Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-11-2008, 03:01 PM   #141
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunami
Has anyone experienced over nighting in a Wal Mart lot in Canada? I plan on going North of the boarder this year and started to wonder if the Canadiens are as friendly as we are down here south of the boarder about this?

Thanks in advanced...
I have seen them parked at ours. One 5th wheel was there for a few weeks with the truck unhitched and not even there most of the time.

Marvin
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 09:10 AM   #142

1998 30' Excella 1000
new Dundee , Ontario
Yes, we have parked there numerous times. Always out of the main parking area, and some stores have an area which caters to the transports and rv's.
newdundee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 11:13 AM   #143
Rivet Master

1976 25' Caravanner
Vintage Kin Owner
Campton , New Hampshire
Parked in Moncton NB one Sat night late , there were three campers there . By morning when we left there were 27 rigs.
ticki2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 12:58 PM   #144
4 Rivet Member

1966 30' Sovereign
1963 22' Safari
orlando , Florida
this may seem a bit contrary, but when i hook up my as camper it is to get away from asphalt.i like walmart,the ones that are run well and use the parking lots to rest,regroop,try to figure where the heck i am.iwant to see the natural parks,not the parking lots.vintage photos show airsreams parked at sites which enrich the mind and soul. go park there,and look for seasonal rates to CURB the parking cost.respectfully richie rich.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0297.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	240.1 KB
ID:	58609  
richie rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 06:25 PM   #145
What's a rivet?

2008 23' International CCD
Napa , California
WalMart

Most stores out this way in California don't allow it mainly because of city ordinances. It seems the more rural the better, my brother inlaw drives for Swift and suggests the closer to a freeway the better the chance. Good Luck
Daniel
SilverBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 10:51 AM   #146
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
St. Hedwig , Texas
Is it past time for the RV parks to realize there is a need for those just wanting a place to sleep overnight without having services? Unhooking your rig is another matter and more than just an overnight stop. I sure do not like paying $25 just to pull in for the night without unhooking my trailer.

I agree that staying on a paved parking lot is not my idea of camping but those paved parking lots are more convient than some isolated city parks.

If these RV parks are so concerned about losing business to Wal-Mart then they need to re-think their policy and make cheap overnight parking available. I agree some RV parks have a lot invested but there a lot which offer no extra's such as a pool, spa, TV, etc and stll charge over $25 a night.

To me its a safety issue. Having a place to stop for some sleep is a lot better than trying to stay awake when the eye lids get heavy. It keeps sleepy and tired drivers off the road.
gaylejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 01:00 PM   #147
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
I have never done the Walmart,I don`t completely understand the rest areas,with their NO OVER NIGHT CAMPING ,does this mean you can`t put out the awning,and fire up the barbi.I`ve pulled in to them many a time if in a rush,but that usually means a couple of cool ones,sleep, coffee in the morning and an early pullout.Haven`t been messed with yet,I figure if the trucker can do it I can too. Dave
easyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 01:34 PM   #148
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
We just picked up a new Atlas at a Wal*Mart and it has a listing in the front of all the Wal*Marts that do/can allow overnight RV parking [notice I didn't say camping]. I hate Wal*Mart and do everything I can to avoid shopping there. It just seems taht once every four or six weeks we have to "run" in for one or two items. Never stayed at one, we always look for a Cracker Barrel.
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 11:39 PM   #149
Razorback

2005 30' Classic
Springdale , Arkansas
Something to Think About

We stopped at a Wal-Mart in Rapid City, SD two days ago to replenish our refrigerator and parked on the extreme edge of the parking lot. When we came out of the store we found that a shopping cart against the left front of our Classic. Unlucky for us the wind had set the cart in motion after someone just left it where they loaded their purchases in their car and it struck our AS. Lucky for us it hit the center of the stainless steel rock guard. If it had hit further back it would have done major damage to the aluminum or further forward I would have had a major dent in my TV. This incident brought to mind the hazard of parking on any lot that has shopping carts left that are subject to being runaway carts. This was just a stop for some supplies so I would think the exposure of an overnight park might also be a risk, especially if there were strong winds.

Sid and Becky
2005 Classic 30 "Twinkie II"
Hensley Arrow
2008 Bighorn 4X4 Dodge 2500 Cummins
WBCCI Member At Large #2786

Life is not a dress rehearsal, live your dreams!
razorback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 06:55 AM   #150
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Gawd, I hate it when that happens. (Alas, what hit our truck at WM was heavier than a shopping cart. It bashed in the whole right-front fender -- and then left the scene. I was one very peeved individual.)

Lynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorback
We stopped at a Wal-Mart in Rapid City, SD two days ago to replenish our refrigerator and parked on the extreme edge of the parking lot. When we came out of the store we found that a shopping cart against the left front of our Classic. Unlucky for us the wind had set the cart in motion after someone just left it where they loaded their purchases in their car and it struck our AS. Lucky for us it hit the center of the stainless steel rock guard. If it had hit further back it would have done major damage to the aluminum or further forward I would have had a major dent in my TV. This incident brought to mind the hazard of parking on any lot that has shopping carts left that are subject to being runaway carts. This was just a stop for some supplies so I would think the exposure of an overnight park might also be a risk, especially if there were strong winds.
Old 05-28-2008, 07:50 PM   #151
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
e wind had set the cart in motion after someone just left it where they loaded their purchasesi always try to park at the top of any grade.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 08:11 PM   #152
Razorback

2005 30' Classic
Springdale , Arkansas
We do usually try to park at the top of the grade also and even check which direction the wind is coming from on level lots, but the only space left for a big trailer was on the lower side of the lot and downwind. Should have been smart enough to expect that might happen. Live and learn.

Sid and Becky
2005 Classic 30 "Twinkie II"
Hensley Arrow
2008 Bighorn 4X4 Dodge 2500 Cummins
WBCCI Member At Large #2786

Life is not a dress rehearsal, live your dreams!
razorback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 09:55 PM   #153
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Question Listing of Wal-Marts that allow overnight parking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickandsandi View Post
We just picked up a new Atlas at a Wal*Mart and it has a listing in the front of all the Wal*Marts that do/can allow overnight RV parking [notice I didn't say camping].
Could you tell me more about this atlas with a listing of Wal-Marts that allow overnight parking?

I bought the latest Rand McNally Road Atlas (dated 2009, in fact) at Wal-Mart and it lists all the Wal-Marts, but I didn't see anything about ones that allow overnight parking.

We have just about given up on Wal-Marts for a quick overnight stop because the last 3 we tried (including one we had stayed at previously) were sporting "no overnight parking" signs. One had a pack of tow trucks waiting to prey on unsuspecting RVers.

I second the suggestion made above that more campgrounds consider expedited low- or no- service overnight parking for people trying to get somewhere else and just need a place to put the wheels for the night.

By the way, some states, particularly the sparsely populated ones, Texas, to name one, do allow overnight stays in their Interstate rest areas. Seems like most don't, though.

See you down the road,
Nuvi
Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 11:14 PM   #154
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
The Wal Mart here in Yreka, CA allows overnight parking. Lots of folks stay at Wal Marts because the parking lots are fairly well lit, and thus ~ "safer" and convenient. The last big event in town the local police had was with drug dealers in our Wal Mart parking lot....

Our solution to the Wal Mart "dance" ~ travel shorter distances each day that you can, and plan ahead carefully so you can find an inexpensive or free place to stay (if budget is the word...) that isn't a total parking lot. Besides the 2:00 a.m. street sweeper thingy that cleans the parking lots just don't seem to care of you are sleeping.... We tend to look for the nearest USFS, BLM, or ACE camping spots... they generally have water and most have a dump station.

Lots of folks here on the forum offer courtesy parking! Bring your laptop and check out the areas you will be traveling to! Lots of Elks Club's have parking for their members, sometimes you can contact a local Elks Club and they will allow you to stay for a nominal fee... always worth a call or drop by the local Elks Bar to inquire.

Keep camping!

Mrs. NorCal Bambi traveling in S Tardis ~ from the Great State of Jefferson
My new blog: Yreka History
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 11:38 AM   #155
Rivet Master

BRADENTON, On The Picturesque and Sunny West Coast of Florida, , USA, PLANET EARTH, MILKY WAY, LOCAL GROUP, SPIRALING SLOWLY THROUGH THE UNIVERSE
My Fellow Cheapo Alumilovers,

For a VERY comprehensive website for Free overnighting, including Wal*Mart, go to Jim O'Briant's Overnight RV Parking.

There is a small annual charge [worth it!] to subscribe, but actually can be free if you add something new to the data base. See complete details at the website.
I have no financial interest in the website except as a member/contributer.

If you decide to contribute, be sure to use the form, or it will make Jim a lot of extra work. Form : http://www.overnightrvparking.com/report.php

Also, Check out Jim's LINKS Page: Links and Resources

Happy Trails!

John / N2XBW
N2XBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 07:52 AM   #156
2 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Currently Looking...
Quincy , Massachusetts
We are on an express trip to yellowstone nat park and stayed at Wal Marts in Fredonia NY, Peru IL and Worthington Minn. All the managers were very nice and we had to park on the outer edges of the lot. It was handy to be able to run in for food supplies. I would recommend it for anyone traveling fast.
Gregg S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 09:07 AM   #157
Rivet Master

BRADENTON, On The Picturesque and Sunny West Coast of Florida, , USA, PLANET EARTH, MILKY WAY, LOCAL GROUP, SPIRALING SLOWLY THROUGH THE UNIVERSE
Gregg,
Way to go! You are now an "Official" Cheapo! And thanks for asking permission. It's just good manners and makes all of us more welcome next time. We always ask, and NEVER "set up camp" or leave any other trace. If I see a security vehicle, I make a point of introducing myself to the officer and thanking him/her in advance for looking out for us. I have never had a problem or a negative reaction from the patrols.

Always find a flat spot so you won't even have to use your jacks. The rule of thumb when parking overnight on a commercial or other free lot, is be ready to drive away at a moment's notice. This also means no slides out unless absolutely necessary. Never use a storm drain for tank dumping. I know, this seems like a no-brainer, but there's no limit to the audacity and stupidity of some travelers. Sheesh!

With the availability of dump stations and good water at so many truck stops and municipalities, it makes little sense to me to pay for or hassel with a campsite while just quickly passing through an area. We only use campsites when absolutely necessary at our destinations, or at very interesting / sceinic spots along the way.

NB: See the reference to the Overnight Camping registry in my post #155 of this thread.

Happy Trails!
John / N2XBW
N2XBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 12:55 PM   #158
1 Rivet Member

Fayetteville , Tennessee
Send a message via AIM to jking09
i have also used the walmart overnight policy.
jking09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 03:12 PM   #159
Rivet Master

2022 25' International
Savage , Minnesota
Used the Walmart in Stevens Point, WI last August. Manager was nice, and it worked out great. It really was Free!

'64 Safari Resoration Blog ("May"):
https://ts8501.blogspot.com/

TAC MN-6
WBCCI/VAC 11736
AIR 25979
ts8501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 11:55 AM   #160
3 Rivet Member

2008 16' Bambi
New York , New York
It is the truth, he was an RV'r and it was in his will. Also the road atlas they sell has this info in it. Same goes for Cracker Barrels, the ones that have RV parking.
The rule is to park as far away from the store to not take space from shoppers.
ITsIT is offline   Reply With Quote