Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-24-2016, 05:22 PM   #861
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob662 View Post
I easily understand why some prefer to overnight at a WalMart, and it doesn't have anything to do with money.

If one is just looking for a quick stop for the night, with no traveling to a more distant campground, not having to remove sway bars before backing into a campground pad, no hooking up to pedestals or getting out hoses, and a place that's close to the interstate that you'll be on in the morning, why not a WM?

I totally get it.
And don't forget you can go inside for supply's.
Old 08-24-2016, 05:23 PM   #862
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Walmart overnight parking

Yup, and Cracker Barrel is very nice for dinner and breakfast if you are so inclined.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 05:25 PM   #863
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
My best wife -- I figure I can say that because she often calls me her best husband -- has been complaining for some years that she wants to stay at the WM in Farmington so that she can shop until she drops all night long.

Good thing we never did it. For reasons unknown to me, we wind up with rig problems every time we go through Farmington. Full hookups welcome under the circumstances. (But circumstances change. Especially when you finally discover what had been causing problems for years in the Airstream.)

Lynn
Old 08-24-2016, 06:30 PM   #864
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
The dead horse gets flogged again and again and again, 62 pages same thing over and over
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 06:44 PM   #865
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Oh, i don't see it as a problem. Lots of folks use WM and the like as a convenient stop-over. We certainly have!

And, speaking of dead horses, the one in Farminton is smack in the middle of the trek from here to ... Dead Horse Point. But I'll still recommend staying at Mom And Pop's RV Park, which is just a block or so away from a pretty good breakfast place!

Lynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by featherbedder View Post
The dead horse gets flogged again and again and again, 62 pages same thing over and over
eubank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 07:41 PM   #866
4 Rivet Member

2014 28' International
Blacksburg , Virginia
It's ok

Quote:
This thread is okay in my book, Heck its started in like 04'. The next generation reading it nowadays. LOL

Don't click on it if you don't like it. It's a way better thread than arguing over tires and trying to convince everyone that 'ecoboost' is going to last as long as a V8 and a diesel.

I'm still laughing at the story of pulling in late at night and parking beside RV's at night and next morning seeing the 'For Sale ' signs.

Crazy 'China-Mart' ( that's what I call them) in Dublin Virginia is a stones throw away from I-81 and it has signs all over the place that says"Absolutely NO overnight RV or Tractor-trailer parking "

So someone must have abused that.

Safe travels everyone!
Old 08-24-2016, 08:34 PM   #867
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by eubank View Post
Folks are going to do what they want to do. Assuming that they're regular vacationers (and not economic refugees), price of rig has little to do with it, at least in our experience.

What I do feel sad about is those economic refugees that you see living in their busted-up RVs at Walmart, etc. Personally, I would not mind paying more local tax if the community would set up a park of sorts specifically for these folks. It's part of our American credo:

"Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Lynn
Agreed.

If you want to put money into the local economy, stay at a local CG. Spending money at a Walmart is convenient and we have done it too, but most of it goes to shareholders and the Wall family. Employees are underpaid and many have to use government assistance to survive.

I guess after a long day on the road, we want to stay somewhere nice even if we sleep most of the time and hardly use any electricity or water. Anyway $2 worth of electricity is hardly the only cost for a CG—property and other taxes, mortgage, maintenance, employees, cable TV, wifi, water and sewer, etc. For the income they generate, a CG uses a lot of real estate and property tax would be a higher proportion of their costs than for other businesses. Older CG's near city centers pay especially high property tax because often the town has grown around them and the land is worth more than the business.

It is usually quieter in a CG than free parking at a chain store or gas station. It feels safer even if it isn't. If there is safety in numbers, there will be more RV's around in a CG than a chain store or a rest stop.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 03:50 AM   #868
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxite View Post
OK...so a person misjudges their travel-plans and find themselves sleep-deprived and needing a couple hours rest in order to continue the trip safely. I can see how that might occur.
But I'm having a difficult time understanding those who expect and actually trip-plan-for a free camping space on business property in their $50K Airstream and $40K TV.
Are these the same people who denounce poor people on "welfare"?
Funny stuff. My Airstream and TV cost me half of your estimate. Not a fan of big box parking lots myself. But I can see where sometimes there is no choice but to park it where ever you can if the need arises. Also I think anyone on welfare should do some sort of public work such as the old CCC program and take madatory drug test.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 02:50 PM   #869
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
At the top of the posting section is a drop down for "Thread Tools". You can select 'Ignore this thread' and you won't see it anymore unless you search for it.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 03:04 PM   #870
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
Yup beating a dead horse but so what!
A quick overnite stop un a WalMart is great!
there is video survelliance, sometimes a patrol car, all the groceries and supplies you could ever need... we have always met exceptionally nice people who just happen to be fellow travellers!
If you dont like what you see, either move or move on! Despite seeing no parking signs all over the country... I alway ask for permission and have NEVER been turned away. I have been however been asked to be respectful of the property and not stay longer than 2 weeks!
People complain about WalMart and the China effect. To that I say everything found in WalMart is found inKMart Target and the like. Walmart just has a bigger roof!
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 04:40 PM   #871
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Funny stuff. My Airstream and TV cost me half of your estimate. Not a fan of big box parking lots myself. But I can see where sometimes there is no choice but to park it where ever you can if the need arises. Also I think anyone on welfare should do some sort of public work such as the old CCC program and take madatory drug test.
Sounds good.

Of course, a program like CCC costs a lot of money to administer. So do drug tests. Who's going to pay for that additional overhead? The taxpayer again?

And what if they fail the drug test. The taxpayer going to have to cure them also?

Meanwhile, working at the CCC camp, when will the welfare recipient search for a job? Or care for children? (Taxpayer nurseries too?) What about their healthcare and insurance while they're unemployed on the dole? Taxpayers again?

Simple answers are not usually workable.
Boxite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 03:26 PM   #872
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1999 33' Land Yacht
Pooler , Georgia
Go to app "ONP-Walmart" that will tell you
Cobia13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 03:38 PM   #873
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
We stop at Walmarts and over night anytime we are moving from one place to another that takes longer than 4 hours. Becuase it's convenient and we can stock up.

We did it on our way from La Grande, OR to Crater lake, staying at the Redmond Walmart, were we stocked up for the two weeks we'd be at Crater where there was no grocery shopping.

What's the big deal? To low brow for some I suppose? Oh well.
Old 09-21-2016, 10:50 PM   #874
1 Rivet Member

2016 19' Flying Cloud
Pleasanton , California
We found this video pretty useful. Has some good tips for overnighting at walmarts. https://youtu.be/sVvScIscBdo
Old 09-23-2016, 08:19 AM   #875
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakitu View Post
We found this video pretty useful. Has some good tips for overnighting at walmarts. https://youtu.be/sVvScIscBdo

Lakitu, thank you. Those folks put out some excellant videos.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 09-24-2016, 05:20 AM   #876
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakitu View Post
Welcome to the forum, and thanks for the video! A good overview with helpful general pointers as well.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 08:20 AM   #877
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Greensboro , North Carolina
Alternative parking

Well, I do park at Walmart, particularly when it is near an area I have an interest in photographing. But, when doing a long run (more than one day of travel) which I do fairly frequently, I prefer to stop at a large truck stop, parking either right out front in the regular parking lot, or if lots of space available in the truck lot, i will drop my 53 feet in between two trucks.

iPhone_09.16-20.2016_TFL-2 by Tommie Lauer, on Flickr

One advantage is, the security at a large truck stop, Petro, Flying J, and others is very big. I am parked in between hundreds of millions of dollars and no commercial stop wants any crime on its premises. Of course, if one has a front bed, then driving in head first may be best to have the bed near the rear of the trucks. There is noise and sometimes exhaust fumes, but in cool weather, not generally a problem if our windows are closed. Also, I try to get my 30RB backed in, with an open field behind me, and then the open back window is quite fresh in most cases.

Just my thoughts.....sent from Lennox, City Campground, Lennox, South Dakota
AIR #31871 KQ3H

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 08:30 AM   #878
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
I saw your photo on the other thread. Great symmetry and composition! Thanks.

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 09:48 AM   #879
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
I will park at truck stops never wal-mart. We don't stay as plan trips so spend couple days, then move on, no more long drives. When at truck stops or rest stops trucks have priority same on high way. THEY are earning LIVING and moving products, but some people don't like trucks, but think what I wrote about trucks before bashing trucks and drivers. Bill
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 10:29 AM   #880
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Only one attempt at a truck stop. Lasted a couple of hours and had to move on. The obnoxious noise and smells was too much for me.