Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-01-2007, 05:49 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
Washington, DC campground info?

We are thinking of visiting Washington, DC this summer. Does anyone have any campground recommendations? I expect we would stay 2-3 nights and would like to be close to the capitol if possible, but we can be flexible. Generally we would prefer a state or national park, but that is just a preference.
2019 Airstream Classic 30RBT, 2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley, ACI #1313

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 06:57 PM   #2
Rivet Master

I always suggest the KOA in Harpers Ferry, WV. Nice campground, Harpers Ferry has great history and you can pick up the train right into Union Station in Washington, DC.
Old 02-01-2007, 07:05 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
We stay at Cherry Hill. I believe it's the closest to downtown DC, and has a Metro bus stop that connects with the Metro subway, right at the campground. Scroll down to post #1 for a brief review:

http://www.airforums.com/forum...ht=Cherry+Hill

Link to the park:

Cherry Hill Park :|: Cherry Hill Park
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 07:08 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2013 31' Classic
Crossville , Tennessee
What Paul said.

I lived in Harpers Ferry for 7 years, and I agree with Paul. When we had company, we caught the train into DC for touristy things. It also gives you a SAFER envioronment for leaving the trailer unattended as well as for sleeping. Also, if you are interested in Civil War history, it is very close to Antitem Battlefield in Sharpsburg; and not too far from Gettysburg. Keeps you AWAY from heavy traffic. It is located on 340 just north of Charlestown, WV. One hour or less train ride from DC.
steelbird312 WBCCI #6673 jerry Hodge
2013 31" Classic limited
Have no intention of arriving at the grave safely, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, throttle in the other, totally worn out and screaming
"WOO HOO, WHAT A RIDE!"
steelbird312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 07:16 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
I live in Berkeley Springs, WV. That's less than an hour from Harpers Ferry. I echo the sentiments above (even though I'm a bit biased ),it's a beautiful area!

John Brown, the abolitionist, led his big slave uprising in Harpers Ferry. The town alone is full of Civil War history. The movies "Gettysburg" and "Gods and Generals" were filmed in this area with something over 5000 re-enactors. A buddy of mine was in them both.

At any rate, I think you'd find HF a really nice place to park the tube. Not much crime in WV. Oh yeah, in Harpers Ferry, they have snapping turtles as big around as rubbermaid trash can lids. Don't fall in the canal!
Old 02-01-2007, 08:02 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
Thanks folks, some great recommendations!
2019 Airstream Classic 30RBT, 2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley, ACI #1313

Old 02-01-2007, 10:26 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 34' Classic
N Smithfield , Rhode Island
We stayed at Cherry Hill Park and would highly recommend it. It's a little pricey compared to other campgrounds, but you get full hookups with cable.
They have a good size pool which the kids love. The bus comes right to the campground and takes you to the Metro, which is quite convenient. No need to worry about parking in the city.

And guess what.......we had such a great time there in 2004, we plan to go back there this June to explore more of DC. Can't wait!

Gail

BRN-2905
NEAC of Region 1
AirHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 12:21 AM   #8
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
Please go to Arlington Cemetery while you are there.
68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 04:45 AM   #9
Bustersmith

2008 25' International CCD
Reston , Virginia
Lake Fairfax

Brad,
You should consider Lake Fairfax Park in Reston, VA. It's 10 miles outside the Beltway, but you can get into DC rapidly by car. You can also go to Vienna VA and take the METRO. There's also a direct commuter's bus (Fairfax County Connector) from Reston (park at the East Reston Parking Lot on Wiele Rd near 267/Dulles Toll Rd)that goes to DC or connects to METRO at West Falls Church.

We live nearby in Reston so we have not stayed at Fairfax Park. But we checked it out and the facilities seem nice. Parking sites are around a field on a hill but there were trees and options for parking under in the wood line. We didn't see any ASs but there were a number of nice RVs and campers parked at it. Here's the link:
FCPA - Camping at Lake Fairfax Park

Send me a note and I can tell you more about Reston, VA which is a nice little city with a distinct center area with good restaurants and other ammenities.
Vr Gene
Bustersmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 06:36 AM   #10
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimGolden
I think you'd find HF a really nice place to park the tube. Not much crime in WV. Oh yeah, in Harpers Ferry, they have snapping turtles as big around as rubbermaid trash can lids. Don't fall in the canal!
OK everyone! Turtle soup in Harpers Ferry! Sounds like a rally to me!
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 07:50 AM   #11
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
If you walk around the Harpers Ferry Campground you will see several ditches along the south side. These are actual Civil War trenches that were never filled in. The park service has plaques with descriptions along them. So it is an actual battlefield.

AIRSTREAM 345 TURBO-DIESEL
VFW, LEGION, NRA

cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 10:01 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickandsandi
OK everyone! Turtle soup in Harpers Ferry! Sounds like a rally to me!
\

Sounds, good. We'll follow G&T down and I really like turtle soup with those little crackers and a splash.
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 10:54 AM   #13
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Page and I have stayed at Prince William Forest Park (NP) which is about 20 miles south of DC near Quantico. The Trailer Village is nice enough, woods and trails close by. The rest rooms are good for a national park.

Access to DC is easiest by Metro - take a short drive north (to the next exit, I think) then you can park in the lot. There is a Metro stop in the middle of the Mall - very convenient to Smithsonian and everything.

Pat
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 11:56 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Willoughby , Ohio
We stayed at Cherry Hill and had a good time. We drove to the local Metro station and took the train into DC every day - it worked out great. I spend a lot of time in DC for my job and the Metro is a Godsend. If you are going to be touring DC, Cherry Hill is great - if you're staying in the campground a lot, the sites can be small and close together. Also, it is right on the interstate and you get traffic noise all night long.

The University of Maryland is just down the same street, so you may have college traffic to contentd with depending on when you go. There is a great grocery store just down the road too.

Have fun!
2005 28' CCD, 2011 Sierra 5.3L, Equal-I-Zer
Empty Nesters - spending our money on OURSELVES for a change!
Steve & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 07:33 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
Well, here's our plan at this point. We are originally from Lexington, MA and our old house abutted the Minuteman National Park - a lot of history and character. Likewise, Harpers Ferry sounds really intriguing and we have gone ahead and made reservations.

Now here's something I think will be really cool. Prior to hitting DC we will spend a few days in NYC. I made reservations at Liberty Harbor Marina and RV Park - in Jersey City, right on the Hudson River directly across from the World Trade Center area, and very close to the Statue of Liberty. I have stayed here before - very safe, typically very expensive motor homes frequent this park. You can catch a ferry over to the city - perhaps a 30 second walk to the boat from the RV park - possibly less. Keep in mind that this is also a marina - you are right on the water.

Anyway, we will be there for July 4th! How cool do you think that is for a campsite - overlooking the city, overlooking the Statue of Liberty and watching the fireworks? I could be wrong, but I don't think it gets much better than that!

Old 02-03-2007, 06:16 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2013 31' Classic
Crossville , Tennessee
Nilesrob,
All that sounds wonderful. Dianne and I were fortunate enough to get to go on the last WBCCI Statue of Liberty Rally. We parked beside of the old train station, right next to the marina. The ferry takes you across very quickly, and opens all of NY to you. Be sure, if you like the historical part, to catch the boat to Ellis island, and then lady Liberty. Gosh, you almost need 2-3 weeks right there!
When you get to Harpers Ferry, you can visit the visitors center, and then you will find you will need to extend your stay to be able to see everything within 100 miles in every direction. Charles town, right next door, has a lot of old history through the Washington family. A visit to the library there is interesting. Then driving to the west...........well I guess I'm getting carried Away!
2013 31" Classic limited
Have no intention of arriving at the grave safely, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, throttle in the other, totally worn out and screaming
"WOO HOO, WHAT A RIDE!"
Old 02-03-2007, 08:20 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
we have to be in VA Beach June 9 and 10 then have loose plans. Might head to Harpers Ferry and DC for a few days. Its always interesting and sitmulating to the Patriot in me to visit DC. Then who know where...depends on gas prices and such,,,,
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 06:06 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2013 31' Classic
Crossville , Tennessee
Alan,
Taking a tangent on this thread, have you ever taken time to wander about through eastern KY, W. Va, western Maryland and through that area? It is one of those type of trips that you just let it happen. Lots of touristy things to do, natural wonders to explore, tour of glass shops, wineries, etc.
Well, I guess it sounds a lot like America, huh?
Oh well, just a thought.
2013 31" Classic limited
"WOO HOO, WHAT A RIDE!"
Old 02-04-2007, 10:01 AM   #19
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
Perhaps continuing the tangent, I just finished reading "Blue Highways" by William Least Heat-Moon, probably written 20-25 years ago. If you haven't read it (or in the last 20 years), it is definitely worth reading. The problem is, it will get your travel juices flowing.

We are psyched about our trip to Harpers Ferry and DC (and New York City)! Can't wait!!

Old 02-04-2007, 12:08 PM   #20
1996 34' Classic

1996 34' Excella
Culpeper , Virginia
Wife and I stayed a week at Lake Fairfax Park this past September. You would think you're in the middle of the country but you're right in the heart of Fairfax County. Sites were nice, people were nice. Only down side for us was that the Camp Store had little to no inventory but this was after Labor day. There is a Water Park inside the park if you want to partake. Other comments about access to DC are correct. Rate was $29/nite for water and 30amp service.
Fair is where they put ribbons on pigs.
FordTruck is offline   Reply With Quote