Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-06-2017, 05:08 AM   #921
4 Rivet Member

2004 22' Safari
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by GettinAway View Post
Cabelas is getting bought out by Bass Pro Shop. I would imagine there are a few of those in FL. Hopefully they will have the same policy, but may not have a dump station. We are Cabelas shoppers, and hoping the merger with Bass Pro won't take them down too far. (In quality and customer service.)
I had long been a Cabela's fan, but my daughter moved from Albuquerque to Phoenix so we have had occasion to visit there a lot.

That location has both a Bass Pro Shop and a Cabela's.

I find that although I had been a fan of Cabela's, I like Bass Pro Shops better (I don't fish Bass... only trout with a fly rod).

I think you should find that Bass Pro will not "take them down too far..." but actually improve them and bring them up a notch or two. At least I hope so since they are about halfway done with new Cabela's in Albuquerque and we don't have a Bass Pro Shop around. They had announced the build of the Cabela's before the sale, and still continued with the build despite the new ownership, so I think Bass Pro is committed to keep both chains at the top of the market.
Silver.Sanctuary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 06:04 AM   #922
4 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
Signal Mountain , Tennessee
The Basspro Shop on I-20 East of Birmingham at the Leeds exit allowed us to stay overnight last fall. They just asked us to park in the upper lot.
TN,”Greenest State in the Land of the Free”.Davy Crocket
" America is not a place;it's a road." Mark Twain
Tn Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 04:34 PM   #923
Rivet Master

2009 25' FB Classic
Scottsdale , Arizona
We have stayed at a lot of Walmart across this great land of ours. The big thing that we see that make us suck is RV's in the parking lot with BQQ's going chairs out tables up like you would if you were in a RV park or camp grounds Folks this is a act of kindness on their part allowing us to park not camp over night. Please don't abuse it.
Old 05-04-2017, 05:33 PM   #924

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We have done a lot of Wal-Marting over the years, and feel the same way as you do. We have been embarased a couple of times by other RVers who are cooking in the parking lot with the awning out and a rug and chairs under the awning. On one occasion, we were super embarrased as one of the "campers" was an Airstreamer.

I'm afraid that inconsiderate dopey people will ruin for the rest of us.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 06:02 PM   #925
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Calgary , Alberta
We have both a Cabela's and BPS bit Bass has said that both chains will keep their presence as before. Now if they had only opened one of those shops in SOUTH Calgary instead of both being in the far north, we'd have something going. I notice the Walmart in Cranbrook BC has no over nighting sign, but that could be because the lot is a shared one.
Poodle and two cats!
Masondood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 01:11 PM   #926
3 Rivet Member

2009 22' Interstate
St. Paul , Minnesota
Parking Lot Camping.

Sooo, We've been told that Walmart, Cracker Barrel, and R.E.I., to name three retailers, allow overnight camper parking in their lots. Is this a tacit, unwritten policy by these stores, or is it openly encouraged? If openly welcome, do the stores have any wording on their websites that address this? How does one learn more about this? We're new AI owners and new to motor-homing. Any input is appreciated.

Tim
3bcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 01:15 PM   #927
3 Rivet Member

2005 34' Classic
tucson , Arizona
Not sure about REI and Cracker Barrel but we've used Walmart. Be sure to check in with the Manager just to be a good neighbor, they will likely direct you to a distant part of the lot.
dvgofaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 01:24 PM   #928
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Huntersville , North Carolina
Always ask. However, I know that in the Allstays App, for example, Walmarts are reviewed/listed as either "No Overnight" parking or "Ask to Park".

So that's at least a place to start.

"To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring -- it was peace." M. Kundera
Ruffn It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 01:26 PM   #929
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Huntersville , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffn It View Post
I know that in the Allstays App, for example,
That's the AllStays "Camp and RV" version - I think there are others.

"To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring -- it was peace." M. Kundera
Ruffn It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 01:46 PM   #930
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
You should always ask. In most cases, the outlets mentioned have control of their parking areas, but in some cases, a mall or other authority controls their parking and may not allow overnighting. In other cases, there may be local ordinances that prohibit it. The local management will know.

If you do stay overnight, proper etiquette is to not deploy slideouts, awnings, grills, and/or leveling jacks. i.e. keep a very low profile.

You should always give them some business. I stop at Flying J's and always either buy fuel or eat there. I have also stopped at big rural truck stops where I could pull off the pavement well away from the idling trucks.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 01:49 PM   #931
2 Rivet Member

1979 28' Airstream Excella 28
Albuquerque , New Mexico
I've stayed at Walmart many nights. You can let the manager know you are in their lot overnight, but usually even that isn't necessary.

Truck stops can be good too. proper showers are nice.
kyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 02:14 PM   #932
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Cracker Barrel, yes. It's our favorite. I don't go anywhere without multiple copies of the Cracker Barrel paper map that they have available next to every cash register in every store.

Direct link to no-park Walmarts (we don't like Wallydocking because noisy big rigs tend to park there as well).
http://www.walmartlocator.com/no-park-walmarts/

Cabela's yes. Some of them even have free dump stations.

TxDOT safety rest areas, yes, as long as you do not appear to be "camping". Keep a low, low profile.
http://www.txdot.gov/driver/travel/rest-areas-map.html

Other rest areas in other states, some of them emphatically no. As in, they'll call the cops on you. It depends on the jurisdiction.

Truck stops... many of them, yes. It depends on the location. Our favorite: the indie known as Dysart's in Bangor Maine. It's my launchpad into Canada - where I pick up everything I need before crossing the border, including propane which is almost impossible to come by in eastern Canada.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 02:44 PM   #933
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
St. Louis , Missouri
I'm surprised no one mentioned Camping World. Many have free overnight parking, and some with dump stations and even some with hookups.

Usually Cracker Barrel has "RV Parking ===>" signs posted if available. Their slots are fine for MH, but not long enough for TV and TT.

Good Sam membership includes discounts at Camping World, and on gas at many Flying J and Pilot truck stops. Truck stops are always good for free overnight parking. I can sleep between two diesel trucks rumbling all night, but it's not so easy for DW.

Some of the best free camping we've had on the road came by asking the locals where to park. Pull into an independent motel, and ask the desk clerk if they know where you can park overnight. One motel offered us a quiet spot behind their restaurant where we plugged in for free. Another sent us to a free local campground that had a spectacular view that we woke to the next morning. Too bad we had to get back on the road so soon.
Old 05-08-2017, 03:32 PM   #934
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Suggest you check ahead on Walmart. We've seen a few too many Walmart parking lots posted for no overnight parking. As Pahaska noted, this may be the policy of the mall management or municipality rather than Walmart itself.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 03:37 PM   #935
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
. . . where I pick up everything I need before crossing the border, including propane which is almost impossible to come by in eastern Canada.
Propane is available in Canada at most Costco stores. Several of the smaller chains of gas/diesel also dispense propane.
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
WBCCI 8080
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 03:54 PM   #936
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
My favorite is Cracker Barrel, but to your question I don't believe any literature exists regarding the free parking policy at CB or WM. Both are always welcoming however some local ordinances prevent overnight parking causing a different situation. I always call before arrival.
TAC FL-47
2018 Nissan Titan XD Cummins Diesel
Mrjkq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 06:06 PM   #937
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
The WM that prohibit overnight parking are probably close to a private campground that complains to the city.
LoLoHo, Airstreamers from YouTube say to call WM. They've never been turned down after calling.

I spent one night in a WM in Kansas and didn't like it. I could hear cars zipping by all night. But there were at least five other RV's there too. I did like Flying J, not in the truck lot, but the RV section.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 12:09 AM   #938
4 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Manteca , California
The Walmart in the city of Manteca, CA, recently prohibits all overnight parking for any vehicle, rv or semi truck. Best to locate stores along your travels and call ahead.

2016 27 Flying Cloud FB
2005 GMC Yukon XL 2500 4x4, Equal-i-zer Hitch, 4.10 axle ratio.
4riveteers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 04:00 AM   #939
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
It's definitely a city ordinance thing here in Jupiter, FL, not because of something like a nearby campground complaining. No overnight parking at Walmart.
SeaLevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 04:45 AM   #940
4 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Mohnton , Pennsylvania
Walmart overnight parking

We thought we would never overnight at Walmart, Cracker Barrel, etc. But last year on long travel day cross country heading to PNW we joined the Walmart moochdocker club.
While using AllStays RV app is our primary camp directory....location, location, location is the key to our best experiences. Most Walmart Supercenters are located just off busy highways and Interstate routes but frequently many can be found (via AllStays reviewers comments) in less congested quiet locations which leads to a more pleasant overnight.
As most previously stated....we always shop when we overnight.

One Walmart in Nevada was memorable....parked along distant edge with a grassy hill right out the door and short walk down the hill to Starbucks with free wifi and the wonderful aroma of fresh coffee a constant in the air and next morning very convenient for quick on the go breakfast! Cracker Barrel in Amarillo Texas....while convenient....was extremely noisy and too many greasy food smells from too many fast food businesses nearby ...but great for shady spot and free wifi. Just like camping at campgrounds....if considering using Walmart....pick two possible locations with AllStays app for a backup plan.
We have never phone called ahead nor sought out WM managers but rarely are we the only camper in the parking lot and quite often are surprised at the number of arrivals when we depart early next morning.
FCloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote