Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-30-2005, 01:55 PM   #21
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomW
My personal fear is that someone (and it will probably be my five year old) will pull the breakaway brake line, and either run my battery down or smoke my brakes, or both. To that end, I'm thinking about putting some sort of buzzer on the system to let me know.
Tom,

If I may make a recommendation. Get a backup alarm and wire it to the output side of the breakaway. If the pin is pulled it would set off the alarm. The only question I would have is if the voltage to the brakes when they are working as normal back feeds into the wire that is fed by the breakaway switch.

Just a random thought....
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 02:26 PM   #22
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljay
Is it paranoia if they really are out to get you?

Just becasue you're paranoid, doesn't mean that they aren't out to get you...
I am not paranoid.
The other voices in my head are the paranoid ones!
Anon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 02:50 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewkid64
...The only question I would have is if the voltage to the brakes when they are working as normal back feeds into the wire that is fed by the breakaway switch...
Yeah, that's the part I'm struggling with. It appears that I will need a black box of electronic parts that will sound the alarm only if the juice comes from the battery wire, and NOT the brake wire.

Now that I think about it, I'm surprised I haven't seen such a device for sale. Maybe I will make one; I could list it on AirstreamBrakeLanyardPulledAlarm.com. I hope Mr. Champ doesn't catch wind of it.

Thanks,
Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 03:27 PM   #24
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska
...I keep a padlock through the release lever on my hitch at all times...
Keeping the release lever locked while in transit seems to me to be quite dangerous -- I wouldn't want to be scrambling for a key in the event of an emergency where I would need to quickly release the hitch.

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 04:03 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukionna
...I wouldn't want to be scrambling for a key in the event of an emergency where I would need to quickly release the hitch.
Actually, my plan, in the event of an emergency, is to pull the pin holding the drawbar in the receiver, disconnect the safety chains, and hit the gas pedal. My Overlander will be left with the release lever still locked to the drawbar.

Granted it is tough on the trailer jack, but at this point I would be trying to save the tow vehicle.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 04:09 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukionna
Keeping the release lever locked while in transit seems to me to be quite dangerous -- I wouldn't want to be scrambling for a key in the event of an emergency where I would need to quickly release the hitch.
I use a lock in the lever. You need to have a pin in there anyway to prevent it from opening while your driving down a bumpy road. (so you don't watch it pass you!) My plan is the same as TomW
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 04:18 PM   #27
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo
Nice world we live in, isn't it. Makes me wonder if the 27 years I put in, for the military, was wasted time.
It is a cumulative thing. many individuals together can make a big difference.
Old 03-30-2005, 05:06 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Battle Ground , Washington
I haven't had any problems traveling out here in the northwest. No one has bothered our rig. But I will keep an eye out. Thanks,
Chuck
WBCCI#7854
Hippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 06:05 PM   #29
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by balrgn
NEVER wonder that! Your efforts make our world livable, can't imagine where would wouuld be if not for the sacrifice so few have made!
Hear, Here! Thank you for your service to our country, Theo.

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 09:34 PM   #30

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomW
Jcanavera made some excellent posts on these topics in a variety of threads a while back. I found what he & others had to say enlightening. I have not seen him online of late, so I will summarize in case he does not see this thread to comment.

Tom
Tom,

I'm still around but don't have much time to devote since I'm busy getting the dome and convention center ready for the Final Four tournament.

Yes I did talk about this topic some time ago. There had been reports from some folks who stopped at resturants who had receiver hitch pins pulled while they were inside eating.

We always stay with the trailer when traveling and don't go to eat inside at resturants when towing. Our biggest reason is due to the fact that we travel with 2 dogs.

In many cases though we will overnight and will not unhitch. I always recheck everything prior to departure just in case something happens overnight while we sleep.

Folks who do this type of sabotage are pretty sick. If you are one who stops at resturants during travel time, you might consider carrying an extra hitch pin with you as a backup. Even if you catch a theft prior to departing the parking lot, it still would require you coming up with a temporary pin while you attempt to get a replacement.
Better to keep a backup. They aren't expensive.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 09:40 PM   #31
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I bought a Master Lock hitch pin. I love it. It not only locks the hitch in, but also any hitch plugs (Airstream has a real fancy $50 one that dubs as a step). At any rate, it can't be removed or modified without a key or a cutting torch.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 10:09 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
I like Tom's plan but it would break my heart to dump her. Don't travel with propane on, ever. I put cold food in a fridge prechilled the night before. A few frozen items keeps the whoel thing cold for a day of travel. I wonder if they make that snake alarm for trailers. Or better yet get a real good looking rubber rattlesnake and wrap it around the hitch.
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote