Old 06-17-2003, 08:47 PM   #1
Rivet Master
South Shore , Kentucky
Warning Signs!

I've been reading on the forums about people having damage to their trailer structure concerning the rivets. I understand that they can work loose or give away if the tow vehicle is too much of a heavy duty vehicle for the trailer when towing.

I just purchased a Dodge Ram 3500 1 ton dually about a month or two ago. It seems like it will be really nice as far as towing. It's stable, has lots of power, I feel very secure pulling with it. We have a 31' Excella which weighs about 7500 lbs that we will be towing. I haven't had it long enough to know how it's going to do over a long period of time but were looking forward to a trip to FLA in July.

I guess what I'm asking is..... is there any kind of correlation to the tow vehicle and the trailer whenever these things have been a problem?

What is too much for a heavy duty tow vehicle when towing a trailer?

What are the warning signs I should be watching for if we should develop a problem?

Anyone out there got any experience in this?

Any comments ?

Silvertwinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 08:27 AM   #2
Rivet Master
2004 28' Classic
Currently Looking...
huntsville , Alabama
i had a chev 1 ton dully and i towed a excella 500 31ft. and that was a good towing combination. be sure your tires are balanced.
i also had a suburban 2500 and a z71 chev pu and towed the same trailer . it is like night and day the burb and pu was a pain in the but compared to the dully. if i towed a trailer with any size it would be with a dully one ton. i had "0" problems with rivets or any other structure problem. you have to take what you read on forums with a grain of salt. the one thing i did have a problem keeping the rear tires on the dully balanced. it would drop weights for some reason. the pu was not a good match for the trailer white nuckel towing. when it got to white nuckel tow in the dully it was past time to get off the road. lol

wb13798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 09:27 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member
Bill, I recently purchased a GMC 2500 HD (which is really a one ton chassis) and was concerned also until I towed the trailer. What a pleasant experience. No bounce or shake or wiggle like I had with the 1500. I am a firm believer that the tow vehicle can never be too big as long as you get the correct setup. I leave this weekend for a six thousand mile trip to New England and back. I'll let you know how things turn out when I return.
Jerry Sullivan
'01 Limited
'01 Safari
On The Road, USA
gwsullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 11:05 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member
Tire Balancing Issues

Truck tires are a PIA to balance because of size. Most places charge $25 to spin balance on the truck and if a weight pops off you got to do it all over again.....Having done this too many times I switched to a Powdered Product called is dumped into the tire[inside a bag that disenergrates and the tire refilled with air....or most truck shops have a device that blows it into the about $12.00 a's a lifetime more balancing problems..period....if you have a flat you scoup out the powder-make the repair-put the powder and air back in and off you go!....simple and cheap solution for a complex problem.....geof
geof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 01:14 PM   #5

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I just changed from a Chevy Express 1500 (half ton) van to a GMC Savana 2500 (3/4 ton) van. The biggest change I notice (other than the increased tow performance) is the fact that the Safari seems to be much more stable. I now only drop two links on the trunion bars where it was 3 with the Chevy. Dips and bumps seem to affect both the trailer and the GMC less. In the Chevy the suspension at times tended to allow too much travel when road irregularities occured.

The rougher ride of the GMC when not towing is completely removed once we hitch up. This is probably the nicest most mannered tow vehicle I have ever owned. The Vortec 6000 engine and 4.10 rear end, along with the tow/haul transmission feature, and limited slip rear end gives you a pretty nice tow package. The most interesting part is that stepping up to the 2500 from 1500 van only adds 4-5% to the cost of the vehicle.

Jack Canavera
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 07:15 PM   #6
Rivet Master
South Shore , Kentucky

[QUOTE]. I leave this weekend for a six thousand mile trip to New England and back. I'll let you know how things turn out when I return.

I'm looking forward to hearing about your trip! Take a lot of pictures!

Old 06-18-2003, 08:18 PM   #7
Rivet Master
1987 29' Sovereign
Sparta , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to wingfoot321

I also have a new GMC 2500HD Extended cab and it has Firestone steel/steel tires. ( steel wire sidewall + belts) The duallys have the same const. tires although smaller size. Mine came inflated to 50psi ( 80psi max). The steel sidewalls and bead strength reduced sidewall flex and my 29' Sovereign doesn't push the truck around at all.
wingfoot321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2003, 04:44 AM   #8
Retired Moderator
1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
Exclamation air ride

take a look at this....

might be just the thing you are looking for.

john hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2003, 06:48 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member
air hitch

check out this
Gene Wissink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2003, 05:58 PM   #10
Rivet Master
South Shore , Kentucky
Hey Guys,

Thanks for the links!

I've known about those hitches but I think I'll wait on that until I see how the trip to FLA goes.

I've only pulled the trailer once since the purchase of the truck and that was just for a test drive. I really liked the response that I felt while towing.

I think the dually wheels will make a big difference in performance.

Were planning on a weekend trip tomorrow and I must say Im ready with or without rain. We have certainly had our share of rain this year so far where we live.

Old 06-24-2003, 01:41 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member
1986 31' Sovereign
Lenox , Georgia
Like Wingfoot and Jack Canavara.....

I tow with a 2500HD 8.1 Vortec GMC 4X4. I am very, very happy with performace pulling a 31' Sovereign. I also feel you can't have "too much" pulling capacity, but you can certainly have too little. Good luck. If you are coming down I-75 on your way to Florida from Kentucky, I am 50 miles north of the Florida border. If you get in trouble, call 229/546-4652. I'll come running.

joe hall is offline   Reply With Quote