Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-10-2011, 03:34 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
tellico plains , tn
Washington D.C. trip.....

we have had the washington, d.c. sightseeing thing on the back burner for many years but decided to get it crossed off the 'bucket list'........just returned home to the mountains of tn.............great trip.
there were many highlights but amazed the 4 door full size diesel, towing 28' safari averaged 15.9 mpg on a 1348 mile trip.
we stayed at 'cherry hill campground' in college park and although very pricey well worth it.....super nice folks.
could not say enough good things about washington, d.c. virtually everyone was friendly, felt 100% safe at all times, very clean city, lots to see and do. however the vast majority of sights and attractions are free i.e. smithsonian.
the best kept secret was eating in the cafeteria at dept. of agriculture....
now that the weather has cooled it's time to get caught up with camping this year.
p.s. saw 6 airstreams along the way.....love it.
ohwally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 03:41 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
tellico plains , tn
ford f-250 mpg

forgot to state it is a 2011 f-250.....
Old 10-10-2011, 05:08 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
2000 33' Land Yacht
Ball Ground , Georgia
Would like to do the same

Someday soon I would like to do the same thing with my Airstream. Two questions for you. Would you mind giving an approximate daily rate for Cherry Hill and if you know is it easy or close to get to one of the Metro subway stations. I understand and trust it completely but driving down town not so much. Thanks for the information.
AL’ UM- MONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 07:04 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAT View Post
... Would you mind giving an approximate daily rate for Cherry Hill and if you know is it easy or close to get to one of the Metro subway stations. I understand and trust it completely but driving down town not so much.

Here is a link to the rates:

Cherry Hill Park is the Closest Campground to Washington, DC :|: Rates

Note the discount possibilities.

There is actually a Metro bus stop at the campground. If I recall, the bus leaves for the nearest Metro station approximately every 30 minutes. Check out the all day Metro ticket. In my humble opinion, this is the best way to see the entire DC area. Opinions may vary on this, but I base this on several trips, both driving into town, and using the Metro. DC is one of our favorite locations. We go there often.

You may also want to check out Greenbelt National Park Campground. It's much cheaper than Cherry Hill, but it's dry camping ($16 per night!). They're open year round, and are as close to downtown DC as Cherry Hill. We prefer Greenbelt this time of the year when it's not so hot outside. Reservations should not be necessary. They rarely, if ever, fill up. "D" loop is our favorite.

Greenbelt Park - campground reservations (U.S. National Park Service)

Have a great trip!
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 08:37 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
tellico plains , tn
Washington, D.C...

we live in the mountains of tn. in a village with a population of about 38, closest red light is 28 miles away......not ashamed to tell you driving through washington, d.c. was a challenge for this country boy.
there is a vast amount of road construction going on.....not for the timid.
as mentioned there is a metro bus departing from cherry hill campground which takes you directly to the subway. however plan for the trip into the city to take at least 1 hour.
hate to give advice but be sure you are in good shape. prior to the trip we went on a walking regimen for 30 days to build stamina. guarantee you will sleep good at night.
cannot say enough good things about the staff at cherry hill. they will spend as much time with you as it takes. bath houses were spotless....
Old 10-21-2011, 05:56 PM   #6
Buddy and Barbara

2013 30' Classic
Macclenny , Florida
We spent a week in Washington, D.C. last April -- also stayed in Cherry Hill Park. Every day was an adventure. We road the bus to the subway most days and had no trouble at all getting around. Lots to see and do. Lots of walking. We met some really nice people, including a family from Australia who had rented a camper and were seeing the east coast. When in D.C., if you can, get to the Old Soldiers Home and see Lincoln's Cottage, it is well worth the trip. I don't recommend taking public transportation to it. We drove there and I was very glad! It's in a very old and kind of dicie part of town. If you tour the Capitol Building, be aware that eating in the cafeteria is very expensive -- $47 for two salad bars and tea!
Silver Peanut is offline   Reply With Quote