKI
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
It depends on your travel style.

Waste wagon = no. If you need to wagon waste, you are staying too long in one place. Folks staying a week or more might find it useful, but it's really a special application. Dump before you leave and leave before you need to dump.

Generator = yes if you do not plan to use electrical hookup sites. Note, unless you have the generator capacity, you can not run AC. If you travel often, the TV will help top up the Batteries in addition to the solar. So a small generator would only help if you are planning to be places without hookups and need electrical power for lights, fan and fridge. Would think your solar would do that, but you won't know until you develop some experience with your systems and travel style. So, until you know, I'd take it.

Exception - we do not have solar or a generator. Our plan is to stay at full hookup sites. We will boon it a day once in a while, but it's usually after a lot of hours on the road. You can do same if the generator is a problem to take along.

Out of sight = good plan. Unfortunately, if you use a generator it will not be out of hearing, so lock it up all the time.

Do folks really run generators in a Walmart parking lot?

Heard a story once about a pair of long nose rigs racing up a long hill. They were both struggling to make the grade, but one truck started to make a little headway. The other driver shouted an offer of a wager. The driver with the advantage agreed. The other driver reached out the door and shot a steady stream of CO2 from his fire extinguisher into the air cleaner of his competitor's rig and continued to pull the hill while the unhappy gentleman with the sputtering engine fell further and further back.

Wonder if that would work on a generator some nice quiet night?

Travel safe. Pat