Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-05-2009, 01:16 PM   #161
Rivet Master

BRADENTON, On The Picturesque and Sunny West Coast of Florida, , USA, PLANET EARTH, MILKY WAY, LOCAL GROUP, SPIRALING SLOWLY THROUGH THE UNIVERSE
When we're on the road with the wife driving, I use my laptop with GPS and the internet to look ahead for likely overnight parking spots.

Here's how:
I use the GPS and DeLorme Street Atlas mapping program to look ahead for a good-sized town or city likely to have a Wal*Mart.

Then I go to the Wal*Mart website via my cellular connection and find the address of the Wal*Mart store(s) in that town or city.

After that I find the location on the Street Atlas and plot the course for that spot for the night.

Note: There are Street Atlas overlays available for free download that have all Wal*Marts located. I've not found it necessary to do this, but may try it on our next excursion.

Most of the time we overnight at Wal*Marts, but sometimes a quiet shopping plaza or sports venue parking lot is as good. Just keep an eye out for the "looks" of the neighborhood when you pull in. If it LOOKS scary, it probably IS.

John
N2XBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 11:36 AM   #162
1 Rivet Member

Bethesda , Maryland
Walmart RV Parking Policy - 2009

Curious about this topic after reading numerous posts, I decided to check and see if Walmart has an official policy. They do, current on 2/29/09, posted at
Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. - Most Frequently Asked Questions

The policy:
While we do not offer electrical service or accommodations typically necessary for RV customers, Wal-Mart values RV travelers and considers them among our best customers. Consequently, we do permit RV parking on our store lots as we are able. Permission to park is extended by individual store managers, based on availability of parking space and local laws. Please contact management in each store to ensure accommodations before parking your RV.
/Roger
air.rog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 02:26 PM   #163
2 Rivet Member

1997 34' Limited
Charlottetown , Canada
thought

has anyone used their GPS to seek out a campground instead of a Wal-Mart by any chance?
WBCCI9898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 02:49 PM   #164
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by WBCCI9898 View Post
has anyone used their GPS to seek out a campground instead of a Wal-Mart by any chance?
I have several different GPS units but I have not seen one the lists a significant number of campgrounds in the Points of Interest section. It is probably a idea and a great selling point if one of the GPS makers did.

In the interim I use Google 411 or the Wal Mart atlas to find Wal Mart while on the road.

The problem with staying at a Wal Mart is I spend just as much if not more there then in a campground.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 05:40 PM   #165
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
There are a number of websites that have Points of Interest databases that are easily downloadable into most GPS's - they are great - this is one that I've used to update our GPS with complete databases of WalMart, State Park, National Park, Provincial Park, KOA campgrounds, Good Sam campgrounds and Interstate Rest Area locations - when we are travelling we use these databases almost daily:

POI Factory | new & interesting places for your GPS

Jay

"I'm not young enough to know everything ....."
(Oscar Wilde)
RangerJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 10:18 PM   #166
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
orlando , New Mexico, Utah, Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBCCI9898 View Post
Yea, I was wondering that also. WalrusMart is the most disgusting example of corporate herding since McDonald's. Overnight in a parking lot? Man you guys are joking no? Am I psicho or psycho to think I spent 30 grand plus to park there? If I see one of those places, I know I'm on the wrong road. Actually, I was in the Ruidoso example (no parking, really bad customer service as in no open checkout lines and expired vegetables, skip it), but only for dog Jupitor to crap behind the tire center.

I wish I could buy a radio that would not play Led Zeppelin.

COME ON PEOPLE LEAVE THAT PLACE BEHIND THAT'S WHY WE BOUGHT Air!

WBCCI #3841
jacarape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 10:32 PM   #167

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
When we hit a Wal-Mart parking lot it is because we have driven really late (11 PM or later) and most campgrounds are not easy to get into late at night.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 07:54 AM   #168
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
I kind of agree (and not) with jacarape: Walmart is an awful place. The prices aren't that good, given the shoddy product they carry, and what they do behind the scenes to other merchants is not forgivable. We try to avoid them as best we can. (In a small town like Taos, with few merchants to begin with, sometimes one is forced to shop Walmart, but, again, only if forced to.)

However, if they want to build a big parking lot that I could pull into late at night for a few quick blinks, that's ok by me. I won't spend an unnecessary dime on them otherwise.

But where we usually travel, there aren't any Walmarts, or not ones that I would stay at.

Lynn
Old 04-01-2009, 08:55 AM   #169
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Fort Walton Beach , Florida
Perceptions

I have yet to stay in a Walmart parking lot, but I do own a road atlas and directory of their stores. When I eventually find it convenient to stay at a Walmart, I will take advantage of their hospitality toward RVers......and, I will try and reciprocate by purchasing some goods. Their parking lots have to be quieter than the Flying J's I have stayed at.....but, never-the-less, appreciated. I think it's great that some businesses, for whatever their reasons, provide a few "free" perks for the RV community.

Chief
Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 11:38 AM   #170
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
orlando , New Mexico, Utah, Colorado
I hate to say it's an awful place, because then I think maybe there is something wrong with me. They just replaced 2 DC Marine batteries I bought last year without a receipt. Yea, I had to wait, absolutely no staff available for the amount of customers, same as the last time a did a garden/food driveby. I ended up leaving the cart in disgust, 12 people per line, 2 registers open. moooo on us.

It's very reasonable to stay in one, but yuck. I'd just rather take the road less traveled. Last year I went to the NOLA Jazz Fest, I camped on a lonely country road rest stop, another night I pulled off the highway and took a side road east until I found a hidden place to back in among trees.

Now, if you want to talk about camping at a Bass Pro Shop or a Cabela's, dang come to think of it, what a great place for a Rally...

WBCCI #3841
jacarape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 06:22 PM   #171
3 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
North Falmouth , Massachusetts
Free Overnight Stays

Many Wal-Marts, Sam's Clubs, Home Depots, Lowes, Cracker Barrel, Flying J and others do offer free parking overnight without hookups. Just check with the store manager first. A few, especially in New England, do not. OvernightRVparking.com (I think that's the link) is a subscription service that will list those that will and those that won't by area, i.e. enter ZIP code and radius and you'll get a map and a list. Parking lots work in a pinch and they cost nothing. Also, think about Visitors' Centers, some of them do as well. I've been told that all roadside rest areas in Texas are available for overnight stops.
dick&claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 10:41 PM   #172
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
I noticed that at some TX visitors centers/rest areas have night attendants that patrol the lots as part of their duties. Too bad it's only at some of them.
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 06:41 AM   #173
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
Cracker Barrels

On the way to Dega last week we got lazy and pulled into a Cracker Barrel for a soup and sandwich lunch. I've always thought that their RV parking slots were so nice and quiet and wondered if they allowed overnight camping. A visit with their people confirmed that they allowed it and we were so pleased to learn that. I don't know why we didn't ask sooner as we find for the most part their parking slots are just perfect. If we need the AC we can plug into the generators stored in the bed of the truck. All of the RV parking we've seen is on level ground so staying hooked up with or without the slide extended seems to be a perfect situation for us. CBs seem to be as common as Mickey Ds these days. Has anyone here ever utilized Cracker Barrel's hospitality?
Old 05-03-2009, 07:37 AM   #174
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
If we need the AC we can plug into the generators stored in the bed of the truck. All of the RV parking we've seen is on level ground so staying hooked up with or without the slide extended seems to be a perfect situation for us.
Just a recommendation here, you are overnight parking, not camping. Use of generators and extending slide-outs would be considered going beyond being a polite guest.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 09:04 AM   #175
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
Recently stayed in the Trinidad, Colorado Walmart lot for a nite, around towards the very back of the store. Views of the Culebra range, and very quiet. A full-timer in the lot said his preference for free over-nights near the freeways were Walmarts, truckstops, and rest areas, in that order. Options are good when it's late, you're bleary-eyed, and just want to get some sleep.
tphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 09:43 AM   #176
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Angry Be careful out there!

We used to stay overnight at Wal Marts but gave it up as more and more cash-strapped municipalities, at least in the Midwest, figured out that there were big profits to be made in parking fines and towing fees by passing a law forbidding overnight parking in retail parking lots.

In investigating one Wal Mart (Grand Rapids, MI) for overnight parking we came across a fleet of tow trucks at the edge of the lot getting ready to pounce on a few fifth wheels that appeared to be in for the night.

A few hundred dollars in exhorbitant towing fees, impound fees, and parking fines (duplicated for the TV and trailer, of course) to say nothing of the hassle and time lost getting your rig back make for an expensive night's stay.
Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 11:11 AM   #177
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
I would be damned if somebody would tow my truck and trailer anyplace if I was there. They could tell me to leave but not just hook up and move my stuff without giving me a chance to leave. The area would also have to be posted with signs that said no over night parking.
Maybe these people parked them and just left them in the lot unattended?
Old 05-03-2009, 11:18 AM   #178
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluto View Post
I noticed that at some TX visitors centers/rest areas have night attendants that patrol the lots as part of their duties. Too bad it's only at some of them.

I feel like I need to explain, when I said the above quote I meant it in a good way. The attendants are there to make sure there are no problems. At least with someone awake and watching I sleep a little better at the rest areas when I need to use them.
Old 05-03-2009, 01:43 PM   #179
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate View Post
Just a recommendation here, you are overnight parking, not camping. Use of generators and extending slide-outs would be considered going beyond being a polite guest.
Good point, makes good sense and was hoping for a confirming comment like this. Thanks "Mate"
Old 07-19-2009, 09:56 PM   #180
4 Rivet Member

2002 22' International
2019 25' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Who do you first contact in the store?

We stayed at a Walmart only once. We were in a terrible thunderstorm and just climbed in the trailer late at night, not wanting to get wet going in the store. We never asked anyone, but did park between two 5th wheelers, hoping if they could do it we would be okay too. Next morning just a sunrise were on our way out.

In contacting management, do you just go to the service center at the front of the store?
TankerIP is offline   Reply With Quote