Old 10-31-2014, 08:14 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2006 22' Interstate
Mont Vernon , New Hampshire
Washington DC Area Campground Recommendations

Hi Everyone,

We are planning a trip to the DC area and want to stay near Dulles airport so we can tour the Udvar-Hazy Air and Space Museum. Any recommendations for a nearby campground?

Any great off the beaten path sites we should take in?

Thanks!
Kate

Old 10-31-2014, 08:15 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Lake Placid , Florida
Not sure where it is, but we just had friends that highly recommended Cherry Hill Campground. They said there is a shuttle bus that will pick you up there and take you into DC to see the sites. They were very happy with the campground. Good luck and safe travels!

Laura & Tom

Old 10-31-2014, 08:26 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster

Cherry Hill. Bus from the park to train/subway into DC. Contact your congress person for congressional tours and bypass the long lines.
Trust me. It's the best way to see DC.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Past President, El Camino Real Unit WBCCI#6620
Street Rod Builder (see avatar)
Kite flier (check out links below)
http://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhee
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6y1_U2XQ0bI
Jim Foster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 08:53 PM   #4
AS Wannabe

Currently Looking...
Reston , Virginia

Bull Run Regional Park ... Its not too far from the museum ... About 10 miles ... And its open year round

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 10-31-2014, 09:11 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2012 30' Flying Cloud
Lake St Louis , Missouri
Another vote for Cherry Hills, if it's in the right location for you. We stayed there a couple years ago. The local bus service stops at the park as part of their normal route. Grey Line tours also stops there and the Cherry Hills office sells tickets for their tours. Also very convenient.
Old 10-31-2014, 09:17 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Vienna , Virginia
You can look at Lake Fairfax Park or Bull Run Park. Fairfax I think has just electric but Bull Run full hook ups.

Both are pretty close to Dulles Airport and Lake Fairfax is very close to the new Silver line metro stop. I have not been over to Lake Fairfax in a while but I believe there is a hiking trail from the camping area to where the metro is.

There was also a bus that you can take from Hazy to the Air and Space down town. It might be a good option to park and get down town.

Let me know if you have any questions

Old 11-01-2014, 06:41 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2006 22' Interstate
Mont Vernon , New Hampshire
We have a 22 foot Interstate.

Do you think there is room to park at the Hazy especially if we go thru the week during off season?

Thanks
Katy
Old 11-01-2014, 07:50 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2005 30' Safari
Jeromesville , Ohio
Another vote for Cherry Hill from my family. It's been 3-4 years since we were there, but would definitely consider it again now if going back to the area. The bus pickup at the park was a big plus for us. We never drove anywhere from the park but still did a lot of touring in DC.
Old 11-01-2014, 08:49 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Vienna , Virginia
I don't think that you will have an issue parking at the the hazy center with your Interstate.

You should also consider stopping at Manassas battle field which is right there also.

There is a lot of possible places to park and get on the new silver line metro to go downtown. Tyson's corner mall on rt7 should be easy place to park and get on the metro or there is a bunch of commuter parking on Sunset hills dr by the last stop on the silver line.

Old 11-01-2014, 10:36 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We were thru there a couple of years ago, stayed at Pohick Bay south of ther,

It was ghastly hot, just wanted to drive around a see a few things, as we couldn't leave Lily in the Interstate.

Did find that a vehicle the size of ours was prohibited on the street in front if the White House.

If you can stay someplace that has a shuttle in, that sounds like a great idea, to me. Those hop-on, hop-off tour buses, that go to everything, are a great way to see big cities, in our experience.

We got to the campground and were sitting outside, looking at the map, when that earthquake hit.....our chairs, and the Interstate, rocked pretty hard.

Maggie
Old 11-01-2014, 01:10 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Waitsfield , Vermont
Send a message via AIM to Vermontmary
Fairfax Park

Our group of four trailers stayed at Lake Fairfax Park in Reston, VA. It's a beautiful park, maintained by the county. There are not water or sewer hookups, only electricity... but it is in a lovely setting. There is a bus to the Silver Line Station here also, although we just drove to the station and parked for our trips into town.
Old 11-01-2014, 01:14 PM   #12

1993 30' Excella
Lovettsville , Virginia
Bull Run Park is close. Just down hwy 28. You will want to check the Virginia Regional Parks web page to find out what campgrounds are open. The parks with camping are all very nice. We have stayed at several. There is a lot to do in the northern Virginia/DC area. Lots of historical sites, the zoo in DC, and of course, because we live among them, the wineries.
Old 11-01-2014, 01:32 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

1993 30' Excella
Kaplan , Louisiana
Here ia another vote for Cherry Hill. The accomdations are great and the service to the DC is fantastic. Might be a little on the expensive side but well worth the price you pay.
Old 11-02-2014, 10:33 AM   #14
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Rockport , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Jaxon Send a message via Yahoo to Jaxon
Thumbs up Cherry Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Foster View Post
Cherry Hill. Bus from the park to train/subway into DC. Contact your congress person for congressional tours and bypass the long lines.
Trust me. It's the best way to see DC.
Heartily give a second & third on Cherry Hill.

We’ve stayed there twice while we did the Smithsonian tours and DC tours... Taking the subway into the Capitol area was very easy and the bus taking you to the subway station stopped & returned to the campground... The park is convinient to grocery stores and the likes as well as restaurants (IHop at midnight was great!)... The campground store also has pretty much everything you’ll need. Nice park to walk around in in the evenings/mornings, too.

We stayed for 3-4 weeks at a time and the rates for that were not bad. It was well worth it given the location, facilities and convenience.

Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote