Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2017, 08:14 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2017 28' International
Camano Island , Washington
Washington State to New Hampshire

We are picking up our new International 28 next week, and have several trips planned for this summer. (Alas, we could not change our spot in Yellowstone, so the tent trailer will get one last trip.)

Next summer we're planning a cross country trip to take my daughter to college in New Hampshire . I'd love, love, love suggestions on routes, campgrounds, advice, places we *have* to stop, etc.

Thanks!
noeljoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 03:40 PM   #2
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
If you head out on I-90, you won't be too far from Glacier National Park. From there it's a short hope to the adjacent Waterton Lakes NP in Alberta, Canada.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 06:38 PM   #3
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
OK - I90 East to Missoula and then North to Glacier. Stop on the way on the West side of Flathead Lake and after doing the Going to the Sun Road to the top, head back South and go on the East side of Flathead. Head back to I90 and roll on to the KOA in Billings Montana. It is the first KOA and a good conversation item for future campfire discussions. You just have to go once. http://koa.com/campgrounds/billings/

On the East side of Billings take the I94. It is a good route to Teddy Roosevelt NP. That can be a short stop at the visitor center or a couple of days camping if you like it. Then Bismark and Fargo are on the route.

Several options from Fargo which include staying North. However, we went a bit South and East to a major quilting store. You should go to Lake Michigan before heading South around Chicago.

From there, it's a slant down on 30 into Ohio and Jackson Center for a factory tour if you have never done one. Staying in the Terra Port is an Airstream rite of passage.

Then back up to I90 and over to Niagra Falls. Goat Island has RV parking away from the main car and tour bus parking lot. It's a bit of a walk, but easier on the nerves.

After you have seen enough falling water, it's not too far over to the Adirondacks. It's kind of a neat drive into Vermont from up next to Canada and then you are just next door to New Hampshire. Just be careful which covered bridges you go through. Some are a bit low.

Should be a great trip. Enjoy! Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 10:32 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2017 28' International
Wow! Thank you so much. This is such a great help. We have done loads of traveling out west, but the Midwest and East are all new territory. These are really helpful suggestions.
Old 05-09-2017, 10:30 AM   #5
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Yes, it was. And the other half is the trip home. We made the trip in the Fall to see the color turn .... leaf peeping they call it. A loop into Maine, a run down to Virginia, and the trip back home through Kentucky to visit the Quilt Museum in Paducah. Colorado I70 is interesting, but lots of choices.

Good Luck with the trip. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 11:19 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2013 27' Flying Cloud
Acton , California
wa trip

what a terrific trip that would be. i think we may just do it next year. thanks for sharing the info!
intyme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 12:18 PM   #7
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
On our last trip travelling west to Vancouver from Quebec City and Ottawa we dropped down into the US at Sarnia, came around the bottom of Lake Michigan, and then managed to stay off the interstates for most of the way back to Everett. We like Hwy 2 over the interstates. Beautiful country, lots of interesting towns. Just an option to consider. We'll do it again.
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 12:21 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Seattle , Washington
If going through Canada, don't forget your passports -
vito98103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 12:51 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
If it was me, I'd go north into Canada and then drive the majority of the trip east through Canada and then drop down. Better roads, cleaner campgrounds and a lot less hassle through large cities like Chicago.
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 01:18 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Stay north all the way, i90-94 near Chicago has high tolls on the road 4 axles, it gets expensive, the northern route has. Good roads nice campgrounds, better scenery....
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 03:15 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

2013 27' Flying Cloud
Acton , California
wa cross country trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by vito98103 View Post
If going through Canada, don't forget your passports -
washington residents can get an enhanced drivers license then no need for passport to canada. super convenient!
intyme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 03:44 PM   #12
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
I suppose you could carry on east through Canada to New Hampshire, but my main point was to try out Hwy 2 instead of the interstates, at least to Michigan. I understand that you can cut through Canada for a portion, as Hwy 2 is in two separate sections, and then drop back in on Hwy 2 in New York. We plan to go back to see the eastern section.

We went from Vancouver to Quebec City through Canada, and came back west on Hwy 2 specifically to see it.
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 06:00 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2019 30' International
Pennsylvania , Pennsylvania
If you're east and have never been to Niagara I highly recommend it.

You could run 20 out of Buffalo all the way to Albany, take 7 to Bennington, and then 9 to Concord.

The Anchor Bar in Buffalo is easy to get to, home of the Buffalo wing.....highly recommend!

Bennington VT and the Green Mountains are nice, Stowe VT is a nice little town, Burlington VT on Lake Champlain has a nice downtown shopping/cultural district. If you're in New Hampshire and don't go up Mount Washington I'd say you're missing a great opportunity there! The White Mountains are full of cool stuff to do.

We were at a rally a few weeks back, a couple folks shared they travel East/West in the U.S. because gas is cheaper.
majorairhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 07:07 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Sequim , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by intyme13 View Post
washington residents can get an enhanced drivers license then no need for passport to canada. super convenient!
Better yet, get a Nexus card snd get through the special lanes quicker. We have both WA enhanced and Nexus. The latter is better but costs about $50 and requires a personal visit for interviews by US and Canada customs after Homeland Security background checks. Upstate NY and New England are wonderful as are the Maritime Provinces. We travelled Seattle to St John's Newfoundland and cannot wait to return.

Don't even think of going into Canada if you have any history of a DUI.

Consider camping at Rafter J - Bar Ranch in Hill City SD and visits to Mt Rushmore and especially Crazy Horse.
WestieHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 07:33 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Sequim , Washington
A few other random thoughts:
I grew up in Buffalo and ate Frank and Theresa's Anchor Bar frequently in the 50's , 60's and 70's as I went to grade school a block away and later worked at Buffalo General Hospital nearby. It is nothing like the original place. Go only if you enjoy loud noisy sports bars. And don't even consuder driving your Airstream to the Anchor Bar!

Other places to consider:
* Michigan Upper Peninsula - Mackinaw Bridge / Island
* Chemin du Roy through Quebec to Montreal Quebec City (Camp at Levis) - walk Old Quebec and the fort walls.
* PEI - phenomenal seafood and sites. Site of Anne of Green Gables
* Lake Placid (winter Olympics site) - Lake Champlain area - Whiteface Mt. - leave Airstream below.
* Mt Washington - definitely drive it. Hike if you are fit and prepared for America's deadliest Mt. and potential severe storms any time.
* Bar Harbor and Acadia NP (get the lifetime free pass if you are over 62 years old).
* Pugwash Nova Scotia - terrific history and Nobel Peace Prize relationship -
We took 95 days and wanted more time!
WestieHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 08:27 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Port Angeles , Washington
I would go over North Cascades Hyway (20)- maybe taking 20 across Washington.
You could stay north over toward Glacier.

I like the smaller roads also- I've always wanted to take hwy 2 all the way across as far as possible.
(But you probably know Washington State pretty well).
What time of year?
Lotus54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 09:36 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2017 28' International
Do you have any route/sight seeing suggestions if we went through Canada? I know very little about the area east of Vancouver, BC. (So, pretty much all of Canada!)
Old 05-09-2017, 09:37 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2017 28' International
We have Nexus passes, so we're good there.
Old 05-09-2017, 09:42 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2017 28' International
We love the section on Hwy 2 that runs through Washington State. Thanks for the suggestion. This sounds like a wonderful route.
Old 05-09-2017, 09:47 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2017 28' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestieHouse View Post
Better yet, get a Nexus card snd get through the special lanes quicker. We have both WA enhanced and Nexus. The latter is better but costs about $50 and requires a personal visit for interviews by US and Canada customs after Homeland Security background checks. Upstate NY and New England are wonderful as are the Maritime Provinces. We travelled Seattle to St John's Newfoundland and cannot wait to return.

Don't even think of going into Canada if you have any history of a DUI.

Consider camping at Rafter J - Bar Ranch in Hill City SD and visits to Mt Rushmore and especially Crazy Horse.
We have Nexus cards. They're wonderful if you travel to Canada. Plus as an added bonus you get all of the benefits of Global Entry if you travel internationally as well!