Old 08-05-2015, 10:56 AM   #771
Overland Adventurer
1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
Walmart overnight parking

Every one bashes Walmart.....
It is a completely free overnight parking situation! They ask nothing of us except to leave your space clean (they provide trash cans) and provide lights, security patrols in most locations, and high definition security cameras! Many locations have very nice WiFi. Some urban areas are iffy, but that's your responsibility to scope out!
Even if there are signs prohibiting truck parking, I have ALWAYS asked the manager if it was ok.... I have now parked in all of the lower 48 states!
I once had a manager interested in our family road school efforts, and graciously gave me a $50 gift card!

In my opinion, the Walmart giant is great! Across the country is a place to buy reasonable goods and auto services at decent prices. Walmart didn't invent China, they just have the biggest stores. Everything at Walmart can also be bought at Costco, Kmart or target.
Buy a suit, engagement ring, or top shelf items? Not likely, but for the rving person, toilet paper, pizza, and Coca Cola are the same everywhere!

Thanks again Wallyworld, see you again later this week!

AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 11:01 AM   #772
1 Rivet Member
Ford F-150 Eco boost. Always in the mountains pulling '14 25ft Serenity FB. Love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

Perker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 12:05 PM   #773
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
Perker; with that post, I don't think you are overnighting in a Walmart parking lot.
A different post was titled "what do you tow with?"
Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 06:06 PM   #774
Road Geezer

2011 27' FB Flying Cloud
San Jose , California
If you have a smart phone, there's an app that runs on iPhones and/or Androids called ONP Walmart. I think it has just about every Walmart in North America along with a status listing that says whether or not they accommodate over night parking along with a map, user experience, and contact info.

What you'll find is that most stores in metropolitan areas do not allow ONP. Rural and smaller town Walmarts are good bets.
As far as I know, this is the oldest I've ever been.
Road Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 06:45 AM   #775
Rivet Master
2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
This thread has got so long that post and posters are repeating themselves. Might be time for a summary and new thread.
WBCCI 10656 Southeastern Camping Unit
Associate European Unit
2006 Safari LS 23 ft
Formerly 1964 Bambi II

"I got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell"
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 08:49 AM   #776
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
GILBERT , Arizona
Can someone tell me how to get off this thread?
David & Nancy Ames
WBCCI # 9403 -- AIR # 95597
2015 FC 25' RB
2013 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
dames7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 08:52 AM   #777
Rivet Master

1965 24' Tradewind
1962 28' Ambassador
Mesa , Arizona
Just hit the subscribe/unsubscribe button.

Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 07:28 AM   #778
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
GILBERT , Arizona
Thank you
David & Nancy Ames
WBCCI # 9403 -- AIR # 95597
2015 FC 25' RB
2013 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
dames7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 08:37 PM   #779
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
I'm heading South on 65 in a few weeks with my daughters & grandbabies. My sister is coming with her daughter & grandbabies too. We thought about staying at a Walmart along 65 between Birmingham Alabama & Montgomery Alabama. Anyone have any favorites they stay at? I don't want to stay in any dicey neighborhoods & would rather pay to stay at a campground if they're in any way dangerous! Does anyone here have experience at any of the Wally Marts in this area? I don't want to plan on it if it's at all unsafe! Thanks in advance.....

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 05:54 AM   #780
Rivet Master
2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Chesterfield , Missouri
Got into Limon Colo late on a Saturday night. Looked at the Koa there, it was late, and nobody around. $45 to park for the night. Im a hard headed son if a gun, so I just kept driving. Headed towards Colo Springs. We saw a Safeway on the right just as we were getting into town. We noticed four other campers in the lot, so we pulled into a place between two. Noticed two local police cars sitting nearby chatting, so I assumed it would be ok.. Had a great nights sleep. The next morning, I noticed that the other campers, had for sale signs in the windows.. Ha
Oh well, no hassles and no charge.
We stayed in a walmart lot on the way back. In western KS. No probs there either.
Had a great week on Turquoise Lake CG near Leadville Colo.
2011 FC 23FB
2012 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab, 5.7 4x4
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 06:44 AM   #781
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Center Moriches , New York
Since I started RVing in 2010, I've overnighted in LOTS of Walmarts across the country. VERY few had signs posted prohibiting overnight parking. If I see other RVs already parked, I just join them. If NO other RVs / big trucks are parked, then I'll go inside and ask permission. I've NEVER had a problem parking overnight in a Walmart, truck stop, rest area etc (and, I'm sure in six years, I've spent well over 100 nights not in campgrounds). When I park at a Walmart or other business, I ALWAYS buy something. It's NOT hard to drop $100+ restocking at a Walmart! Listen to your "inner voice"; if something / anything is making you uneasy, keep going. If you have a tow vehicle, make sure it's locked and, that nothing of value (GPS, phone, camera, computer etc) is plainly visible. That would be just inviting trouble. Keep a good flashlight and your phone nearby. Know where you are so that, if you have to call for help, you can tell the dispatcher exactly where you are. Remember, it's just overnight parking. Do NOT set up camp! Leave the area as clean (or cleaner) than you found it.
NY24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 04:59 AM   #782
Rivet Master
2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Greensboro , North Carolina
Walmart, Joliet, IL

A good lesson, a few weeks ago at the Walmart Supercenter, 16241 S Farrell Rd, Lockport, IL 60441

This is listed as RV friendly, yet when I checked with the customer service, I was told overnight parking was not allowed. I requested they check with management as I had found this to be a store listed on web sources as friendly.

So, management stated that the store was not popular with local residents who had complained and resisted the construction of the store before its existence. With this issue, I was told parking was OK, but absolutely no generators or other equipment which might make noise, as these would irritate surrounding neighbors.

What I learned was, if I was declined, to make certain to speak with an actual manager as opposed to one who was an assistant. And to pre check on one of the online sources as to whether local ordinances prohibit overnight parking, thus being able to be more positive with management.

And, purchasing something is important IMO. Often one can have a wonderful meal, prepared by the staff in their kitchens.

Of course, no generators, as this is quite a nuisance for those parked nearby with windows open.

My suspicion is there is good security at Walmart, not always easily identified. But, I park away from the store under one of the main overhead lights.
Happy trails and Good Luck
Ms Tommie Fantine Lauer, Greensboro, NC
AIR #31871 WBCCI #4165 K4MTL
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 02:40 PM   #783
2 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
Racine , Wisconsin
I've never found a Walmart that didn't allow parking over night. However there are many communities that don't allow parking overnight at Walmart. Including almost all of Tucson. I find the best resource for places to park is that app Allstay. It shows which Walmarts allow parking and those that don't. Also good at finding other campgrounds. I have found it deficient in pointing out Bureau of land management campgrounds. It costs a few dollars but is well worth it.
Kilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 05:29 PM   #784
2 Rivet Member
The Walmart here in Palm Beach Florida had signs posted indicating no overnight parking, yet there were several trucks and one camper van tucked in for the night. So we went inside and asked and they told us it was fine to park overnight but not to leave our rig unattended.

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote