Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-20-2009, 02:23 AM   #181
3 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
Lake Charles , Louisiana
Use of Walmart parking lots

We made use of Walmart parking lots back in December, after picking up our new AS in Los Angeles. Two days from Louisiana to LA to pick up the new trailer and then two days to get to Sante Fe, NM. Encountered high winds, dust storms and icy roads during the trip. Walmart parking lots were a welcome sight after a long day of pulling. We just pulled in among the other RV's, did our shopping inside and had a good night sleep. I thank Sam Walton for his MANY stores.....steve
Steve & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 09:25 AM   #182
3 Rivet Member

2008 16' Bambi
New York , New York
We also stayed in Walmart last Dec, in NC, and spent money there that would not have been spent had we not stayed
ITsIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 10:27 AM   #183
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Colville , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by TankerIP View Post
We stayed at a Walmart only once. We were in a terrible thunderstorm and just climbed in the trailer late at night, not wanting to get wet going in the store. We never asked anyone, but did park between two 5th wheelers, hoping if they could do it we would be okay too. Next morning just a sunrise were on our way out.

In contacting management, do you just go to the service center at the front of the store?

No need to ask, just park in the outer limits of the lot away from the main traffice. Use it for overnight parking, not long term camping (setting up the slide outs, grill, awning, stealing power from the outlet on the light poles, etc. - You'd be suprised by how many people do this)
2001 Honda XR650R
Currently Looking...for an Avion Truck Camper (or a Classic Argosy MoHo)

"In regione caecorum rex est luscus." GP
GreatPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 09:22 PM   #184
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
I've napped at a couple of Wal-Marts. I asked the manager (or whoever was in charge) both times, and one even directed us to, what he considered to be, the quietest area of the parking lot, away from the trucks and the local kids, who congregated late at night.
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 09:46 PM   #185
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatPumpkin View Post
No need to ask, just park in the outer limits of the lot away from the main traffic.
Probably a good idea to ask, though, in case you missed the little sign out at the far corner of the lot that says, "Overnight parking prohibited - Municipal Ordinance xx-xxx Fine $500"

(And yes, I have seen such a sign at a Wal Mart.)
Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 06:47 PM   #186
Rivet Master

BRADENTON, On The Picturesque and Sunny West Coast of Florida, , USA, PLANET EARTH, MILKY WAY, LOCAL GROUP, SPIRALING SLOWLY THROUGH THE UNIVERSE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuvite-F View Post
Probably a good idea to ask, though, in case you missed the little sign out at the far corner of the lot that says, "Overnight parking prohibited - Municipal Ordinance xx-xxx Fine $500"

I agree absolutely! It's just plain courtesy to ask. I usually push my cart up to the service desk and ask for a manager. Not only do I always get permission and directed to the local "best" spot, but am often THANKED for bothering to ask.

We NEVER put down the jacks, awning or anything else. We are prepared to pull away immediately if we should be asked to do so. We have moved during the night when an 18 wheeler pulls up beside us and idles the engine all night.

If there is a parking lot patrol, I always make a point of introducing myself and asking them to keep an eye on us. We've never had a problem at any Wal*Mart, though some are busy all night.

After an early breakfast and a quick trip to the store's restrooms, we're on our way.

-John
N2XBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 07:26 AM   #187
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Colville , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuvite-F View Post

Good point on that - unfortunately those signs are only placed when/where the city has passed some ordinance or law restricting parking, not due to Walmart's rules.

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2XBW View Post
I agree absolutely! It's just plain courtesy to ask. I usually push my cart up to the service desk and ask for a manager. Not only do I always get permission and directed to the local "best" spot, but am often THANKED for bothering to ask.

-John
John you are absolutely correct on the courtesy issue - and most people fail to do so. But it's a two edged sword sometimes. While I do appreciate it when someone asks, oftentimes I am quite busy dealing with other issues. Being called up to the service desk to deal with minor routine items can sometimes be a source of irritation after the 20th such call a day . (You might be supprised to know how many people think they need the manager to handle routine requests/problems/etc. every single day!)

On another note - even asking (at a Fred Meyer, not Walmart) one night didn't help. I got permission from the "manager", but got rousted at 3 am by some Barney Fife wannabe that wouldn't go away.
2001 Honda XR650R
Currently Looking...for an Avion Truck Camper (or a Classic Argosy MoHo)

"In regione caecorum rex est luscus." GP
GreatPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 07:48 AM   #188
Rivet Master

1996 34' Limited
1976 31' Sovereign
1983 31' Excella
Greeneville , Tennessee
Parking At Stores of All Types

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatPumpkin View Post
No need to ask, just park in the outer limits of the lot away from the main traffice. Use it for overnight parking, not long term camping (setting up the slide outs, grill, awning, stealing power from the outlet on the light poles, etc. - You'd be suprised by how many people do this)
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXX
I can tell for a fact that I know 4 store managers in different areas all work for different stores, WalMart, Miejers, Food City, Krogers, and all say they do not have a problem with campers overnight except for those who dont have the courtsey to ask, and they have all had campers towed just because they did not ask.

Sarge
SARGE/AF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 07:59 AM   #189
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
I spent a night near a parking lot at a WalMart once. The city fathers had passed an ordinance prohibiting overnight parking, but they were a little too specific, as they spelled out what constituted a "parking lot". After the store manager gleefully explained this, he directed me to an unpaved spot next to the paved parking lot, where I spent the night without incident, and stocked up on some food and personal items while I was there.
Old 07-23-2009, 08:02 AM   #190
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
You guys are making this far to hard. When I am traveling through I stop 90%+ of the time in a Wal Mart, Flying J, or Cracker Barrel. The only reason I would consider a campground is if it is above 80 degrees and humid.

Now that said years ago the I did ask waiters in a Cracker Barrel in Oh if it was OK. She did not answer but just walked away. 5 mins. latter the manager came over and asked. I hear you want to stay in a Cracker Barrel tonight. I said yes but we would roll another 2 o3 hours and then stop. He said good because I do not recommend you stay here. Why I asked. Well do you see how the restaurant is sitting 50 ft above the highway. The prostitutes sit up here and work the truckers with their CBs. The cops raid the lot several time each night.

I thanked him for his advise and went down the road.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 08:25 AM   #191
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Nuvite-F
I have notice that Our Local Wal-Mart (Holke RD and I70) has SANDYS on call ( I know you know who I mean) and has erected signs that say NO PARKING of Trucks or RV's. I am going to ask the manager on Friday when I am in there.
They have always permitted truck parking on the southside of the lot next to the interstate . I will check and report back, as to wheather this is a local thing or Corperate.
Roger
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 09:05 AM   #192
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
A couple of years ago while in Las Vegas I just stopped to buy something at the Wal mart store and the security guard was right on us before the wheels stopped turning on the trailer.
We had no intention on spending the night anyway, so no harm done, but you might be hard pressed to find a Walmart in that area that allows an overnight stay. We had planned ahead and the hotel we were staying at in town let us park our trailer and truck behind their hotel.
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 09:18 AM   #193
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluto View Post
A couple of years ago while in Las Vegas I just stopped to buy something at the Wal mart store and the security guard was right on us before the wheels stopped turning on the trailer.
We had no intention on spending the night anyway, so no harm done, but you might be hard pressed to find a Walmart in that area that allows an overnight stay. We had planned ahead and the hotel we were staying at in town let us park our trailer and truck behind their hotel.
Parking at Wal Mart is against Nevada State Law. It is not Wal Marts choise.

If you get a Family Motor Coach Atlas it will list every Wal Mart in the country you can stay at. There are only about 200 that you can not. Some by law and those in south Fl. where you will be killed. But the thousands of others are OK

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 10:04 AM   #194
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Thanks HowieE, I learn something new everyday on this site.
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 07:38 PM   #195
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by SARGE/AF View Post
I can tell for a fact that I know 4 store managers in different areas all work for different stores, WalMart, Miejers, Food City, Krogers, and all say they do not have a problem with campers overnight except for those who dont have the courtsey to ask, and they have all had campers towed just because they did not ask.

Sarge
On the other hand, some friends of ours needed a place to leave their fifth wheel overnight (without them in it) and asked the manager of a Kroger store if they could leave it in their parking lot. The manager said, sure, no problem.

When they came back the fifth wheel and tow vehicle were gone. They asked in the Kroger store and they didn't know anything about it. Next they called the cops and were told it had been towed. They went to the towing company to retrieve them (at beaucoup expense, needless to say) and the towing company said they were called by the owner of the shopping center where the Kroger was located. Turns out it was their policy not to allow overnight parking--but they never told anyone about it, just towed them away. There were no warning signs, either.

Moral: Be careful out there.
Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 09:10 PM   #196
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
I checked with the local Wal-Mart manager today. Wal-Mart is at the intersection of I 70 and Hoke Rd Englewood OHIO . The manager said they welcome RV's " Just let us know you are out there" were the exact words. The city banned all Commerical Vechiles from there except for deliverys. It was not Wal-Marts Choice. But I am sure Wal-Mart is pleased because the trucks were tearing up the asphalt with thier tight turns and knockin down trees an breakin the curbs in the landscape.
The manager did have a smile when she answer my question.We all know what that smile meant TOO $$$$$$
Roger
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 11:05 AM   #197
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
We are not close to either of the interstates that run into Atlanta so I wouldn't expect the Wal-Mart in our community to get too many wanting to stay overnight. However, local statute prohibits the practice in our town. There is a police station in the mega-strip shopping center where our Wal-Mart is located so it would be hard to get away with it.

Having said all of that, I went to the Florida State Rally (WBCCI) in February. I considered staying at the Wal-Mart near by for the night before checking in at the rally, but I wouldn't have stayed without shopping and figured I can't get out of Wal-Mart without spending at least $20 and there wasn't anything I really needed so I opted to stay at Rivers State Park about 20 miles from the rally site. It was a great state park and only cost $18 for the night plus I did have a dump station to empty my tanks before heading to the rally...something the Wal-Mart wouldn't have had.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 12:04 PM   #198
3 Rivet Member

1988 32.5' Airstream 325
calgary , alberta
Last year about this time I was on my way to Rochester from Woodstock Ontario had fuel pump problem in Buffalo. I stopped in a Wal- mart parking lot and asked if I could Leave the 325mh overnite, They gladly helped me park ,and the security person said he would keep an eye on it . The staff at this were unreal ,If you get permission they are great!!
jhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 03:31 PM   #199
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Walmart still good choice

This trip was 3 wks+ only stayed at Walmarts 3X all were as good as most CG's for traveling stops with the differences being no utilities but on the other hand very clean bathrooms and better shopping. Last one was just off I85 and the night shift guard circled all night, more light and protection than Ohio State Park CG where we didn't see ranger after checking in for 6 days.
MH makes it easy to use Walmarts as long as we don't need dumping, water or electric. All sites are pull thru, level and paved
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 07:20 AM   #200
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Altoona , Florida
Wink New York, New York

Walmart has been RV friendly for years but RVer's have taken this benifit over the edge by leaving trash - dumping sewage - you name it. We are slowly losing this perk!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	011.JPG
Views:	253
Size:	117.6 KB
ID:	84773  
Poprivet is offline   Reply With Quote