Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-03-2019, 06:08 AM   #1161
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post

This incident happened just outside my home town about the time we left on our current trip. Was not reported until after we left, so I heard about it from a fellow traveler in North Carolina who heard we were from Corpus Christi. So I don't know much about it.

There are some fairly remote beach camping sites in the area, but if it was in Kleburg county (just South of Corpus Christi), most of those sites are difficult to get to in an rv due to bad roads or beach sand. Lots of remote places are available if you just have a 4 wheel drive vehicle.

Very sad deal for the victims.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 02:08 PM   #1162
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
We have never overnighted at a Walmart or any other free space. When traveling, we want to enjoy ourselves and hookups help that. We do buy some things at Walmart because of lower prices. But at least some Walmarts are marginal as a shopping experience—crowded aisles (research proves sales go up when it is difficult for customers to get through a store), low quality products, poor service. Many other chains are adopting some of the same methods—Kroger stores, Lowe's, Home Depot for ex., here are crowding the aisles, eliminating checkers, have longer waiting lines at registers and the employees are ignorant and/or poorly trained. I don't much like Amazon either, but some things can only be obtained from them or the price differences are large.

In Grand Junction, the Walmart lot has city signs that RVs cannot park overnight. Nonetheless, there are frequently RV's in the lot. There are three CG's in or very near GJ and one looks crowded with long term renters, another just looks bad and one is ok, though in an area of light industry. Colorado NM also has a CG, but a person just traveling through would not stay there because of access and they probably wouldn't know about it anyway. So the city has an ordinance to protect the private CG's, most of which could use some competition. The county fairgrounds has RV parking, but to protect the private CG's, it is only used during fairgrounds events. There are few events at the fairground and the major one is a rather small annual fair. They had to make entrance free to get people to attend the annual fair.

There are some pretty strange looking people shopping at Walmart. Some are dressed sloppy (perhaps that would be me), some are in poor health and look it, some are mentally compromised, some eat too much, some are obnoxious. I suppose we could reserve a few states for them to live and shop (suggest at your own risk which states are eligible). I have known people who are poor, people who have had bad things happen to them, people who are unattractive, and some are very good people, very smart, and some are not. I have met wealthy people who are morally corrupt and not too bright either.

You may or may not be able to tell a book by its cover. Same with people. I have had a beard for 50 years—it used to be seen as political statement, now they are cool and popular. I stopped shaving because it irritated my skin, but people assumed I was a dangerous radical (they were right, but it was my skin I was protecting). You can be right for the wrong reasons, but it seems assumptions often lead us into trouble.

My problem with Walmart is that it is not a particularly good store for many items, it destroys local retail stores (some of them needed competition though) and when they can't get what they want from a community, they send in lawyers and outspend the municipality. We are also members of Sam's Club because of prices, but Costco is a much better store. Costco won't come here because of low average incomes. Sometimes we let the membership lapse and re-join a couple of months later because we get a bunch of free deals—sometimes you can beat Walmart.

I too am surprised this thread has lasted so long, but it least it got energized lately, though personal attacks should be avoided.

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 07:22 AM   #1163
4 Rivet Member

2014 28' International
Blacksburg , Virginia
One of my favorite threads

Can't close the 'Chiner'-mart, eh, I mean, walmart thread ! Gee whiz, this thread is older than my tires on the AS. Its a great thread.
I havn't stayed at walmart, but I have used a Costco parking lot once, way down in the far corner, away from the store out of the way. Tallahassee FL.
pulled in at one-thirty in the morning. Transferred the cat to AS with no issues, locked the truck. Caught some much needed shut-eye for a few hours. Waited till they opened, avocado's and apple strudel & Top tier diesel fuel. No mess , no fuss.
Cat on a leash, you get lots of questions.
Those were the days, didn't know how good it was.

Don't close this thread, its my favorite next to the Pet thread. One of the reasons I hang around here.
If you don't like walmart, don't look at this thread. I don''t look at the latest 'hate diesel thread' or 'crazy tire thread'
Keeps my blood pressure down, LOL
Choice is good.
Have a good one!
Old 11-05-2019, 05:12 PM   #1164
Rivet Master

2019 19' Flying Cloud
Canyon Country , California
I have yet to try the overnight stay at these stores mentioned in this thread. Probably would park at Costco as I have a membership there. I can see where I can sleep for a few hours at any Costco. Then again not all cities have Costco. I believe Alabama has only 4 Costco stores in the whole state!

2019 Flying Cloud 19CBB
Halford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 06:07 PM   #1165
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halford1 View Post
I have yet to try the overnight stay at these stores mentioned in this thread. Probably would park at Costco as I have a membership there. I can see where I can sleep for a few hours at any Costco. Then again not all cities have Costco. I believe Alabama has only 4 Costco stores in the whole state!
Costco and Trader's Joe's do not come to cities with low income. Walmart and Sam's do. Arkansas, Maine, Mississippi, Rhode Island, West Virginia, and Wyoming don't have any Costcos, according to an internet post last spring. Some of those states are known for low income, not sure of all of them. Alabama must be rich, though having driven through there several times, I never noticed it was much different than Mississippi. Neither TJ's not Costco has come to Grand Junction, a city noted for low incomes too.

Old 11-07-2019, 11:46 AM   #1166
Rivet Master

2019 19' Flying Cloud
Canyon Country , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
Costco and Trader's Joe's do not come to cities with low income. Walmart and Sam's do. Arkansas, Maine, Mississippi, Rhode Island, West Virginia, and Wyoming don't have any Costcos, according to an internet post last spring. Some of those states are known for low income, not sure of all of them. Alabama must be rich, though having driven through there several times, I never noticed it was much different than Mississippi. Neither TJ's not Costco has come to Grand Junction, a city noted for low incomes too.
Yea come to think of it, I can see Costco stores in middle class or higher areas. In Alabama these areas are expensive place to live in and that's where Costco stores are at.

I live a mile from Costco in California and its usually full of customers. There is a plan for a new Costco store to replace abandoned Sears store in Valencia, CA like 6 miles from where I live.

2019 Flying Cloud 19CBB
Halford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 09:58 AM   #1167
3 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Bushnell , Florida
Quote:
We have never overnighted at a Walmart or any other free space. When traveling, we want to enjoy ourselves and hookups help that. We do buy some things at Walmart because of lower prices. But at least some Walmarts are marginal as a shopping experience—crowded aisles (research proves sales go up when it is difficult for customers to get through a store), low quality products, poor service. Many other chains are adopting some of the same methods—Kroger stores, Lowe's, Home Depot for ex., here are crowding the aisles, eliminating checkers, have longer waiting lines at registers and the employees are ignorant and/or poorly trained. I don't much like Amazon either, but some things can only be obtained from them or the price differences are large.

In Grand Junction, the Walmart lot has city signs that RVs cannot park overnight. Nonetheless, there are frequently RV's in the lot. There are three CG's in or very near GJ and one looks crowded with long term renters, another just looks bad and one is ok, though in an area of light industry. Colorado NM also has a CG, but a person just traveling through would not stay there because of access and they probably wouldn't know about it anyway. So the city has an ordinance to protect the private CG's, most of which could use some competition. The county fairgrounds has RV parking, but to protect the private CG's, it is only used during fairgrounds events. There are few events at the fairground and the major one is a rather small annual fair. They had to make entrance free to get people to attend the annual fair.

There are some pretty strange looking people shopping at Walmart. Some are dressed sloppy (perhaps that would be me), some are in poor health and look it, some are mentally compromised, some eat too much, some are obnoxious. I suppose we could reserve a few states for them to live and shop (suggest at your own risk which states are eligible). I have known people who are poor, people who have had bad things happen to them, people who are unattractive, and some are very good people, very smart, and some are not. I have met wealthy people who are morally corrupt and not too bright either.

You may or may not be able to tell a book by its cover. Same with people. I have had a beard for 50 years—it used to be seen as political statement, now they are cool and popular. I stopped shaving because it irritated my skin, but people assumed I was a dangerous radical (they were right, but it was my skin I was protecting). You can be right for the wrong reasons, but it seems assumptions often lead us into trouble.

My problem with Walmart is that it is not a particularly good store for many items, it destroys local retail stores (some of them needed competition though) and when they can't get what they want from a community, they send in lawyers and outspend the municipality. We are also members of Sam's Club because of prices, but Costco is a much better store. Costco won't come here because of low average incomes. Sometimes we let the membership lapse and re-join a couple of months later because we get a bunch of free deals—sometimes you can beat Walmart.

I too am surprised this thread has lasted so long, but it least it got energized lately, though personal attacks should be avoided.
You’re right, personal attacks should be avoided. Like reserving states for people to live in that don’t meet your standards. I’m hoping that was a joke.

We have stayed overnight at Wal Mart many times, sometimes right next to the sign that says no overnight camping allowed. We always call ahead for permission and also to find out any particular area they would like us to park. We always go in to buy something. Sometimes it’s to stock up the pantry, others just get something we don’t need but want, like Ben & Jerry’s. No awnings out, no generator, no chairs. Get up in the morning and leave. It’s a nice option to have on the road like Cracker Barrel, Cabella’s, etc.
wareaglewalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 08:02 AM   #1168
Rivet Master

2009 25' FB Classic
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:

We live in Scottsdale AZ A lot of folks call it Snottsdale because of the old and new money in this town. That said now on to your idea that Walmart only goes into low income towns. Well we have a Costco and a Walmart in Snottsdale I see Bentley’s, Range Rovers, BMW’s and the likes parked in the Walmart lot. Very successful business go where they can make money. Walmart do not kill other business, the folks that want to save money and drive to only one store does. Yes we stay in Walmart, Country Kitchen, Bass Pro, or any other lot we can to save money while driving from point A to point B. .
Old 11-20-2019, 08:05 AM   #1169
Rivet Master

2009 25' FB Classic
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie-Bob View Post
We live in Scottsdale AZ A lot of folks call it Snottsdale because of the old and new money in this town. That said now on to your idea that Walmart only goes into low income towns. Well we have a Costco and a Walmart in Snottsdale I see Bentley’s, Range Rovers, BMW’s and the likes parked in the Walmart lot. Very successful business go where they can make money. Walmart do not kill other business, the folks that want to save money and drive to only one store does. Yes we stay in Walmart, Country Kitchen, Bass Pro, or any other lot we can to save money while driving from point A to point B. .

[ATTACH]356563. Walmart parking lot Page AZ
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0797.JPG
Views:	230
Size:	466.1 KB
ID:	356563  
Old 11-20-2019, 08:08 AM   #1170
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
There's a huge difference between WalMarts.
The farther you get from a metropolitan area, the better the WalMarts become.
I'm always surprised while in "real America" to have an employee come up and ask if he can help me. That never happens at home.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 03:52 PM   #1171
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
That said now on to your idea that Walmart only goes into low income towns.
I didn't say that. There are Walmarts everywhere. I agree that the ones in small towns and suburbs seem to be better kept than ones in lower income areas. Costco and Trader Joe's do not come to low income cities—the nearest Costco is 100 miles away in the wealthy Vail Valley. TJ's is even farther—Denver and Colorado Springs. I think TJ's has a higher income limit than Costco. Grand Junction average income is 25% less than Denver.

We stock up when out of town. TJ's is often in older, small shopping centers where the parking is impossible for a trailer. Such shopping centers have cheaper rent (high income shoppers, low rent locations—some irony there), though I have seen some in better places more recently.

Old 11-20-2019, 05:57 PM   #1172
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB International
2007 19' International CCD
Steamboat Springs , Colorado
Quote:
I found that walking into the Scottsdale Costco was like trying to cross the 101 during rush hour due to all of the motorized carts!
Steamy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 07:47 AM   #1173
Rivet Master

2009 25' FB Classic
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamy1 View Post
I found that walking into the Scottsdale Costco was like trying to cross the 101 during rush hour due to all of the motorized carts!

Yes when the snow birds are in town going to Costco, Walmart or any other store is like you say “walking across the 101”. That’s why during that season we go during the afternoon, hopefully most of them are napping at home. We can tell when it’s time for them to in town, all the handicap parking is full. I can say that I’m old.
Old 11-21-2019, 02:48 PM   #1174
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
The handicapped spaces around here are almost always full. Grand Jct. has a higher than average number of seniors and perhaps a smaller than average number of handicapped spaces. They used to be fairly empty, not any more. Sam's Club has the most of them, Walmart close behind. The Kroger store (City Market) puts most handicapped spaces where it is hard to back out into traffic, especially for seniors with necks that don't turn as well. I have pointed that out to them several times, but they don't care.

We have tried to go at times when my cohort is napping, but it doesn't work all that well. When we visited my parents in south Florida 25-35 years ago, the local supermarket was dangerous. Seniors with a shopping cart in a hurry are inherently dangerous. They go fast, can't stop easily, can't see or hear too well, think they have the right of way and also block aisles. I, of course, don't do any of that. It isn't that bad here, but I think it is coming. Driving on Florida roads, not supermarkets, was also dangerous. Lots of aging Cadillacs with someone so short it looked like an autonomous car before there were such things. Everyone, young and old, there seems to drive like it is an emergency anyway.

Old 12-03-2019, 07:55 AM   #1175
Rivet Master

2009 34' Panamerica
2005 28' Classic
Still , in the thick of it
I don't know if this has been talked about yet, but it looks like VW (and others) are looking at Wal-Mart's real estate to put EV chargers in.....this link is old, but I just saw this last week on one of the news feeds.....

https://www.engadget.com/2018/04/18/...rs-at-walmart/
panamerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 09:19 AM   #1176
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Here in Florida, we’re already seeing fast chargers at Wal-Mart, Target, some malls, and even Dunkin Donuts.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 12:08 PM   #1177
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
The Sam's Club here had chargers installed a couple of years ago in the parking lot with nice lighting all around them so people would see them. But, there was one problem. No one bothered to attach the chargers to the grid. Perhaps these were supposed to work in reverse and there vehicles charge the chargers.

Old 12-03-2019, 10:17 PM   #1178
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
The Sam's Club here had chargers installed a couple of years ago in the parking lot with nice lighting all around them so people would see them. But, there was one problem. No one bothered to attach the chargers to the grid. Perhaps these were supposed to work in reverse and there vehicles charge the chargers.
Hi, maybe Sam's Club was using electric cars to run the lights in the store.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 11:19 AM   #1179
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, maybe Sam's Club was using electric cars to run the lights in the store.
Pretty clever trick by the Wall family to save on their electric bill.

Old 12-05-2019, 07:52 PM   #1180
1 Rivet Member

Manhattan , Kansas
I planned to stay at Walmart overnight but then when I git there I was the only car parked and suddenly got scared for that so I backed out.
undermoo is offline   Reply With Quote