Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2016, 07:17 AM   #801
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaineStreamer View Post
Also consider Cabela's stores. http://www.cabelas.com/stores/stores_home.jsp They allow RVs to dump their black and grey water tanks and to get fresh water. This is a very nice self-service for $5 alongside the store near where I live. I just used the dumping service yesterday.
I don't think our (St Louis) Cabelas store has any facilities like you mention. I did stay at a Cabelas one night. We were taking the river road along the Mississippi River from St Louis up to MN. Found a huge Cabelas along the Mississippi in Iowa. It turned out to be a distribution center.. We were surrounded by employee parking the next morning, when the 6:00 shift came in..
Do most Cabelas allow overnight parking. We might be near the Sidney NE store later this month. (That's a nice one btw, their HQ.)

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 08:12 AM   #802
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I have also seen RVs apparently overnighting at Bass Pro Shops. I do not know what the corporate policy is on this. So just like at wallyworld I would ask the local manager.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 11:12 PM   #803
2 Rivet Member

1995 36' Land Yacht
Shawnigan Lake , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
Howdy......

Can anyone enlighten as to the truth that Wal Marts allow MHs and TTs to park overnight in their parking lots? I overheard someone say this, but as a beginner, I thought I'd ask the pros.

Thanks.....

Nick Danger, Third Eye
1989 370 LE
I have also stayed at a Home Depot in Scottsdale, AZ a few years ago when I first bought my Airstream Motor Home, I needed to stay somewhere for a few days before I hit the road for Canada. I asked at the customer service desk, I was however, also outfitting my rig with their merchandise, so they loved it that I was also doing quite a bit of shopping in the store as well.
nensihart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 12:17 AM   #804
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
A polite query, a full shopping cart, and not looking like you are setting up for a long stay seems to be the key for getting permission to camp out at a retail location.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 05:54 AM   #805
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
The SECU Caravan to the International overnighting at the Lowe's in Fayetteville, WV after being flooded out on the Gauley River.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	181.9 KB
ID:	268799  

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 08-11-2016, 06:28 AM   #806
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
The SECU Caravan to the International overnighting at the Lowe's in Fayetteville, WV after being flooded out on the Gauley River.
Thanks for the photo.

Nice of Lowes to accommodate this need. Great PR. I am wondering if anyone spoke with the manager, and whether this was a one-time event, or is Lowes AS-friendly for overnight stops? I just went to a Lowes for the first time for some electrical supplies for a friend, and the staff and inventory were great.

Thanks again,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 06:36 AM   #807
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
I imagine this was a one time deal due to the devastating floods.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 06:44 AM   #808
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
I imagine this was a one time deal due to the devastating floods.
Do not know. I do know that they were very happy to have us stay. We were good guest and spent some money in their store and the local eateries in the complex.

Old 08-11-2016, 06:59 AM   #809
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Box Elder (formerly Long Island, NY) , South Dakota
My Dynamax DX3-37RB is a Super-C Class HDT diesel puller. I've overnighted NUMEROUS times at Walmart, Cracker Barrel, Cabelas etc, etc without problem. Get the Allstays Camp & RV App for your smartphone. $10 VERY well spent. Allstays has an incredible amount of information useful to RVers including overnighting at Walmarts.
NY24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 07:23 AM   #810
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by GettinAway View Post
Do most Cabelas allow overnight parking. We might be near the Sidney NE store later this month. (That's a nice one btw, their HQ.)
They have a campground at the Sidney store, very nice one, nice rest rooms etc. You can make a reservation online I think, if not, by phone. The rate is very reasonable. It's about 100 yards to the Cabelas store.

There are some hotels and a few restaurants in the area. Other than the store, not much to see but good for an overnight. Mostly, it's a big open field with small trees and grassy sites. There's a nice amount of room between sites.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 12:21 PM   #811
345LE

1990 34' Limited
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
Seminole , Florida
I've always parked late night at Walmart, especially on long runs. They welcome more shoppers! a couple recommendations I have is one, park in the least busy area away from the store entrance. Two, pay attention to the employee area parking, designated by yellow parking lines. Stay clear of that area, as employees are coming and going all night long. Safe travels!
Bikerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 01:22 PM   #812
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by richw46 View Post
They have a campground at the Sidney store, very nice one, nice rest rooms etc. You can make a reservation online I think, if not, by phone. The rate is very reasonable. It's about 100 yards to the Cabelas store.

There are some hotels and a few restaurants in the area. Other than the store, not much to see but good for an overnight. Mostly, it's a big open field with small trees and grassy sites. There's a nice amount of room between sites.
Thanks! If our timing is right, we will be there.

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 02:36 PM   #813
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
How long is this thread going, it is like flogging a dead horse, after 58 pages basically saying same thing over and over.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 02:44 PM   #814
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
High River , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by featherbedder View Post
How long is this thread going, it is like flogging a dead horse, after 58 pages basically saying same thing over and over.
Yes, but it's something of an institution after 12 years!
AlbertF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 02:57 PM   #815
2 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Louisville , Kentucky
I use Allstays.com which shows the Walmart locations with a color code that indicates if parking is possible.
Candominium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 08:28 AM   #816
Rivet Master

2012 30' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
Walmart’s Out-of-Control Crime Problem Is Driving Police Crazy.

The above, an article in Bloomberg.com. A worthwhile read if you plan a Walmart overnight.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Howard L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 08:43 AM   #817

Currently Looking...
Lethbridge , Alberta
Good to know

Good posts everyone,

I've always seen trailers parked at Walmart and so assumed that it wasn't an issue, but I'm sure asking the manager would help to keep "overnighters" in good standing.

Hopefully change isn't in order.

Sam
samstream5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 08:57 AM   #818
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by samstream5 View Post
Good posts everyone,

I've always seen trailers parked at Walmart and so assumed that it wasn't an issue, but I'm sure asking the manager would help to keep "overnighters" in good standing.

Hopefully change isn't in order.

Sam

Welcome, also asking permission is simply common courtesy.

Old 08-17-2016, 08:59 AM   #819
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard L. View Post
Walmart’s Out-of-Control Crime Problem Is Driving Police Crazy.

The above, an article in Bloomberg.com. A worthwhile read if you plan a Walmart overnight.
. . .
Howard, thanks for the heads up! I assume you mean this article?

https://www.bloomberg.com/features/2016-walmart-crime/

. . . which seems to be mainly about shoplifting and other in-store problems like fights etc.. (from a quick glance)

Not sure how this would affect RVers overnighting, as it seem unlikely that a store manager would link the two IMO. The only mention I see is in the next-to-last sentence about campers etc. hunkering down for the night in the parking lot, with nary a mention of this being part of the problem.

Hopefully Walmart will not close the gates to RV overnighting!

Thanks again for the heads up.

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 11:38 AM   #820

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Saw this article today. It was enlightening. A lot of crime is opportunity driven and if some WalMarts have issues, then the fact that those folks creating the problems inside are out there in that parking lot too. It reenforces my feelings regarding not staying in Walmart or other businesses overnight. For example we have a very nice Walmart just off an interstate highway locally. Unknown to those parking in the lot is that the area right behind that Walmart has been a high crime area. Personally I'm not aware of any crimes specifically towards travelers although smash and grab seems to be the most common type of activity these days. While there is no guarantee that a local RV park is any safer, the fact that ease of access and easy flight/escape routes are many times an important factor in setting you up for a crime against you or your property.

I spent a night at a RV parking facility once that was in the south, that in all actuality was a college football stadium parking lot with full hookups. It was just off an interstate but was up on a hill and surrounded by trees. You paid to a box on an honor system. Needless to say that night I was the only trailer on the lot and felt extremely vulnerable. I only stayed because someone had recommended the site and by the time of day I got there I didn't feel like traveling further. Needless to say I won't stop there again and sitting on an empty blacktop lot doesn't make me sleep like a baby.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote