Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-24-2016, 02:15 PM   #881
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Greensboro , North Carolina
What we are used to...

I have discovered I sleep much better in an environment which has city noises...trucks, sirens, cars, all a bit crazy, but these put me to sleep. For sure, if a quiet place is desired, truck stops are not the place to go.

One more note, if the stop is crowded, I try to park in one of the places semi-trucks cannot get in or are prohibited. I recognize they are earning a living, i am only playing.....
AIR #31871 KQ3H

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 02:47 PM   #882
Paul Zmann

Currently Looking...
Garland , Texas
RV Parking at the local Wally Mart. I did a google search and came up with this.
There is a Wall Mart Locator Website that talks about where to stay and the over night park etiquette.

Here is the Website:
http://www.walmartlocator.com/rv-parking-at-walmart/

They have a video on it
https://youtu.be/heh-KyvfL54?t=1

And you can also buy a Wall Mart Guide of the Wall Mart's that allow it.
http://www.walmartlocator.com/store/...econd-edition/
Paul Zmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 03:19 PM   #883
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
We stay at WalMart's from time to time and will continue to do so when appropriate with our travels. We also did a one nighter at Camping World. They even told me to park next to an electric post we were able to plug into.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 12:27 PM   #884
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1999 33' Land Yacht
Pooler , Georgia
ONP Walmart is a good app !
Cobia13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 02:03 PM   #885
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Fort Lauderdale , Florida
Send a message via Skype™ to Vitaver
Denver, Colfax ave Walmart parking

Spent Friday night parked there, while I locked both and took an Uber to sleep elsewhere and I was hardly able to sleep little while worrying about my rig, I got back to the Walmart at 4 AM and all was good! The area does not look very safe, but nobody hurt my babies. Not sure I would recommend overnighting there, but in my case it worked out just fine.
Vitaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 06:21 AM   #886
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitaver View Post
Spent Friday night parked there, while I locked both and took an Uber to sleep elsewhere and I was hardly able to sleep little while worrying about my rig, I got back to the Walmart at 4 AM and all was good! The area does not look very safe, but nobody hurt my babies. Not sure I would recommend overnighting there, but in my case it worked out just fine.
Since you stayed at a hotel, couldn't you have found one with a large parking lot for your trailer?

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 07:48 AM   #887
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
A trailer unattended might be subject to towing. I would never leave my trailer unattended in any parking lot, too risky as far as vandalism, theft or towing away us concerned.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 08:34 AM   #888
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I agree.

WalMart allowing RV's to courtesy park overnight does not equate with leaving your rig there, unattended, whilst you stay elsewhere.

Could indeed get you towed, and wouldn't that be a a very rude surprise when you arrived back in the morning.

Maggie
Old 10-26-2016, 01:38 AM   #889
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky B. View Post
Since you stayed at a hotel, couldn't you have found one with a large parking lot for your trailer?
Daughter's home, complete with son in law and 3 mo old first grandson. No hotel beats that
Old 10-26-2016, 01:46 AM   #890
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Quote:
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
A trailer unattended might be subject to towing. I would never leave my trailer unattended in any parking lot, too risky as far as vandalism, theft or towing away us concerned.
Well, I have to put is somewhere while waiting for the morning to take it to the AS shop in Denver. Walmart published a list of stores that, being the exception, don't allow overnight stays. There is no language there (that I recall anyway) about the need of warm bodies inhabiting the rig. Yes, I was worried about vandalism and could hardly sleep. The idea of a wifi camera (or several) with motion/sound detection triggered alarm to my iphone (the likes I have in both my homes) came to mind. And still is. Actually an all around camera system like in newer cars/trucks maybe an upgrade or option AS could offer. Even while camping, especially boondocking, such a view of the surroundings from inside the shell can be cool/safe.

I assure you that Walmart gets my share of dollars on my frequent visits when I park there for shopping. Who doesn't? It is the world's largest retailer (no, Amazon did not pass them over yet) for a reason
Old 10-26-2016, 08:30 AM   #891
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Just fyi one of this forums rules is play nice.

It is one of the founding ideas that keeps it such a highly productive and polite forum.

Yes we could all go on about what exactly "nice" is versus direct, to the point, assertive, matter of fact, etc....

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 09:01 AM   #892
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
I concur.

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 09:02 AM   #893
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
I agree.

WalMart allowing RV's to courtesy park overnight does not equate with leaving your rig there, unattended, whilst you stay elsewhere.

Could indeed get you towed, and wouldn't that be a a very rude surprise when you arrived back in the morning.

Maggie
Well said Maggie IMO.

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 09:51 AM   #894
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Site team has elected to remove a recent post from this thread, because: political

In addition to the "be nice" rule cited above, the following rule applies, especially as we head into the last couple of weeks of election season:
  • Discussions about politics, weaponry and religion are permitted only in association with the topic of this forum and will be closed or removed if they become disruptive.
If you must post something resembling a political remark, please do so elsewhere.

Thanks for your cooperation and your participation in the forums. We now return to our regularly scheduled programs.

- Site Team

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 11:32 AM   #895
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Quote:
Understood !
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 11:34 AM   #896
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Quote:
Daughter's home, complete with son in law and 3 mo old first grandson. No hotel beats that
I didn't mean to be rude, if it was taken that way....I just wondered. But you're right about the place you stayed. Nothing beats your family & NEW grandbaby!!! Congratulations! I would have done the same thing in a heartbeat!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 11:29 AM   #897
4 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
2020 25' International
Clinton , Land of Purple Mtn Majesty,Montana
Walmart has become my "last choice" for overnight parking.

I have just completed a 5000 mile round trip from western Montana to southern West Virginia. We spent a total of 10 days and 8 nights on the road. During this time we only used three campgrounds with full hook ups. Traveling the states of Montana, South Dakota, Iowa, Illinois, Ohio, Kentucky. I contacted three different Walmarts and was turned down by 2 of the three. It was only in Billings MT that I was told I could park for a maximum of 12 hours.
However, I was not turned down by three different Cracker Barrels, a Bob Evans and one Cabelas. I was really surprised at the Cabellas as they not only offered the parking but it included a dump station, water, dog kennels and even a horse corral. This was in Rapid City, SD. Consequently, Walmart is now my last choice for overnight parking.
Rpatrick16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 03:21 AM   #898
Rivet Master

2007 20' Safari
Old Orchard Beach , Maine
The Cabela's in Scarborough, Maine, just south of Portland off Route 95, also has $5.00 dumping (paid by credit card right by the dump station), fresh water, horse corral, and overnight parking, albeit near tractor trailers, so probably noisy. We go there for dumping when on the way home from anywhere without black & grey tank hookups. Cabela's is also a fun store to visit, and there are good pizza and BBQ restaurants in the same shopping center, while you're there.
2019-2022 President, Northeast Mountaineers Airstream Club
MaineStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 06:09 AM   #899
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Stowe , Vermont
That's great to know about Cabelas. We have also stayed at Walmart in Billings. We have been very lucky with "most" Walmarts in our 100,000+ miles. That being said, on our way from VT to FL for spring vacation every year we stay at Cracker Barrels. As we travel for VT to the Rockies almost every year we look forward to the service centers on the Ohio Turnpike where they have special RV parking with electric (for a few bucks).
VT Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 10:00 AM   #900
Rivet Master

2021 25' International
Full timer , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by VT Wanderer View Post
That's great to know about Cabelas. We have also stayed at Walmart in Billings. We have been very lucky with "most" Walmarts in our 100,000+ miles. That being said, on our way from VT to FL for spring vacation every year we stay at Cracker Barrels. As we travel for VT to the Rockies almost every year we look forward to the service centers on the Ohio Turnpike where they have special RV parking with electric (for a few bucks).
VT Wanderer -- I've also seen the Ohio turnpike spaces - and most usually look to have a few open even at 2am. The length though - do you find with your 27 (28') + TV, you aren't too long without un-hitching, and others who are staying at the rest area can get around you? The spaces look to be built for something more in the 16-20' range + TV.

Ian
IanPoulin is offline   Reply With Quote