Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-14-2011, 05:53 AM   #401
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman54 View Post
I like this plan the best, there endless places to park out where no one would bother you as long as you don't look like you are staking a claim.

On the other Hand. We camped in a Chevrolet dealer ship lot once, most expensive night we ever had:
full tank of gas.........................$85.00
people with ideas..................... $00.00
tow truck for truck and camper...$145.00
camping at dealer lot with bright
lights and view of nice new cars...$00.00
breakfast at Perkins 4 hr.s later...$28.00
new fuel pump and u-joints.........$830.00
Total.......................................$1088. 00

[Definitely cheaper to stay at the cemetery! People sleep better there to!]
And they are real quiet. Sal.
TAC N.J. 17
WBCCI 24740
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 07:53 AM   #402
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Other benefits? I would think that anyone would like the attraction of a beautifully restored vintage airstream sitting in their parking lot. I remember pulling into a lot to look at restored Model T, and then after we got out and walked around, we decided just to go into the store since we were already there.

I wonder if the overhead lights from a Walmart parking lot would be enough to help charge the solar cells on a AS rooftop.
robwok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 09:02 AM   #403
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Solar from Walmart Lights

It depends on the location. I have digital gauges and noticed on a late shopping trip the solar was reading almost 12V under the lamps at Canadian Tire. That would not be strong enough to charge or maintain charge if you were consuming power. But it shows that there is potential for some limited energy gain.
Maybe the tempered glass on the solar should really be a FRESNEL LENS to magnify the light source.

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by robwok View Post
Other benefits? I would think that anyone would like the attraction of a beautifully restored vintage airstream sitting in their parking lot. I remember pulling into a lot to look at restored Model T, and then after we got out and walked around, we decided just to go into the store since we were already there.
Quote:

I wonder if the overhead lights from a Walmart parking lot would be enough to help charge the solar cells on a AS rooftop.
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 11:19 AM   #404
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
I was just thinking since they don't offer hookups, it might be a way to extend things just a little bit. Sometimes you just need to make it until the next day.
Old 03-16-2011, 12:38 PM   #405
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Walmart Solar

I don't think the charge from overhead lamps could ever be depended on to keep a battery anywhere near full charge. Most large panels are polycrystalline and less efficient in low light.

No harm in leaving the solar circuit on, as the controller will only allow connection, if the battery falls below the solar charge.
Dave
"Monocrystalline Panels
  • Of the three basic solar panel types--monocrystalline, polycrystalline and amorphous--monocrystalline is the most efficient in collecting solar energy and therefore somewhat more effective in regions with low sunlight. As the name suggests, they are made from a single large silicon crystal cut from an ingot. Polycrystalline panels use many small crystals to form the collection surface, while amorphous, or thin film, solar panels consist of silicon particles applied to the surface of large plates. Monocrystalline panels, while more efficient, are only slightly so. They are also the most expensive of the three types."

masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 04:02 PM   #406
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Quote:
I was just thinking since they don't offer hookups, it might be a way to extend things just a little bit. Sometimes you just need to make it until the next day.
With all day driving, it would be easier to add a charge line if there isn't one already hooked to the trailer battery. Anybody with a full battery should be able to boondock overnight, if not, time to add another battery.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 04:07 PM   #407
4 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
Pulaski , Tennessee
Quote:
If you need to stay more than an evening maybe you should find someplace else to camp.
07' Classic 31, 11' Dodge 3500 Cummins
au_ee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 04:20 PM   #408
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Abusing Walmart by staying more than one night can put an end to their charity. They do not have to let us stay. zz
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 04:22 PM   #409
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
check out this weblink

No Overnight Parking at Walmart | Walmart Atlas
A W Warn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 04:24 PM   #410
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
I'm not sure that anybody was really suggesting staying more than a night. (The title of the thread is Walmart Overnight Parking.) Robwok was just wondering if the parking lot lights at WM would help to extend batteries via solar a smidgen.

Lynn
Old 03-16-2011, 04:31 PM   #411
4 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
Pulaski , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by eubank View Post
I'm not sure that anybody was really suggesting staying more than a night. (The title of the thread is Walmart Overnight Parking.) Robwok was just wondering if the parking lot lights at WM would help to extend batteries via solar a smidgen.

Lynn
If I misread then I certainly apologize.
Old 03-16-2011, 04:35 PM   #412
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
You're cool, no problems. zz
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 07:30 AM   #413
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
yes, it was really that I heard that if you have a furnace, not a catalytic, the furnace fan may have to run all night, and for some, that may drain the batteries too much, and you'd wake up to dead batteries, or those that went too far. It was pretty much just that scenario I was thinking of.
Old 03-17-2011, 07:33 AM   #414
4 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
Pulaski , Tennessee
Quote:
yes, it was really that I heard that if you have a furnace, not a catalytic, the furnace fan may have to run all night, and for some, that may drain the batteries too much, and you'd wake up to dead batteries, or those that went too far. It was pretty much just that scenario I was thinking of.
We must be one of the few that don't run the furnace at night. Comforters work great! Of course, you know who gets up to turn the furnace on in the morning!!!
Old 03-23-2011, 03:12 PM   #415
Road Geezer

2011 27' FB Flying Cloud
San Jose , California
For anyone traveling in California, many of the state parks here have a "en route" option. You'll see it somewhere on the park's website or on a sign at the entrance. Simply put, it allows dry camping in the park's day use or overflow parking lot when the rest of the sites are occupied. You still pay and you must leave by 9:00 AM the next morning, but you have access to the restrooms, dump station, etc. It's a good option when there's nothing else around.
Road Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 12:14 PM   #416
3 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Charlotte , North Carolina
I thought this was pretty cool -- a campground we stopped at last weekend advertises a special "Frugal Rate" for travelers who normally stay overnight in Wal-Mart parking lots. $15, one night only, 30 amp electric, no water or sewer (available for an extra fee).

Parkers Crossroads RV Park, I-40 exit 108 in Tennessee about halfway between Memphis and Nashville.
teagues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 12:25 PM   #417

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Great information! We would love to see more campgrounds offer this. We would be glad to see campgrounds make sites like this with easy in/out, no unhooking, and payment after hours (or during) by credit card, like downtown parking lots or auto car washes. I would be glad to pay $15 for electric as opposed to lugging out Amos and Leon (the Honda 2000's).
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 04:07 PM   #418
3 Rivet Member

1993 36' Land Yacht
jackson , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billieg
Well I'll start of the new day. I'm not stopping at Wallyworld again. Ever!

They were just plain rude. I stopped and parked next to all the palm trees lined up next to the garden area because it gave me some shade. I did run over a few other plants but what the heck, Wallyworld can afford it. After putting out the slides, awning and jacks I made a drink and got out my lawn chairs. I then noticed a power cord attached to the fountain so I got out my 3 way and hooked up my coach and turned on the air. Ah, life is good. I then saw a picnic table that looked good so I pulled it over and set it up. I figured it would be a good place to hold my grill. The wife brought out some hot dogs and I started grilling. Darn things burst open spilling grease everywhere and the smoke was unbearable so I grabbed the hose laying there and put it all out and made another drink. I didn't think the blacktop would burn.

The next thing you know some snotty nose kid with a Walmart tag comes by and asks "what are ya doin?" I tell him I'm camping what the heck does it look like I'm doing? He gives me a dirty look and leaves. I had to make a double to calm my nerves.

Since the food was ruined The DW called in the store to see if they would bring out some fried chicken to us. Nope, no way! What? Here we are their guests and they won't even bring out food? I gave them a piece of my mind and made another drink.

The next thing you know some "manager type" comes out and says we have to pay for the picnic table with all the grease on it and we have to leave! Well let me tell you I told him so shove it and I'm not leaving until I talk to his manager or the owner of the store. The nerve of some people, I had to make another drink

Awhile later some guy shows up in what looks like PJ's and tells me to leave. No employee card, no suit no nothing saying HE was the manager. I tell him "I was born at night but not tonight". Buzz off and I made another drink after waving my 357 at him.

I then put on some rock and roll on my outside speakers to ease the pain and made another drink but a bunch of stuck up RV people came by and complained. Seems they like to go to sleep at 11pm so I guess they can wake me up at 10am with all their loud noise and nonsense.

The next thing I know the cops arrive and arrest me! Now I know my rights and so I tell them Sam Walton invited me! They don't seem to care... They probably don't even know who Sam is...

The cops also made a BIG deal out of me dumping my tanks in the grate next to my MH. I told them that those grates are for drainage and believe me my tanks needed draining. (idiots)

I've never met more inconsiderate, rude and un-agreeable people in all my life. So that's it for Wallyworld for me. From now on I'm going to camp somewhere else!
bukib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 08:34 AM   #419
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I can't imagine why they complained. Seems like you would fit in at Walmart. Maybe if you had filled up an inflatable pool with that hose they had some reason to complain, but it seems like you were reasonable.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 09:35 AM   #420
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
So that's where you went

Hey, Cousin Eddie Johnson...I hadn't heard from you in a while, although I think I spotted you here: Funny Pictures at WalMart

Randy Bowman
OB Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote