Old 08-12-2016, 02:36 PM   #813
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
How long is this thread going, it is like flogging a dead horse, after 58 pages basically saying same thing over and over.

Old 08-12-2016, 02:44 PM   #814
4 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
High River , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by featherbedder View Post
How long is this thread going, it is like flogging a dead horse, after 58 pages basically saying same thing over and over.
Yes, but it's something of an institution after 12 years!

Old 08-12-2016, 02:57 PM   #815
2 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Louisville , Kentucky
I use Allstays.com which shows the Walmart locations with a color code that indicates if parking is possible.
Old 08-17-2016, 08:28 AM   #816
Rivet Master

2012 30' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
Walmart’s Out-of-Control Crime Problem Is Driving Police Crazy.

The above, an article in Bloomberg.com. A worthwhile read if you plan a Walmart overnight.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 08-17-2016, 08:43 AM   #817

Currently Looking...
Lethbridge , Alberta
Good to know

Good posts everyone,

I've always seen trailers parked at Walmart and so assumed that it wasn't an issue, but I'm sure asking the manager would help to keep "overnighters" in good standing.

Hopefully change isn't in order.

Sam
Old 08-17-2016, 08:57 AM   #818
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by samstream5 View Post
Good posts everyone,

I've always seen trailers parked at Walmart and so assumed that it wasn't an issue, but I'm sure asking the manager would help to keep "overnighters" in good standing.

Hopefully change isn't in order.

Sam

Welcome, also asking permission is simply common courtesy.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 08:59 AM   #819
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard L. View Post
Walmart’s Out-of-Control Crime Problem Is Driving Police Crazy.

The above, an article in Bloomberg.com. A worthwhile read if you plan a Walmart overnight.
. . .
Howard, thanks for the heads up! I assume you mean this article?

https://www.bloomberg.com/features/2016-walmart-crime/

. . . which seems to be mainly about shoplifting and other in-store problems like fights etc.. (from a quick glance)

Not sure how this would affect RVers overnighting, as it seem unlikely that a store manager would link the two IMO. The only mention I see is in the next-to-last sentence about campers etc. hunkering down for the night in the parking lot, with nary a mention of this being part of the problem.

Hopefully Walmart will not close the gates to RV overnighting!

Thanks again for the heads up.

Peter
Old 08-17-2016, 11:38 AM   #820

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Saw this article today. It was enlightening. A lot of crime is opportunity driven and if some WalMarts have issues, then the fact that those folks creating the problems inside are out there in that parking lot too. It reenforces my feelings regarding not staying in Walmart or other businesses overnight. For example we have a very nice Walmart just off an interstate highway locally. Unknown to those parking in the lot is that the area right behind that Walmart has been a high crime area. Personally I'm not aware of any crimes specifically towards travelers although smash and grab seems to be the most common type of activity these days. While there is no guarantee that a local RV park is any safer, the fact that ease of access and easy flight/escape routes are many times an important factor in setting you up for a crime against you or your property.

I spent a night at a RV parking facility once that was in the south, that in all actuality was a college football stadium parking lot with full hookups. It was just off an interstate but was up on a hill and surrounded by trees. You paid to a box on an honor system. Needless to say that night I was the only trailer on the lot and felt extremely vulnerable. I only stayed because someone had recommended the site and by the time of day I got there I didn't feel like traveling further. Needless to say I won't stop there again and sitting on an empty blacktop lot doesn't make me sleep like a baby.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 11:44 AM   #821
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
My take on it is that it doesn't seem to be pointing the finger at RVs in the parking lot, just that criminals seem to think of Wal-Mart as a prime target for theft. It also shows a lot of domestic issues exist, possibly because of the clientele that frequent Wal-Mart.

The article says Target doesn't allow overnight parking but then Target typically isn't the only store in the shopping center. The shopping center has other stores and generally more security in the lots and stores. Wal-Mart security seems to be determined by the number of incidents at the store. Target's stores are in middle class neighborhoods while Wal-Mart is in lower class.

I've noticed more recently that Wal-Mart seems to be in lots with Lowes' stores. Maybe taking advantage of additional security?

Before I stay at Wal-Mart overnight I Google the store's location and get information from others who have stayed there. So far, that's worked pretty well.

Rich & Yvonne
2006 Safari SE -Dora-
2004 4Runner SE

richw46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 01:03 PM   #822
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Wal-mart closest to me posted signs last winter no over night parking IMO it was because of many semis and it inter feared with snow removal, signs still in place. A few RVs used lot in warmer temps. Now in rear of empty big box stores and wal-mart huge paved area, doesn't interfear with stores. Semis have found, so far very rare rvs. This store little off beaten path for rvs. not even for pur. But huge trucking area. Lot is heavily used by shoppers. This super wal-mart is not in lower class neighbor hood but upper middle class with much money to spend.
Old 08-18-2016, 01:55 PM   #823

1997 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
ROSCOE , New York
Overnight stay at Walmart

hi. i just bought a b 190 (love it) first trip will be ny statefair. i called many walmarts and inquired about overnight stay. i was not only turned down by all but was firmly and sometimes rudely told not to do it. has their policy changed.
Old 08-18-2016, 01:59 PM   #824
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
The only place you can not stay is south Fl. because you won't live through the night and Nv. by state law.

We do it all the time.

Where did you call?

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 02:15 PM   #825
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
We do it all the time. Just don't crowd the other guy.

Where did you call?

Here is a list of 800 location you can stay
http://www.walmartlocator.com/no-park-walmarts/

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 02:27 PM   #826
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We just stop when ready and ask the duty manager (sometimes), usually the evening shift. Never been turned down, even at a few places that had signs saying no.

I asked about the signs, one was because of a local farmer who didn't like the evening noise, so manager said don't run a generator. Another was a hot shot new ass't manager that nobody in the store liked who put up the signs, and he had gone home for the day so nighttime manager could care less.

On the other hand, if you're near a popular coastal camping area or snowbird area in winter, you can probably expect no overnights. That was ruined long ago by those who decided to spend their full-time camping lives, or the winter there.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote