Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-18-2018, 07:24 AM   #1081
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
We've used our Airstreams primarily for camping so far, but, living in the west, we also think of it as our emergency bug-out machine in case of fire. Knock on wood, so far we've hever had to use it in this way.

Lynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
Different sub-topic - what it looks like to have one thousand people Wallydocking all at one time. In a single Walmart.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article...ing-lot-photos
Old 11-18-2018, 08:29 AM   #1082
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Is it the end of War Mart moochdocking?

Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 09:36 AM   #1083
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
A few years ago we made a 3 month long trip from the east coast to Alaska. We took our time and spent a few nights along the road through BC and Yukon. We stayed at a private CG for 3 nights while at Whitehorse, YK and while there noticed the local Walmart store allowed overnight RV parking and it looked like a slum neighborhood. Lots of RV's of all sorts settled in for the long haul with tables / chairs and awnings in use. BBQ set outside. It really looked bad and I was surprised that the store and / or the city allowed this to happen. A really negative image displayed here. I have stayed at WM's and others and will continue but it should never come to this.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 10:29 AM   #1084
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
It’s possible that set up was a temporary response to a disaster of some sort.

I have traveled now in all of the lower 48 states, and probably been in at least one WalMart in each of them, tho overnights are occasional, and have never seen what looked like a semi-permanent encampment.

I have to believe they are, far and away, the exception rather than the rule.

Maggie
Old 11-18-2018, 11:14 AM   #1085
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Well said, Maggie. Walmart store managers will still have the option of permitting parking for 4-8 hours on a case-by-case basis IMO, especially if you are shopping or using the cafe. They don't like the "bad apples," who ruin it for everyone, any more than we do.

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 07:56 AM   #1086
3 Rivet Member

2005 34' Classic
tucson , Arizona
The WalMart at Anthem 20 miles north of Phoenix now has a sign that states "no overnight parking".
I went inside on our last trip to northern AZ and asked the night MOD if we could park(way down there out of the way) until morning. Her reply was 'well i can't stop you.." I was polite and spent money and thanked her but it's a definite change in attitude and policy from years previous.
dvgofaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 09:28 AM   #1087
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Mentioned last year the Walmart in Helena looked like a shanty town with several run down RVers some folks staying in old vans, and some in beat up old trailers...week of that and they were kicked out, only to move across the street into the next shopping center parking lot...this went on for about a week I was told...We don't stay in Walmart parking lots but good to know we can if needed. I would call ahead as many suggest, if your planning on that overnight stay there.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 08:40 AM   #1088
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Garner, , North Carolina
or at least make a call to local police to let them know this guy might be having a problem with his hose or that something is leaking out of the vehicle and not sure if it is gas or what!!!. that usually bring someone out to check on them at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreamNTyme View Post
You should have left them a serious note regarding their responsibility! That is terrible. This will ruin parking for everyone. Totally shameful.
WBCCI#1691, Piedmont Airstream Club, Unit #161, Region #3
carl2591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 10:14 AM   #1089
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Or...knock on their door yourself, see if they are aware their hose is on the ground, and offer to help rectify the situation.

Maggie
Old 11-22-2018, 10:41 AM   #1090
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
FYI the "hose" being discussed may be the one mentioned in Post #1066 on 6/24/18?

[click on orange arrow in quote to go to that post, and also see the attached photo]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSquared View Post
. . .
Yes, that is a sewer dump hose connect to the belly, with one end lying on the pavement.
. . .
Yuck!

Not the best segue, maybe, to wishing everyone a great Thanksgiving?

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 09:32 AM   #1091
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
You've got to be kidding.... a "breaking news" selfie-video bemoaning potential loss by Airstream-owners of free WalMart camping? Geesh. I might have to sell it just to avoid the association...

(I wonder if dumping the hose in a WalMart parking lot might be a mirror-comment on their treatment of their employees?)
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 07:34 AM   #1092
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxite View Post
You've got to be kidding.... a "breaking news" selfie-video bemoaning potential loss by Airstream-owners of free WalMart camping? ...
What annoys me about the vid is that it's 15 minutes long! If there IS news to deliver, clearly those presenters are far more interested in hearing themselves talk than they are in delivering it. I got about 4 minutes in, and gave up on the effort. That's four minutes of my life that I'll never get back.

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 11:47 AM   #1093
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Oh dear. Last night I caught a Moho dumping black tanks at a nearby Walmart. Their security cameras evidently had already seen it because the police came roaring up and surrounded him. Spoke to a manager at the store who says the moho owner will have to pay all the cleanup costs AND a big fine... and this store will stop allowing overnight parking.

I say he ought to have it all pumped back inside his lovely moho... and I don't mean into the tanks. 150 gallon black tanks
Old 06-11-2019, 02:00 PM   #1094
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
Oh dear. Last night I caught a Moho dumping black tanks at a nearby Walmart. Their security cameras evidently had already seen it because the police came roaring up and surrounded him. Spoke to a manager at the store who says the moho owner will have to pay all the cleanup costs AND a big fine... and this store will stop allowing overnight parking.

I say he ought to have it all pumped back inside his lovely moho... and I don't mean into the tanks. 150 gallon black tanks
Good catch. Sadly, this is exactly why we can't have nice things.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 11:27 PM   #1095
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:

Hi, that's absolutely horrible. I used to say that I can't believe someone would do that, but now I have to believe anything people do.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 12:07 AM   #1096
4 Rivet Member

2013 28' International
Bozeman , Montana
Quote:

Wow, just wow. Where did this happen? The bad apples spoil it for all as we see more overnight parking restrictions and boondocking areas shrinking.

Reminds me of the Dave Matthews Band bus unloading their black tank on a bridge over the Chicago River. There was a tour boat under the bridge and passengers got hit with 800 pounds of waste. The driver that did the dumping had a $10,000 fine. https://www.newsweek.com/dave-matthe...rs-ago-1064129
HeadWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 02:49 AM   #1097
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Wenatchee , Washington
Walmart has just about the best cameras out there (fortunately!).
WBCCI #7180
21Airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 04:28 AM   #1098
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
My sister visited a winery in California where the owner allowed a moho to stay overnight, and found that when it left in the morning they had left 150 gallons of stuff in a ditch on the road out. We all know that CA has lots of public health laws... and the winery's owner had to pay over $1200 to have the ditch cleared and rehabbed. Now no RVs are allowed on the property. He had no pictures or license plates to catch the offenders. If I see this behavior again I sure as fate will use the phone's camera and call the police. Creeps like this spoil it for everyone. It has been 150 years or so since they figured out that typhus and typhoid were both caused by fecal contamination of drinking water. A modern doctor.might not be able.to diagnose it.
Old 06-12-2019, 04:37 AM   #1099
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
As long as people are taught that you have not done anything wrong unless you get caught, this type of thing will happen. Too many today haveno self respect or respect for others. It is me only.!
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 06:48 AM   #1100
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
What an awful thing to do. This is a terrible thought, but I wonder how many times they did this, and where they did it, before getting caught.