Old 04-12-2015, 08:23 AM   #1
2004 19' International CCD
Battle Ground , Washington

We have a 2004 19' International CCD. I am retiring this fall and we are thinking about trading up and getting a new or late model 23' FB or a 25 footer. We have two questions. We will also be getting a new truck. It seem like many suggest that if we go with a 25' that a Ford 150 4x4 will be very near its load limit with food, water, bikes, a generator, dog, etc. We are willing to go to a F-250 but would rather not if there is no need. Thoughts?

Secondly, we love to camp at state and national parks. We live in WA and spend our weekends in WA and OR parks. Only seldom do we overnight in private campgrounds. With retirement, we intend to spend at least a couple of months on the road every year. Obviously, the 25' has living space advantages over a 23' but we are a little concerned that many National Parks and Forest Service campgrounds cannot accommodate a truck/trailer rig that long. Again, we would welcome your observations and thoughts. This will factor into our trailer selection.

Soon we will finally be able to join in on some Airstream rallies, something that we have always wanted to do but darn work was always in the way.

nelliecbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 08:39 AM   #2
Rivet Master
2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
I wouldn't want a trailer smaller than 25' if I was going to spend any more time in it than just weekend trips, and I don't think you'll have much trouble taking a 25' almost anywhere.

A properly equipped 1/2 ton truck will be a good choice for a 25' Airstream, as long as you don't want to also carry your antique anvil collection with you.

"To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical."-- Thomas Jefferson
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 08:41 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member
2013 25' Flying Cloud
Amity , Oregon
First, there is a world of information on Air Forums about tow vehicles and specifically 1/2 ton vs 3/4 ton capabilities. We tow a 25 Flying Cloud with a 2500 Ram diesel and love the extra power and stability that it offers. The F150 EcoBoost and the 1500 Ram Eco Diesel are two alternatives that are well liked here on the Forum.

Second, our seven years of travel have taken us across country twice, to Alaska once, and we have never had a problem getting into a campground ( public or private) because of the size of our trailer. I think that if you were talking over 30' in length you may get some restrictions on size but you should be ok with a 25'.

We also started out with a 19 Bambi and it was great for weekends and a week or two here or there, but when we started being on the road for 30 days or more the corner bed was no longer acceptable. We traded in 2013 for the 25 rear twin and love it!

Safe travels!

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
"If Mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy" ... magnet on our refrigerator...
OregonVista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 08:43 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
The F 150 crew with ecoboost and max tow package is more than enough TV. The Dodge Ram eco diesel is also worth looking at. Amazing fuel economy numbers for that one.
Gearheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 08:48 AM   #5
Avion Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
As far as your truck choice is concerned, I would suggest a 3/4-ton truck. Your choice as to gas or diesel, but I like diesels best. I would wager that somewhere down the road you'll catch yourself thinking or saying, "I sure am glad we went with the 3/4-ton truck."

You said "new" truck. If you really mean "new", don't hesitate looking for a good used truck. I like the ones that an older gentleman had, low miles, and meticulously maintained. They can be found if you are patient.

Welcome! And congratulations on your pending retirement!
PaulnGina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 08:59 AM   #6
Rivet Master
2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Get a 25 the extra space will be nice if you are going to do some extended traveling. We retired a few years back and have been out for up to 6 weeks and our 25FB works great for us.

We also camp in state and national parks and haven't had much trouble getting our trailer into sites. There are some exceptions but reserving on line is helpful since they give information about pad size.

We tow with a 2008 Tundra and it is a great match for the 25. The things you listed shouldn't cause much trouble with a half ton limited payload. Food goes in the trailer, bikes don't weigh much and ours ride in the Fiamma rack on the back of the trailer. We take along a generator and some extra water and on occasion, a little fire wood. Make sure you have good LT tires as the P radials are not as strong under load.

We got our 2006 in 2009 after more than a year of looking. Found it on Craigs list and had to drive to Boise to pick it up. We also have a good case of 2 footitis and would love a 27. If you are patient you should be able to find a good used 25 out there. The new trailers have ducted air now and I sense many folks are ready to move up. We like our 25FB and would do it all over again.

Good luck in your hunt.
aftermath is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 09:16 AM   #7

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

We have extensive Airstreaming experience with both of the models that you are considering. We started our Airstreaming with a brand new 2005 Safari 25FB. We camped in this Airstream for eight years, spending 1,400 nights in it, and towing it over 120,000 miles all over the country.

In 2013, we decided to downsize, and traded for a slightly used 2012 Flying Cloud 23FB. We camped in this Airstream 150 nights and towed it 15,000 miles. After a three month long trip to Washington and Oregon, we decided that the 23 was not quite right for our camping style.

In October of 2014, we traded for a new 2015 Flying Cloud 25FB. We were back home in a floor plan that we knew worked for us. Thus far, we have spent 60 nights in it and have towed it 5,000 miles. We are very pleased with our decision to go back to a 25.

As far a tow vehicles go, we have had two different 3/4 ton Suburbans and a one ton diesel pick-up truck. We have always maintained two tow vehicles because we travel so much. We currently have a Suburban and the Silverado. All have worked very well for us. There are many Airforums members who tow their 25 foot Airstreams successfully with half ton trucks and SUV's. Selection of a tow vehicle depends to a great extent on how far you plan to go and how much stuff you want to carry.

SuEllyn & Brian McCabe
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2011 Silverado 3500 (Fred) with Outfitter Truck Camper (Ethel)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 09:39 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member
2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
After we retired and bought our first Airstream we thought we would spend a few months a year traveling with it. For the last six years we have been spending 6-7 months each year, making several cross-country trips and spending winters in the Southwest.

The 25' Airstream and Ram 1500 is well-matched for us using a ProPride hitch to stabilize the rig. We understand the weight limits of the combination and manage them without difficulty. It's too easy to collect stuff you don't need when traveling, avoid it, travel light. The truck is a nice daily driver when not towing.

ckottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 09:50 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
We do 2-3 months several times a year. Once staying put and once moving every day or so. We opted for the 30' after trying a 25', for us just not big enough and we wanted recliners and not a dinette to read and watch TV from. A 25' can be converted as we did it, but it's tight and you loose the dinette. We also opted for the Diesel, this time a 1 Ton. I like the pulling and stopping of a diesel. If the largest you want to go is 25', then I believe the Ford 1/2 Ton EcoBoost is fine, which is what we used on our 2010 25'. She did a great job.

Bud & Alice (Bud posts)
Abby- Black Lab-TDI Certified
Hopey-Yellow Lab-TDI Certified
2017 30' Classic
2015 F350 6.7 Diesel Crew Cab
USAF - Military Training Instructor (TI) - 68-72
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 04:25 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member
We have the 25fb flying cloud. Started out towing with a 2012 tundra with the big v8 and 4wd and in my opinion it was not the ideal vehicle. Mileage was terrible. The transmission got a real workout in the Texas hill country. I traded for a 2014 F250 diesel. What a difference! Plenty of power, 13-15 mpg and you don't feel it dragging you down. The f250 has the factory trailer brake as well.

Going from a 23' to a 25' nearly doubles the tongue weight and you can definitely tell the difference between the two vehicles. The tundra has around 10000 towing capacity while the 250 has around 18000. With the tundra you are close to capacity on tongue weight.

My advice is go bigger. You never hear anyone complain about too much power.....

My $0.02.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Hiway Hanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 04:30 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member
2014 25' FB International
Bryant , Arkansas
Been happy with how my 2014 F150 super crew pulls my 25' international. From time to time it will struggle up big hills. F150 you will be happy with but I think with a f250 you would be ecstatic.
2014 25' International Onyx edition
2014 F150 SuperCrew
StreamAholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 07:09 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member
2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Seeing that people are successfully towing mid-size Airstreams with SUV's, light duty trucks, and heavy duty trucks it is more about individuals than tow vehicles.

The problem is not which one will work, but which one will work for you, and then getting it set up properly for you and your gear. For example the bikes ride nicely on the back of the Airstream, the generator in the truck bed, and the dog wherever he wants.

ckottum is offline   Reply With Quote