Old 06-08-2014, 09:40 AM   #575

Currently Looking...
St. George , Utah
Don't plan on Walmart in So. CA. You won't be welcomed. First hand knowledge!

Old 06-22-2014, 02:37 AM   #576
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Greensboro , North Carolina
Walmart is usually a go except where local ordinances prohibit this.

As to the batteries running the propane furnace overnight, this should be OK if batteries are properly charged and maintained. Slept through a blizzard in a truck stop in Wyoming with my 2009 Int 27FB without an issue.

I have found the local stores such as Walmart tend to be noisy especially on Friday or Saturday nights due to the young folks out raising cane until early morning hours. Some of us old folks go to bed at 9 or 9:30 PM...... LOL

AIR #31871 WBCCI #4165 K4MTL

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 05:35 PM   #577
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Grand Junction is one of those places that has an ordinance against overnight parking at Walmart. We never go to the Walmart on the east side of town to shop, but that one has plenty of room to park if you can get away with it. The one on the west side (we try not to shop at any Walmart, but sometimes you can't find it anywhere else), just off Business 70 and US 50 & 6, has difficult parking for vehicles with trailers anyway. It is posted about the ordinance. These Walmarts also are frequently victimized by shoplifters—sometimes one or the other every day at least once. I don't know if other Walmarts are robbed regularly, but these are.

I only know of 2 CG's in GJ and neither are very nice. One on US 50 east is a somewhat crowded KOA with lots of permanent residents. The other one is in the middle of light industry near the junction of I-70 and Business 70/US 50 & 6. Better than the KOA, not so appealing. GJ is super-business oriented and will do anything the local Chamber of Commerce wants even if it means people suffer from pollution, noise, inconvenience or very low wages, or can't overnight at Walmart. I doubt these 2 CG's attract anyone to visit GJ.

Colorado NM is just south of the city and has a CG with great views. If you go there, go in at the Fruita entrance about 10 miles east of GJ—a lot easier drive. There's an effort to make it a national park, but a lot of locals think that will cause some evil change even though it only means the name will change. There are a spectacular series of canyons at the Monument and hardly anyone knows about it. It is half a mile above thew city, so not as hot as GJ. We live just east of it.

40 miles east of GJ is Delta with several CG's and a Walmart on Colo. 93. Grand Mesa is nearby both cities and has a number of CG's. For shopping for provisions, any one on I-70 will not see much of anything. If you get off on Horizon Dr., about a mile south is a Safeway with gas (10 cheaper for cash). If you come through on US 50, there's a City Market right past downtown (no gas, but a station a block or two away to the north), but parking may have to be on a city street.

Downtown GJ is very nice and Main St. Bagels' multigrain bread, muffins, sandwiches are great. Main St. is a semi-mall (you can drive down it) and has lots of little stores. No RV parking however.

Gene
Old 08-18-2014, 09:09 PM   #578
1 Rivet Member

1969 21' Globetrotter
Jackson Center , Pennsylvania
We spent the night in the Wal Mart parking lot in Daluth, MN. We thought we were big stuff until a decile pusher came and pulled up beside us and rsn their generator all night long!
Old 08-18-2014, 10:40 PM   #579
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
Ask b4 you park ...
Old 08-18-2014, 11:07 PM   #580
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
My DIL showed me where a 'camper' parked at their 'local' WM.... she said they 'set up camp' for a couple days then move... to another wM or Lowes.... for a day then return..

Poor folks appear to be homeless...except for their SOB ... BBQ pit, bicycles, tent.. portable Tiki torches, etc...
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 03:38 PM   #581
2 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB Classic
Scottsdale , Arizona
My Iphone Ap "ALLSTAYS" shows me which WM that allows me to stay plus it gives me their phone number so I call a head and ask. Yup I have staied in the parking lots that other RV's have set up camp and live like PIGS. That type will cause all stores to stop allowing us to park for free. Always ASK, Always be clean Always purchase from the store.
Old 08-19-2014, 03:51 PM   #582
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
A recent NY Times article pointed out that many WM no longer offer overnight parking because many of the people staying are those who simply can't afford to pay to stay anywhere. So, if allowed, they set up for as long as they can. A sad situation for anyone who finds themselves homeless.
Old 08-19-2014, 04:37 PM   #583
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Walmart in Oswego always have quite a few semis parked for several days and some weekends some bob tail some just trailers, they park out of way & I don't see any kind of debris or urine bottles, they are clean but don't see many rvs. Dznf0g prob. sees same thing as he lives close by. Oswego just enacted idle rule , but I never hear them idle, probly some live in area, off the road with family. This WM lot is always clean but lazy people leave carts every that they round up often. Truck parking in area is pretty limited, I thank WM for allowing parking.
Old 08-19-2014, 04:41 PM   #584
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by featherbedder View Post
Walmart in Oswego always have quite a few semis parked for several days and some weekends some bob tail some just trailers, they park out of way & I don't see any kind of debris or urine bottles, they are clean but don't see many rvs. Dznf0g prob. sees same thing as he lives close by. Oswego just enacted idle rule , but I never hear them idle, probly some live in area, off the road with family. This WM lot is always clean but lazy people leave carts every that they round up often. Truck parking in area is pretty limited, I thank WM for allowing parking.

Yup, and the WM in Yorkville too.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 04:42 PM   #585
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Los Lunas , New Mexico
It is a sad situation. We've got a couple of basically derelict rigs (SOBs) down at "our" Walmart in Taos that match the profile.

We've got free national forest campgrounds all over the area up here, but the forest campgrounds have, well, pretty smelly pit toilets. The Walmart has flush toilets and running water.

In truth, I wonder a lot about the future of Walmart. New corporate policy is to concentrate on the neighborhood stores rather than supercenters. And it makes sense, I guess. The new supercenter they built in Santa Fe three years ago is basically empty most of the time. You go to their humongous parking lot that would fit a few hundred cars and locate yourself a spot among the other five cars that are there. I just hope the planning and zoning commission that permitted the place made them create a trust fund to remove the behemoth when it dies.

Lynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert claus View Post
A recent NY Times article pointed out that many WM no longer offer overnight parking because many of the people staying are those who simply can't afford to pay to stay anywhere. So, if allowed, they set up for as long as they can. A sad situation for anyone who finds themselves homeless.
Old 08-19-2014, 05:41 PM   #586
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Carolina Low Country , South Carolina
We travel a great deal but have never used WM, the big fuel stops or any other overnight parking lot stop. However I can appreciate that it is convenient and helpful for some. I can not imagine people setting up camp, leaving trash, staying more than a short night or doing anything that would draw attention to themselves. This is shameful and will certainly have an effect on the availability of this type of stopover, affecting all that may need it. There must be a way to stop these people without the merchant closing this option for all. Sad that some are so selfish, taking advantage. Maybe knocking on their door, suggesting that you will report them to the staff at the facility if they do not clean up, pack up and move.
Old 08-19-2014, 06:25 PM   #587
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Due to a cascading series of issues trying to get the first Airstream home to the Phoenix area from Los Angeles, I pulled into my area Walmart around 4:00am after driving all night. The trailer storage unit did not open until 9:00am. I pulled into the local Walmart and went inside and asked if I could rest my eyes in my car for a few hours awaiting the storage opening. I purchased a jack stand and some parts. I was allowed to stay.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 09:24 PM   #588
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by gigi hamelly View Post
We spent the night in the Wal Mart parking lot in Daluth, MN. We thought we were big stuff until a decile pusher came and pulled up beside us and rsn their generator all night long!
The Duluth, MN Wal Mart is an interesting case. We stayed overnight there several years ago, but in recent years they have posted prominent signs that said "NO OVERNIGHT PARKING".

But we stopped there one morning a few weeks ago (to buy some things) and saw several RVs that looked like they had stayed overnight. One couple was getting ready to get underway and we asked them. They said they had asked in the store if they could stay overnight and the person they talked to said "Sure, go ahead", despite the signs to the contrary.