Old 03-16-2015, 01:54 PM   #631
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Grand Junction has 2 Walmarts and we never go to the one on the east side (which may actually not be within city limits). But the one on the west side has lots of signs about parking there being prohibited by city ordinance. There is one KOA in the city and it is always full or close to it; another CG out west of I-70 may or may not be in the city (city limits are hard to know around here). It is pretty busy too. Since local government always puts local business above anything else, I suppose these CG's lobbied the city on this. By limiting places to stay in GJ, people probably just keep driving and buy gas and supplies in the next town. I have rarely seen an RV in the Walmart lot; don't know whether they got a ticket.

One way to afford a $500 K RV is to stay in free campgrounds. We've never stayed at a Walmart, Cracker Barrel or Lowe's. It gets noisy real early and we aren't early risers. Besides, it is a vacation and staying in a parking lot doesn't seem very vacationy.

Gene

Old 03-16-2015, 03:22 PM   #632
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Nixa , Missouri
Every time I'm on long trips it too hot to stay in Walmart overnight. We need the AC on.

Kelvin

Old 03-16-2015, 03:34 PM   #633
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
New Orleans , Louisiana
Calling guys freeloaders for parking at Walmart, Lowe's or CrackerBarrel is ridiculous. They offer this for a reason. It is a convenience and gets tired guys off the road and that is a win for everyone.
Old 03-16-2015, 03:42 PM   #634
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
Metairie , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by badkat View Post
Calling guys freeloaders for parking at Walmart, Lowe's or Cracker Barrel is ridiculous.
It's a case-by-case thing.

I'm sure there are some people who park in a Walmart or other business parking lot because it's free, either because they can't afford better or because they are cheapskates.

But I'm equally sure that there are others who park in a Walmart or other business parking lot because it's convenient and would still park there even if Walmart charged for the privilege. So show of hands, pleaseó if you asked the manager, "Can I park here overnight?" and he were to say, "Sure, ten bucks a night, put this sign on your dashboard so the security guard knows not to run you off," would you still park there?

The answer to that question will determine whether you're a freeloader.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Engineering: Finding complex solutions to simple problems you didn't even know you had.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 03:53 PM   #635
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
New Orleans , Louisiana
WalMart, thinks its good business. We always call ahead then ask where to park when in need of a stop over. Everyone has to eat and buy other necessities. Obviously they do not mind their patrons parking over-nite and why should we. Final answer from me!
Old 03-16-2015, 04:00 PM   #636
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
$10? Absolutely. A bargain. Easy in, easy out and easy back on the highway. If it's summertime in Kansas or Oklahoma OTOH I'd be looking for electric hookup to run the AC.
Old 03-16-2015, 04:01 PM   #637
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Why the struggle to define it absolutely??

Must we judge, define, determine, etc., what others' decisions are, and presume negative and small underlying motives and thought processes???

It seems so unnecessary, to me.

We all have our opinions, which don't have to be shared and joined in by the rest of the world. Do they???

If it is not hurting you, why does where others park overnight matter???

Life is short, folks.

Maggie
Old 03-16-2015, 05:14 PM   #638
3 Rivet Member

1997 25' Safari
Montgomery , Alabama
Well said,Maggie. Is there an Emoticon for WHO CARES?

Maybe an award system like "Rivets" for the poster who scores the most?

Follow us at two bikes + an Airstream. Http://Airgo.blogspot.com

Montgomery, Alabama

follow the Two Bikes and an Airstream blog at http://airgo.blogspot.com
twobikes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 05:16 PM   #639
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
if you asked the manager, "Can I park here overnight?" and he were to say, "Sure, ten bucks a night, put this sign on your dashboard so the security guard knows not to run you off," would you still park there?
At Walmart, wouldn't the charge be $9.98?
Old 03-16-2015, 05:45 PM   #640
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by badkat View Post
Calling guys freeloaders for parking at Walmart, Lowe's or CrackerBarrel is ridiculous. They offer this for a reason. It is a convenience and gets tired guys off the road and that is a win for everyone.
The freeloaders must be the ones that get out the grill and lawn chairs.
Old 03-16-2015, 06:24 PM   #641
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne&Sam View Post
At Walmart, wouldn't the charge be $9.98?

Now dagnabbit - that's a nice piece of levity at the right time! Well played.

"C'mon people now - smile on your brother - everybody get together, time to love one another right now...."
Old 03-17-2015, 06:22 AM   #642
Rivet Master

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Chesterfield , Missouri
Nothing like a little personnel insult to get a thread fired up. Haha.. I'd be happy to pay.. (But no more than $9.98, and I would expect a coupon out on it somewhere.) "wink"
Old 03-17-2015, 08:15 AM   #643
3 Rivet Member

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Stowe , Vermont
The question was out there - would I pay a $10 fee to park overnight at Walmart. Yup!!!!! But I like free, because we will shop there for odds and ends. Note - When we travel west (almost yearly) from VT, our first day takes us to the Ohio Turnpike. The service areas are awesome with RV parking. For $20 you can hookup to 20-30-50 electricity, use a dump station, and fill w. potable water. Quite a deal for the weary RVer.
Old 03-17-2015, 09:55 AM   #644
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Center Moriches , New York
I'll second the thumbs up on Ohio rest areas. Leaving NY, a good day's drive allows me to reach OH. Over the years, I've used both the paid RV areas and, the truck parking areas of OH rest areas (when I didn't need RV services). I've overnighted at many Walmart's (and other stores). I've only been denied once at a Walmart in CO (I arrived after dark and saw there were NO other RVs or trucks parked). When I asked a manager about parking overnight, I was told a local ordinance banned it but, that another Walmart down the road allowed it. I spent NO money at the first Walmart and, drove five miles to the second Walmart. Again, no RVs or trucks were parked. I asked the manager there for permission and told her what the first manager said. The manager laughed and told me that both Walmarts were in the same jurisdiction and, there was NO such ordinance! The manager asked how long I wanted to stay. I answered that I'd be leaving in the morning and was given permission to park overnight. I did shop in that Walmart. I can afford to pay a campground and, over the years, have stayed in many. Why pay for campground services I'm NOT going to use? All I need is a night's sleep and a quick start in the morning. I have NO need for hook ups or to extend my slides. Pulling into campgrounds late at night is likely to disturb campers who have already settled down for the night (been there, done that). I do shop wherever I overnight so, local merchants benefit from business they otherwise would not have had. Sadly, there are "slob" campers who abuse the hospitality many businesses offer. I expect that such people are beyond redemption and would resist being educated as to proper manners and protocols about being a considerate and responsible "guest". Those people are the problem. For RVers who don't like / want to "stealth" camp, that's their choice and, it's fine with me. They should not get bent out of shape though, if others make different choices, especially when they are considerate guests.