Old 03-14-2015, 10:11 AM   #617
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
People will pay $500,000 more for motor home or up to $150,000 for AS & tv. then look for freebies to park. I have stayed for several hours in 3 rest stops in over 60 yrs. of travel for much needed rest. If on trip we look for mun. parks all way to fed. places, plan trip so I don't have to free load or put up with nonsense of others, several times places were a little off beaten path but found much local history and scenic views, so walmart is out for me or other bus. to free load off of.

Old 03-14-2015, 10:21 AM   #618
Agent 86

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Wal Mart overnight parking

If I was going to pay 500,000 for a motor home I wouldn't.

I would fly and indulge in room service.

But, the reason I park my $20,000 trailer in parking lots has more to do with convenience.

It did not take me long to figure out that as a rule, RV camp staff doesn't much cotton to arrivals after dark and I really never park before dark when I am in route.

1/2 Ton 4WD Truck, 72 Sovereign Hensley Arrow

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 06:27 AM   #619
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Greensboro , North Carolina
Walmart Parking or other

I am often on the road heading out for 1,000 miles or more to my destination. My desire is to get there, yet have adequate rest on the way. So, I will do the Interstate Rest Areas, major truck stops, and if a Walmart is convenient, as a last resort. The rapid "in & out" when one does not disconnect the trailer from the TV allows a more efficient journey to my final destination.

With that in mind, however, if my trip plan is to cover some interesting attractions on the way, I may us an RV campground for two nights so as to do my usual thing (photograph stuff) and be able to go whee a TV and trailer cannot.

And, finally, in some of the Wally Worlds i have stayed the afore mentioned night time activities of various "visitors" in the middle of the night can be disturbing.

And, while my moho was not quite $500,000 I did follow the same patterns when touring with it. The big disadvantage of the moho is the weight and length which prohibits so many roads from being utilized.
AIR #31871 WBCCI #4165 K4MTL

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 06:46 AM   #620
2 Rivet Member

2015 28' International
Edmond , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
True!

although, not "universal". some places have city ordinances that prohibit the practice. I believe they have a page on their website that lists the stores that allow overnight stays. I think all you need to do is check in w/ the store manager.

Sam's clubs do the same...also owned by Walmart.
They have signs posted no over night parking in Edmond, OK.
Old 03-15-2015, 08:01 AM   #621
3 Rivet Member

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Stowe , Vermont
Dear Featherbedder: We “resemble” that remark about freebee parking, but here’s the reality for our lives. My wife and I are both retired people with modest incomes, and have to watch our expenditures. We don’t go out to the movies and eating out is usually pizza or other fast food. We prioritize where our money is going. Taking our trips around the USA and Canada with our AS is at the top of our bucket list. Conserving money on our journeys is a fact of life. 1. On long travel days (600 to 700+ miles) we stop regularly at Walmarts, Cracker Barrels, etc. for both convenience (right off the highways) and savings. We always shop where we stop to “pay back” - far less expense than a campground 2. We do almost all our cooking and eat in. 3. When we arrive at our destination campgrounds, our activities are basically “freebees” - hiking - kayaking - biking. (We bring our own equipment.) I’m glad to hear that you have the unlimited ability spend as you wish, but to classify the rest of us as freeloaders puts you in a special class of people - narrow minded and condescending. Sincerely, a Vermont freeloader.
Old 03-15-2015, 08:25 AM   #622
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Time to repost this.

There some out of date places, however, most are good. I particularly like the free City Parks. Usually near places you could use and enjoy.....stores, laundries, coffee shops, etc.Free Campgrounds for RVs
Old 03-15-2015, 08:38 AM   #623
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
It sure has come a looong way since people headed to California in their covered wagons.
Old 03-15-2015, 09:14 AM   #624
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
And, you know.....places like WalMart that allow overnight parking are getting something in return.

RV'ers spend a ton of money at WalMart. Allowing overnight parking is good business sense. Same with Cracker Barrel.

My goal every day is not to find a free place to park, but free or inexpensive is good, and stretches out one's travel dollar.

When free or inexpensive is not available, or weather mandates electricity, I pay it and am glad for the conveniences.

Some are independently wealthy, for whom money is never an issue, but most of us are just ordinary folk trying to see the country while living within our means.

We have met some fulltimer folks in big Class A's who found increased fuel costs and stock market volatility put them in a position where they couldn't afford to drive, requiring them going from one inexpensive federal site to the next, just trying to stay afloat.

Some folks are just cheap, and always are looking for something for nothing, but you never really know......unless you know.

Be kind, be compassionate......you don't always know what kind of life others are living, or what burdens they bear.

Maggie
Old 03-15-2015, 09:29 AM   #625
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Angry Walmart camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by VT Wanderer View Post
Dear Featherbedder: We “resemble” that remark about freebee parking, but here’s the reality for our lives. My wife and I are both retired people with modest incomes, and have to watch our expenditures. We don’t go out to the movies and eating out is usually pizza or other fast food. We prioritize where our money is going. Taking our trips around the USA and Canada with our AS is at the top of our bucket list. Conserving money on our journeys is a fact of life. 1. On long travel days (600 to 700+ miles) we stop regularly at Walmarts, Cracker Barrels, etc. for both convenience (right off the highways) and savings. We always shop where we stop to “pay back” - far less expense than a campground 2. We do almost all our cooking and eat in. 3. When we arrive at our destination campgrounds, our activities are basically “freebees” - hiking - kayaking - biking. (We bring our own equipment.) I’m glad to hear that you have the unlimited ability spend as you wish, but to classify the rest of us as freeloaders puts you in a special class of people - narrow minded and condescending. Sincerely, a Vermont freeloader.
I also very limited income. Retired, my income is less than $ 35,000 per year nor do I get welfare of any kind or other fin. help, and I do not live lavishly, if I had not pur. AS in 1977 I would not be able to go out 4or 5 times a year nor have I stayed in priv. campgrounds since 1978. I have not been to a movie since 1960 and do not freq. fancy eating places so I'm not in elite status nor can I afford to go for pizza I make myself, do not take long travel anymore because of limited finances. I have pur. 1 new vehicle since 1978 then only because had to & Ford had 0% for 60 mos. in 2011. Further more I do all maint. on house & AS.
Old 03-15-2015, 10:09 AM   #626
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Forgot we go to local nascar once a yr. stay priv. campground only luxury we can afford if we did not save all yr. for it by not going out to eat or other luxury items etc. My oldest son pays for internet serv. as he also uses it.
Old 03-15-2015, 10:49 AM   #627
Agent 86

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
On Thursday I stayed at Lowe's. It was nice, quiet, and clean.

We stayed overnight, picked up after our dogs, and when we left it was as if we had never been there.

We pulled in just after dark and left mid morning Friday. I didn't shop at Lowe's that time, but I shopped plenty at Lowe's when building my trailer.

It isn't so much that I was being cheap avoiding paying the forty bucks to spend the night, but it is just way convenient to just pull off the interstate and camp.

The parking lot was already there, we parked out of the way, and we are regular patrons.

Freeloading? Yea maybe. But If it was my business, I wouldn't begrudge others for parking responsibly as I did.

Featherbedder, I respect your sense of morality and fairplay, we just disagree a little on this issue.

I offer you my sincere respect. Take care friend.

1/2 Ton 4WD Truck, 72 Sovereign Hensley Arrow

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 04:53 AM   #628
Rivet Master

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Chesterfield , Missouri
For me, staying at a Walmart, which we've done several times, is about 90% convenience, and 10% price. The ones we've stayed at, we spotted from the interstate.
It's always late at night, and we are ready for bed. It's just so easy..
Old 03-16-2015, 05:58 AM   #629
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Have stopped in an unmanned city rv park where one is requested to leave a donation. No power, just quiet as I was the only person there. They did have trash cans so I put some in and picked up some around the grounds the next morning as a thanks for the nice facility.

When pushing the limits for a day, when I get the message it's time to quit, I do not really care much about amenities as I will be asleep in the bed before I have time to worry about "fluff" I won't use.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 11:05 AM   #630
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Yep. Safer to pull over and park it than risk running off the road asleep.

About the only thing we really need on the road is an area to walk the dogs and someplace to deposit the cleanup.

Destination is another story.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums

2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote