Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-29-2005, 08:54 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Waterloo , Iowa
Unhappy WARNING!! Be Alert!

Saturday we visited the Biltmor Estate in Ashevill, NC, nearby Bat Cave!!!!
Only after leaving the area, and getting ready to bed down for the night, did we discover how narrowly we escaped disaster!
Once parked for the night, I got in the fridge to pull items for supper, only to find it warm! I hollered at my husband to check it, and relight the pilot, thinking the wind had blown it out. he couldn't get the pilot to light so went on to check systems. He found someone had turned off both our LP tanks! We only had a few things in the fridge, so no big loss.... actually, nothing spoiled but ...... I was most concerned as we had some frozen medicine that must be kept frozen until ready to administer..... what if I had insulin in ther instead? What kind of person does such a sorry thing?
It bothered me even more the next morning when Bruce told me the pin that holds the hitch head into the receiver had been turned and loosened! It was possible to have dropped the trailer in the middle of the road!
Locks are now on order for the LP tanks, and the hitch pin.
Just wanted to give y'all a Head's Up.... after parking for several hours in any parking lot, do a walk around, check your hitch set up, check the refrigerator, etc. I'd sure hate for this to happen to anyone else, or to have a trailer dropped through malicious vandalism......
I still don't understand why anyone would do something like this to pure strangers...... shaking my head in disbelief.

Elizabeth in Iowa
Old 03-29-2005, 09:02 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Good reminder. I didn't know there were locks for the tanks. Where did you order them.
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 10:04 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

That's nasty. I have a lock keeping the hitch head locked into the receiver, but I got it to keep people from stealing the head while we're out & about in a town. I never thought anyone would sabotage a hitch to that extent... scary.
Ferroequine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 10:28 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
that's terrible!

Glad you noticed these things in time. Thanks for the warning and reminder to check. Goodness, makes you want to have a nanny cam so you could catch these mean spirited individuals. I think it should be reported to the police.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedars
Saturday we visited the Biltmor Estate in Ashevill, NC, nearby Bat Cave!!!!
Only after leaving the area, and getting ready to bed down for the night, did we discover how narrowly we escaped disaster!
Once parked for the night, I got in the fridge to pull items for supper, only to find it warm! I hollered at my husband to check it, and relight the pilot, thinking the wind had blown it out. he couldn't get the pilot to light so went on to check systems. He found someone had turned off both our LP tanks! We only had a few things in the fridge, so no big loss.... actually, nothing spoiled but ...... I was most concerned as we had some frozen medicine that must be kept frozen until ready to administer..... what if I had insulin in ther instead? What kind of person does such a sorry thing?
It bothered me even more the next morning when Bruce told me the pin that holds the hitch head into the receiver had been turned and loosened! It was possible to have dropped the trailer in the middle of the road!
Locks are now on order for the LP tanks, and the hitch pin.
Just wanted to give y'all a Head's Up.... after parking for several hours in any parking lot, do a walk around, check your hitch set up, check the refrigerator, etc. I'd sure hate for this to happen to anyone else, or to have a trailer dropped through malicious vandalism......
I still don't understand why anyone would do something like this to pure strangers...... shaking my head in disbelief.

Elizabeth in Iowa

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 11:36 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Shocked but, not totally surprised..This isn't your 1950's era anymore..We do have "mean minded" people in this world today.
I'd say you were very, very lucky to have caught it as you did..considering.
It pays to be aware of your surroundings and, I'm thinking now..when traveling, always keep an eye out on your unit..for example, when stopping for a quick comfort run, if possible, have someone stay back at the unit until the other one returns.
For anyone traveling alone, always let someone not traveling with you know where you're expected to be departing from and arriving..It will give you a peace of mind while traveling and might just make it easier to back-track your movements.(Let's pray/hope this is never needed~!~)
Again, thanks for the heads up..as we all head out camping this season`
ciao
53FC
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 06:54 AM   #6
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I'd love to catch some clown once, just once........
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 07:02 AM   #7
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Not unexpected

Same bunch of cretins that pull the release levers on 5th-wheels just in order to see them crash down onto the truck bed when the owner pulls away. That has become a major problem and can cost big dollars to repair.

I keep a padlock through the release lever on my hitch at all times. I also do a visual inspection of the hitch area before pulling away.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 07:14 AM   #8
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedars
He found someone had turned off both our LP tanks! What kind of person does such a sorry thing?
Elizabeth in Iowa
Well, until I read your whole post, it is possible that someone may have turned off the propane, thinking they were being a good samaritan. But that, coupled with the head pin being disturbed, leads me to believe it was most likely a teen with nothing to do, almost as bad as an unemployed lawyer.
I used to think I was being paranoid, going around and checking everything before leaving after lunch, refueling, etc. Now I realize that I may still be paranoid, but it may be justified...Is it paranoia if they really are out to get you?
Old 03-30-2005, 07:18 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
That could result in death or disability, it just has to carry a very stiff penalty and charge. If it was very prevalent in a particular area there should be increased awareness and some extra patrol.

How about one of you inventors here figure out an electric eye alarm or some such thing.

New motto for caravans, "I got your back." Travel Safe. Be careful out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
I'd love to catch some clown once, just once........

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 07:19 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Rural, blink and you'll miss it , Missouri
Is it paranoia if they really are out to get you?

Just becasue you're paranoid, doesn't mean that they aren't out to get you...

Eljay

1968 Tradewind Double.
eljay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 08:38 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
Lotsa that out there, someone unplugged the brakes on me in the past, always do a walk around when we stop. Check the wheels to feel the bearings. We keep a cable run through the gas bottles and locked to the ball hitch. Never thought about the valves..........
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 08:58 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
I would be cautious about locking the valves in an open position. I would always want to be able to shut them off quickly in an emergency.
People just need to keep hands offs your stuff.
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 09:13 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1979 30' Argosy
Armada , Michigan
And make sure to call the police in Asheville or wherever you think this happened. At least alert them to this. That's a tourist area and they don't want to get a bad name, I believe, so they may appreciate your call.

John
AYRSTRM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 09:37 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1983 31' Limited
South West BC , British Columbia
Thanks to your post I will be getting a locking head pin. I can also lock the cover to the propane tanks. Do most States allow you to travel with the the propane on? What about when refueling the tow vehicle.

Jim

1983 31' Limited
Jim and Lorraine
British Columbia
Kajendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 10:44 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Jcanavera made some excellent posts on these topics in a variety of threads a while back. I found what he & others had to say enlightening. I have not seen him online of late, so I will summarize in case he does not see this thread to comment.

I was using a locking pin for my hitch until it was pointed out that the lock adds more time to unhooking from the trailer in case of major catastrophe (like fire).

Although someone else pointed it out, I will also say it is not a good idea to lock the knobs on propane cylinders. Overlander64 shared a tale about sitting at the campground when someone else's LPG pigtail ruptured, and spewed gas everywhere. Had the valves been locked, it could have been a bad scene since the owner was not there. Its okay, though, to lock the cylinders to the trailer.

I think most states frown on driving with the LPG on. Regardless, I remember Jack indicating that he never refills his tow vehicle at a station where another RV is taking on fuel because there is a distinct possibility that that person did not turn off their gas refrigerator pilot before pulling in.

My personal fear is that someone (and it will probably be my five year old) will pull the breakaway brake line, and either run my battery down or smoke my brakes, or both. To that end, I'm thinking about putting some sort of buzzer on the system to let me know.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 10:57 AM   #16
Confused & Wandering

1993 34' Excella
Right here, , where ever I wake up
Send a message via AIM to Theo
I have had someone pull the brakaway cable on me, this trip.. That is so annoying - It can burn out the brakes, and the controller.. Fortunately, it did neither - I don't think it works... I have a CDL so I do a pre trip, every trip, but the brakaway was pulled, as I registered for a campsite, and I did not notice, until I pulled into the allocated site - I know it was pulled there, as I had pretripped the rig 30 miles earlier, and had not stopped anywhere. Get into the habit of checking everything on the rig, after every stop - the world is full of self centered, jealous fools, who think nothing of pulling a pin, or stealing from you.. You have something they do not, so they hate you.. Nice world we live in, isn't it. Makes me wonder if the 27 years I put in, for the military, was wasted time.
Old 03-30-2005, 11:09 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo
Makes me wonder if the 27 years I put in, for the military, was wasted time.
NEVER wonder that! Your efforts make our world livable, can't imagine where would wouuld be if not for the sacrifice so few have made!
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 11:28 AM   #18

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
We do a walkaround before getting back in the tow vehicle after every stop. A quick glance will tell you if all the important pins are in place, including the breakaway. I don't run with the gas on, so I usually give the handles a twist to make sure they are closed.

I only made this a habit thinking things might shake loose or fall off while travelling. Scary that anyone would actually mess with your rig in a parking lot.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 01:28 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
Rockford , Illinois
Send a message via ICQ to flamingo-kid1 Send a message via AIM to flamingo-kid1
No Way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo
You have something they do not, so they hate you.. Nice world we live in, isn't it. Makes me wonder if the 27 years I put in, for the military, was wasted time.
Jealousy has nothing to do with your service; it has to do with the general downfall of society.

Without your service, it would be a lot worse.

So thank you.
flamingo-kid1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 01:29 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
Rockford , Illinois
Send a message via ICQ to flamingo-kid1 Send a message via AIM to flamingo-kid1
and furthermore

On another note, this is a scary thread. I believe it all because I hear jealous comments about our trailer all the time. People leave notes taped to her wanting to know if she's for sale (they always say "cheap") and people also say ALL the time "I'm going to get one of these."

I think it's best to agree with one of the above posts.. We'll watch your back and you watch ours.
flamingo-kid1 is offline   Reply With Quote